Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > Yeast from commercial breweries?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
andrhamm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Yeast from commercial breweries?

I've heard stories of people walking into commercial breweries and getting a growler/keg filled with yeast since a commercial size batch of beer yields a metric ****ton of yeast slurry... has anybody else heard of that kind of thing or know if any of the breweries in the greater boston area would do this for homebrewers?

I suppose bigger breweries have proprietary yeast strains and all that but still...

Cheers,
andrhamm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 890 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 113

there's a semi-chain brew tavern here in our town that brews an india dark ale that I like. i kind of wondered aloud at my brew club if they thought the brewer would share the recipe and most were like, "yeah, just go talk to Joe and he'll hook you up, answer any questions you have"

he sure enough did. I didn't ask him straight up for the recipe, but he gave me the grain bill and what hops they used for what. he answered my questions and before I left told me that if I gave him enough lead time, he would hook me up with as much yeast as I could carry. (mental picture of me hauling big gob of slurry under each arm, trying to unlock the car door)

lesson learned: doesn't hurt to ask, the worst that could happen is they say "no"

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply