Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Connecticut HomeBrew Forum > Who is your LHBS here in CT?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #41
JohnK93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just started brewing 3 batches ago and have been going to Maltose Express. Others have said they are pricey, but I think it's a great shop, has a good selection and supply of kits, ingredients, and equipment. They'll also put together a kit for you if they don't already have it, and on their new website you can order ahead so your kit is waiting for you when you get there. I have never shopped around (except online and after shipping it's a draw), but the prices seem reasonable to me. They're friendly and knowledgable and have been very helpful to a new brewer and I will definitely continue to give them my business.

Maltose is also planning to open a taproom in the next year or so where they will sell (I think) kegs and growlers.

JK Brewing
Primary: Hefe
Bottled: OK-toberfest, Kolsch (honey, strawberry, raspberry), dry stout, IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #42
Jeepinctbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Ive been to cork and brew, zoks and brew and wine hobby in east hartford. i prefer brew and wine hobby, their prices are very fair and the owner knows a lot about everything homebrew.

they are moving into a new larger shop in the next month or two http://www.brew-wine.com/

X2 new shop is really nice, good prices, great people

Primary- AHS our special holiday ale mini mash
Secondary- Northern brewer oatmeal stout mini mash
On tap- Redhook Esb clone
Bottled-Shining star pale ale

Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #43
Biere_Titan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll offer a hat tip to the folks at Maltose. They've got a wide range of fairly priced kits and have always offered good advice on brewing and designing recipes. They are a bit pricey when it comes to equipment, though.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #44
Atio
Recipes 

I've gone to Brew and Wine and Maltose. The people I dealt with at both stores were very good. I went to Maltose with a specific item in mind so I was in and out a bit quicker. The gentleman I talked with at Beer and Wine talked with me for almost an hour and answered all my noob questions.

I'm going to have to check out Cork and Brew. I thought from their website they were only a assisted brewing facility, so I'll have to take a run out there and see what they have for supplies.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #45
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Go into Cork and Brew with a little caution. Their supplies are a bit on the expensive side, but probably comparable with maltose. On the ingredients side of the house - they hang onto yeast longer than they probably should, don't tend to stock a lot of the better dry yeast varieties (if you're looking for US-05, S04, Notty, or the like, look elsewhere - if you're looking for Cooper's or any other cheapo yeast that most knowlegeable folks will tend to tell you to avoid, they're pretty well stocked in that). Looking for hops? They apparently have some varieties of hops in bulk in the back and measure them out in small baggies for you when you purchase - so you're not getting sealed, purged or vacuum sealed packages of hops, and you don't really know how they've been stored or for how long. DME is similarly repackaged, and I've found loose grains floating around in mine, so you definitely want to make sure to give it a good boil to kill off any lacto that could be hanging out in there.

And forget about asking for advice or substitutions about anything. They will literally walk to their desk and pull up google. The last time I had any interactions with them, I was calling around looking specifically for Golden Oats, trying to avoid ordering them online and paying stupid shipping charges. They didn't have them, and I heard her clicking away at her keyboard Googling for a substitution, and the next thing I know she's trying to tell me that "2-row is very similar to Golden Oats." I didn't even bother carrying on the conversation, just moved on...

Long story short, they seem to be good for an emergency "Oh crap, just broke another hydrometer and I need another one for this weekend," but, other than that, Brew and Wine and Maltose are much better alternatives.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #46
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I keep having very good experiences at Maltose. I would shop around before buying any equipment there, but their ingredients are pretty reasonable. I only ordered from another place on the internet once because Maltose didn't have it listed on their site (Pilsen DME), but for all I know I just had to go there and ask...they might have it in the back.

On my last visit, I was grabbing some of their pre-meausred, 1lb bags of grains for my recipe, even though I only needed .5 or .25 lbs. One of the guys there said they'll fill the grain bill in the back and mill it so I didn't have to buy anything more than what I needed...saved a bunch of money. We also had a great discussion about the hops I was considering and they gave me some good advice. The last pack of yeast I bought there was about 4 months old, but it was a kolsch, which might not move as quickly as a 1056, for example. I always find them to be very helpful and highly recommend them, at least for grains, extract, hops, and yeast.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #47
mpc88
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes View Post
FYI - If you join the CTBeertrail Trail Blazers club, you can get 10% off at a few of the CT homebrew stores as well as a some bars and restaurants! It definitely helps to make the CT LHBS' more competitive.
will do that, we need more comp in CT. it looks like we're lost sometimes in any burgeoning industry,

Old 07-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #48
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Rumor has it that we have a new brew supply opening in Brookfield shortly!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #49
mpc88
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes View Post
FYI - If you join the CTBeertrail Trail Blazers club, you can get 10% off at a few of the CT homebrew stores as well as a some bars and restaurants! It definitely helps to make the CT LHBS' more competitive.
will do that, we need more comp in CT. it looks like we're lost sometimes in any burgeoning industry,

Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #50
tomCT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
Rumor has it that we have a new brew supply opening in Brookfield shortly!
Not a rumor - it is true! On Federal Road in 6 - 8 weeks.

On another note, on a recent visit to Maltose, found that they have reduced their grain prices. Most 50 lb bags are now $55. Smaller multiple lb. quantity prices are also lower, typically $1.60.

Quick Reply