Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Connecticut HomeBrew Forum > Who is your LHBS here in CT?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #61
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
But see, that would fail to account for breweries with tasting rooms (think Thomas Hooker, Back East, Two Roads, etc), or those with flat out taprooms (and no food, so they're not brewpubs) like Firefly Hollow that should be coming on line later this summer.

I'm thinking, as JohnK93 stated, that Maltose's problem is a local one and not a state one.
I think the tasting rooms are considered seperate entities from the breweries, so its an additional liscence. Dont quote me though, its just a guess

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #62
FireflyBill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Howdy,

This is Bill from Firefly Hollow Brewing and Brew and Wine Hobby. Let me run down what we saw. In May of 2012 the law was changed to allow a Brewery & Brewpub combined license. There are 3 breweries in the state who are going for/registered for the state level license. Two Roads, Broad Brook, and us. The permit lets you manufacture and retail your own beer without food. AKA you can set up a true taproom for only your product- selling pints. You can also sell up to 9 liters/day to direct to consumer retail (read growlers). The issue comes into on a town level most zoning rules are not made with this in mind. The breweries usually are labelled as manufacturing such as Hooker, Back East, etc... This combined status has made it so there is a town by town conversation as to where you would fit in.

I hope that answers the question for those who are curious.

Bill from Firefly Hollow Brewing

Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #63
MarkSz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just curious why Maltose is expensive? We compare each month to Northern Brewer and other sites and we are right in line. Thanks
Mark
Maltose Express

Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #64
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 540

East Hartford- Brew and Wine Hobby!

Love those guys.

Ever have trouble getting a "big beer" to carbonate in the bottle? Read the "rules" and please add your story to the list!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #65
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Mark, maybe things have changed since the last time I went into Maltose - I'll grant it's been a while. I remember the one time I went in, I had two things that turned me off: 1) I asked for some ideas on a recipe, based on a specific style I was interested in brewing. The person I spoke to handed me two books (they may have been published by Maltose, I'm not sure) and told to browse through, pick out a recipe, and come back and find her and she'd go and find the kit, at which point she wandered off to "help" someone else. Not very hands-on service. And 2), when I did finally find something that sounded interesting, the kit came to about $60 - at the time, similar kits on Northern Brewer were running $30-$40, so I was a little turned off. And to continue the bad/questionable service, I was advised (this is well before I knew better) to pick up a Wyeast Propagator pack (back when they still made these things), and make a starter to sit overnight... This would be a starter from about 30billion cells (less whatever the age of the pack had killed off), with roughly 18 hours growth, to innoculate 5 gallons of 1.060ish wort? It turned out to be a really slow ferment, and no wonder... Lucky it finished off at all.

Not sure of NB and the like have come up in price since then, or if you've come down, but the triple-whammy of lousy service, high prices, and bad advice turned me off to the point of my not returning.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #66
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Since this is back alive...

Sadly Luck and Levity went under. No more New Haven HBS.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #67
MarkSz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good Afternoon,
I am sorry you had a bad experience at our store. This is probably the worst and most bitter review we have received in the 23 years that we have been in business. We take these very seriously and will pass this around at our weekly meeting and talk about it and discuss how we can improve our service.
1) Service: It appears you came in on a busy day and we did not spend enough time with you. We currently have 7 people working on Saturdays and really try to spend quality time with each person. We often spend 30 minutes to an hour with customers reviewing and helping them with their recipes.
2) Price: Since we started selling online, we try hard to keep our prices as low as possible. While our grains, hops, yeast and equipment are great values, our clone kits are still more expensive than the cheap kits online. This is due the fact that we use a higher quality malt, the proper grains and the proper hops and liquid yeast. Before we started selling online, I purchased several of the cheap kits on line and made them. We try to only sell kits that will come out similar to the original beer and I cannot sell kits like these. We are starting our brewery this November and all our beers had their start with our kit recipes.
3) Yeast. We brew many beers and for any beer with an alcohol potential of less than 8% we still recommend simply using a Wyeast pack with 100 billion cells. We make starters for beers with larger OGs. I still recommend popping the yeast packet, adding the packet to a starter with malt in the 1.045 OG range once the packet it is fully swelled and letting the starter sit overnight and using it in the morning. If I cant use it in the morning, I put it into the refrigerator to keep it active. This has worked out very well for me in the past, but home brewing allows brewers to do whatever they like with their beer and their yeast.
4) Reviews like this truly upset my wife and I and we have tried hard for 23 years to be pleasant and helpful to customers.
Mark
Maltose Express

Old 07-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #68
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Mark,
Sorry - no bitterness was intended, I was just trying to relay my (admittedly limited) experience. For what it's worth, those Propagator Packs, as far as I know, are off the market now, so nobody can make that same mistake anymore, which can only be a good thing. Though if you're recommending that your customers pitch a single smack pack or vial of 100 billion cells for anything with less than an 8% alcohol potential - I'd humbly suggest you read a copy of Jamil's Yeast book, if you haven't already. It might cause you to adjust that stance a bit, as that's a pretty significant underpitch for most worts with a OG of over 1.050 (OG is key, not alcohol potential!).

Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #69
wstbrewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Maltose Express

Little things can make a good experience go bad. I have always had good service at Maltose. I was disappointed lately when I brought back a new aluminum (just purchased a maltose a month or so before) O2 tank for its first refill and was told they don't fill they swap. What I had brought back out to me was a nasty looking painted steel tank. I would think that buying a new aluminum tank would get swapped for a new aluminum tank. Disappointed and wondering why I wasted money there on a new tank in the first place. :-( Things like this can make people not return.

I don't think that all negative reviews are bitter. Sometimes people have good days and sometimes they have bad days. As long as there are more good than bad, then life is good I guess. I have heard lots of negative things over the years about Maltose, but other than the o2 tank life has been good. As for the o2 tank.. I guess it is just a lesson learned. You got me on that one. I wonder if my 'new' tank was sold to someone else as new...

wstbrewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSz View Post
Good Afternoon,
I am sorry you had a bad experience at our store. This is probably the worst and most bitter review we have received in the 23 years that we have been in business. We take these very seriously and will pass this around at our weekly meeting and talk about it and discuss how we can improve our service.
1) Service: It appears you came in on a busy day and we did not spend enough time with you. We currently have 7 people working on Saturdays and really try to spend quality time with each person. We often spend 30 minutes to an hour with customers reviewing and helping them with their recipes.
2) Price: Since we started selling online, we try hard to keep our prices as low as possible. While our grains, hops, yeast and equipment are great values, our clone kits are still more expensive than the cheap kits online. This is due the fact that we use a higher quality malt, the proper grains and the proper hops and liquid yeast. Before we started selling online, I purchased several of the cheap kits on line and made them. We try to only sell kits that will come out similar to the original beer and I cannot sell kits like these. We are starting our brewery this November and all our beers had their start with our kit recipes.
3) Yeast. We brew many beers and for any beer with an alcohol potential of less than 8% we still recommend simply using a Wyeast pack with 100 billion cells. We make starters for beers with larger OGs. I still recommend popping the yeast packet, adding the packet to a starter with malt in the 1.045 OG range once the packet it is fully swelled and letting the starter sit overnight and using it in the morning. If I cant use it in the morning, I put it into the refrigerator to keep it active. This has worked out very well for me in the past, but home brewing allows brewers to do whatever they like with their beer and their yeast.
4) Reviews like this truly upset my wife and I and we have tried hard for 23 years to be pleasant and helpful to customers.
Mark
Maltose Express

Old 08-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #70
MarkSz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry about the CO2 tank return, you are right, when you bring in a new CO2 tank you should get a new CO2 tank in return. I would appreciate it if you would mention this when you get the tank rather than online later on. We try very hard and have spent a lot of time for little profit over the years trying to give great service. I will talk about this at our weekly meeting to ensure people get newer good looking CO2 tanks when they bring in a new tank. If you like, bring the ugly tank back and we will swap it with a newer nice looking tank for you. Until last week I charged the same for new tanks as for used tanks so we did not try to rip you off by giving you an older tank for your trade in. We try to give people the best price on tanks.
Mark
Maltose Express

Quick Reply