Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Rhode Island HomeBrew Forum > Anyone in RI built Kals electric brewery?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
SmoothCrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Of course im willing to help out a fellow brewer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well, I realize this thread is rather pointless without pictures. Mine's not nearly as "blingy" but here goes:

First off, I received a larger enclosure as the 16x16x8 was out of stock, and it made more sense to me to orient it with the top that opens upward (since you almost never open it after it is completed). I like the horizontal look of things but it did complicate the wiring since the BK/MLT/HLT wiring diagrams are reversed on Kal's setup. Anyway, it's done, now!

Here are a couple pictures of the wiring. If I had it to do again, I would probably cut the wires a bit longer than needed, just to make it easier to route them neatly.

This is the direction I'm going with my "kettles." Two will be keggles and the MLT will be made from an unused food grade 30gal plastic barrel. This means I can actually make 10gal batches of high-gravity beer. I plan to use a mixture of weldless and silver-soldered fittings.

This lid option seemed really cool so I went with it. (I will say that I had a heck of a time with the $5 rivet gun from HarborFreight but their customer service was amazing. After I went through two of the $5 ones, they let me exchange for the $10 one --gave me like $.42 back--and it worked like a champ.) The washers are stainless steel washers that come in orange plastic 2-packs for about $1 ea at HD. I have a plan for the middle "handle" part that involves a lathe, but I'm going to wait to reveal more.

SmoothCrown Likes This 
Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
SmoothCrown
Recipes 

wow this looks great! Im at a bit of a standstill do to getting laid off a few weeks ago. ill have to gather some of my photos and share!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
SmoothCrown
Recipes 

Here are some quick pics I had while doing the build. Partially wired, lit up with some juice and the front with some labels on it.

As you can see my enclosure is huge. I got it for free from my father in law who works in an industrial setting. It wasnt very pretty when I got it, huge holes where the gauges where, so thats why it now has a stainless front. Something I was lucky enough to get from work.

2012-05-19_22-38-21_911.jpg   2012-08-23_15-59-20_759.jpg   2012-05-21_20-05-22_409.jpg   2012-04-21_16-02-38_341.jpg  

Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Thats really awesome. I cant believe the transformation from the "before" picture!

What kind of work do you do? Any other job possibilities yet? I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you. After all, you need to be well funded so you can stay ahead of me in this build and I can ask you questions. Haha

Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
SmoothCrown
Recipes 

Ha! I like the way you think. I've done a little of everything so Im sure something will come along that will fit. BTW if you really need help with the wiring just let me know! I enjoy electrical work.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Well, I had a pretty good weekend:
Built my element boxes and power cords
Turned some wooden handles for my keggle lids
Tried cutting element holes in the keggles but discovered I bought the conduit punch by accident (ordered the correct hole punch but have to wait for it to come in the mail).

My wife has decided she wants an actual electrician installing the outlet so I guess I have to go that route.

My last remaining expenses are pumps and hoses. I want to go with the chugger pumps but even at those prices, they are a bit rediculous for moving beer and water from place to place. *sigh*

Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
SmoothCrown
Recipes 

Wow your really moving along! At this pace you will be done before me, which means I can ask YOU questions haha. I can understand your wife wanting an electrician doing the work but if you find it to be to expensive let me know. The biggest thing an electrician has over me is a piece of paper but that's the way of the world. I cant wait to see your final setup!

I decided that I didn't like the way the bottom of the panel looked so I upgraded it.

panel-bottom.jpg  

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
KramE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, now that's a rig! Looks amazing.

Oh, and hello from Providence.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Heya PVD! Welcome to the convo. Any chance you are (or aspire to become) an electric brewer?

I have an electrician coming by today for an estimate so I can actually plug my control panel into something. Haha

Quick Reply