Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Connecticut HomeBrew Forum > Who is your LHBS here in CT?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
guelerct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I cover the state for work and have used them all. I live near Maltose and use them often b/c they have good inventory and the staff is helpful.
I had a bad experience with BMW in Hartford and will not go back.
I just stumbled on the East Hartford store and was very impressed. The prices are very good and they had a bigger hop selection than Maltose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
BunzoBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Rob's homebrew in Salem CT is my go to spot. The prices are reasonable and they recently dropped em.

www.bestwaytobrew.com

Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
roxbob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm in Branford, so I'll go out to Stomp and Crush if I need any equipment (tubing, hydrometers, etc), but I find the ingredient prices are not competitive with online suppliers, unfortunately. I'd happily pay a few bucks more, but not $10-$20 per batch. I use Northern Brewer for my ingredients, have been very happy with them so far.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
bendersae
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Stomp N Crush for me. They are the closest. Support your local businesses. The money you spend there gets spent by the owner and employees back in the community.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #15
Katnip
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey all - I drove out to BMW yesterday since I was in Hartford for lunch and they were closed (oh well) and then thought I'd stop in Eli Cannon's new shop across the street from the Tap Room in Middletown since I live a couple blocks away, and that was closed to.

I'm doing a great job learning which days which shops are closed.

Has anyone checked out Eli's shop (I was in once before my brewing equipment had arrived) and does anyone have an opinion on the best local source for bottles? I'm too good about recycling my empties to clean those out and use them but I'd rather pick bottles up than have them shipped.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I go to Stomp 'n Crush. It's a further drive than Rob's (I'm in Groton), but I like the selection and service better. /2 cents

Also, there's a huge local, fresh grocery store (almost like a farmer's market) a few exits up 95. Great for picking up herbs or vegetables for specialty brews.

Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Old 05-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

stomp 'n crush is about 2.1 miles from my house so i'm there regularly. The owner is a good guy and he's got just about everything you need. Some of his equipment prices are a little on the higher end but he's relatively competitive with most online stores. for convenience and for supporting a good local dude i'm sticking with them.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Also of note with Stomp 'N Crush, he hosts monthly brew club meetings, and other events. On Big Brew Day he had a BBQ/brew party. He made a wheat ale with Soriachi Ace; seemed interesting. It was a lot of fun, and I realized that fly sparging doesn't have to be as complicated as I thought.

Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephonovich View Post
Also of note with Stomp 'N Crush, he hosts monthly brew club meetings, and other events. On Big Brew Day he had a BBQ/brew party. He made a wheat ale with Soriachi Ace; seemed interesting. It was a lot of fun, and I realized that fly sparging doesn't have to be as complicated as I thought.
I was the other guy brewing at stomp 'n crush on big brew day only left with that small war wound on my leg haha. I'll likely keg that brown ale on monday

Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #20
Uconnrh11
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnip

Has anyone checked out Eli's shop .
I stopped in two weeks ago and it seems like they have stopped the homebrew section. All I saw were t-shirts and some gift shop items. Nothing for brewing. Too bad. I was looking forward to having a close store. Maybe I just caught it at a bad time.

Quick Reply