New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Connecticut HomeBrew Forum > Who is your LHBS here in CT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #31
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks for the report!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #32
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2436 Times on 1420 Posts
Likes Given: 5657

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
A new homebrew shop has opened in downtown New Haven.

Finally.

Luck & Levity Brewshop had its grand opening this past weekend. I met the owner on Sunday. He's very interested in helping to develop more of a brewing culture in the area. They have a great space on Court Street. They have a lounge area with couches and access to wifi.

I believe they will cater to the metro area and have a lot of small scale kits. They had the 1 gallon Brooklyn Brew Shop kits available. They also have a good assortment of grains. They had a cooler in the back for hops and yeast. They have the Wyeast line of yeast. They also had some equipment in stock. Prices seemed comparable with other LHBS in the area.

I spoke to Scott, the owner about starting up a local homebrew club. He was excited and supportive of the idea. In addition, they are going to have a Thursday tasting event. Every Thursday, people are welcome to bring in beer to share.

I'll be talking to him more about developing a brewclub, so keep an ear/eye/nose out for the New Haven Brew Club.
Sounds like a good place. If they have a decent price on a 50# sack of two row it might be worth the drive from Groton. Cheapest I've found so far is $58 for Rhar 2-row. Might even come down one Thursday for the tasting event to see how it is.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #33
ArcticBear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

the owner is a nice guy, he's got a ton of ideas and the space to grow.

Stopped by the tasting event thursday night, not a huge turnout but he's still new and hopefully it grows some

Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #34
philber
Home Brew Hacker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'll be swinging in there this afternoon to pickup a few bags of grain.

Fermenting: Pilsner
Kegged: Brown Ale, Czecked Pilzner, Sweet Stout, Seltzer Water

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #35
philber
Home Brew Hacker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well I picked up a bag of grain (3pm on a Sunday!), I got the last one price was great for LHBS, lowest I have seen. Worth the trip from Stamford. Scott has quite a good selection, just not huge volume yet. i will call before coming next time and plan ahead. If you live nearby then you don't need to buy in bulk like we do here.

So happy to have my fermenters bubbling away

Fermenting: Pilsner
Kegged: Brown Ale, Czecked Pilzner, Sweet Stout, Seltzer Water

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA
JohnnyO Likes This 
Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #36
Evan_L
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Haven't seen anyone mention Zok's in Willimantic yet. Lucky enough to live a few blocks away. Great guy, very helpful so far for this new brewer.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #37
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_L View Post
Haven't seen anyone mention Zok's in Willimantic yet. Lucky enough to live a few blocks away. Great guy, very helpful so far for this new brewer.
I went once to drop off beer for a comp and bought a couple cases of bottles while I was there, but Rob's is closer to me. It looks like he has a good selection, though, so you're lucky to live so close.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #38
JohnnyO
Meh.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 470

Zok is an awesome homebrewing resource for CT. The guy knows a lot about it. Super friendly too. I believe he specializes in ciders, meads and lagers as he consistently wins in the Southern New England Regional Homebrew comp in these categories.

He also writes a column for the regional Ale Street News. His name is Paul Zocco.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Zok is an awesome homebrewing resource for CT. The guy knows a lot about it. Super friendly too. I believe he specializes in ciders, meads and lagers as he consistently wins in the Southern New England Regional Homebrew comp in these categories.

He also writes a column for the regional Ale Street News. His name is Paul Zocco.
Yeah, I was there judging this year and I left after the winners for the categories I entered were announced, but I heard his name called at least three times. I don't remember what categories he won, though.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #40
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I just went to Luck&Levity in New Haven last night for the tasting social. I am pumped. It is a big store, with lounge space and bigger plans for even more cool add-ons. The owner was very friendly and told me he could source me anything I needed, and his prices seemed really comparable to online stores. Frankly, I am happy to spend $2 more on an order and not have to wait for shipping and hope that the ice pack for the yeast lasted long enough and the UPS guy didnt dropkick my carboy. Not to mention if I need something last minute, I dont have to dread a long drive anymore. Location is great, there are LHBS in CT but strangly enough, not so much in the greater New Haven area. Until now!

I recommend the thursday gathering. I had a blast. Met a few guys that were really cool and hope to be trading and tasting more there.

Kegged - Robust Porter
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, Half-wit (100%Brett), Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, coffee porter, Rice Saison, Apple Cider
Primary - Blueberry Blonde, Amber Ale

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Quick Reply