Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > Trip to Boston needs some brewpub planning...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #11
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1519 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 957

Stop in at the Daily Catch on Hanover Street for some Italian Seafood... mmmmmmmm good. Then go to Mike's Pastry down the street for some cannoli. Somewhere near Harpoon is the Noname. Wonderful seafood but it's cash only.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #12
TerapinChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Allright, I looked up some statistics on Roxbury/Dorchester.

Roxbury looks like something I can relate to....

" In particular, a riot in response to the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. resulted in stores on Blue Hill Avenue being looted and eventually burned down, leaving a desolate and abandoned landscape. Rampant arson in the 1970s along the Dudley Street corridor also added to the neighborhood's decline, leaving a landscape of vacant, trash filled lots and burned out buildings. The arrival of the crack epidemic in the 1980s helped make Roxbury one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Boston. " - Wikipedia

This I can relate to parts of Detroit, for sure. But a search in the same engine for Dorchester yields:

" The eastern areas of Dorchester (especially between Adams Street and Dorchester Bay) are primarily ethnic European and Asian, with a large population of Irish Americans and Vietnamese Americans" "the northern section of Dorchester and southwestern section of South Boston is the Polish Triangle, where recent Polish immigrants are residents" "Western, central and parts of southern Dorchester have a large Caribbean population (especially people from Haiti, Jamaica, Barbados, and Trinidad and Tobago). "

These all sound like they lead to one of my favorite things....good food! Although it may be different in actuality than in statistics, for sure...

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Also for some seafood, the sail loft is a decent place, but the daily catch is great and not super expensive.

A lot of pepople are going to reccomend Legal Seafood once you get into boston, and granted they are good, but there are other local places that are just as good and a little less expensive. If you want the legal seafood experience, go to the legal test kitchen it is on the waterfront near the harpoon brewery. It is a more modern less stuffy version of legal seafodds where they test out dishes before adding them to the menu.

And about dorchester, it is huge, there are nice areas and not so nice areas, the thing is that there really are not that many good places to eat (I used to live there) and if you don't know where you are going and make a wrong left turn, well you get the idea.

I'll update the map with some good food places later today, the drink places have martinis next to them the breweries have green push pins, and I'll put something next to the good places for some food.

Oh and memorial day weekend in boston is going to be a blast. There will be tons of stuff to do.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Additionally boston is a good city for Yelp, I yelp quite frequently and have some reviews of places that are decent on the site. www.yelp.com

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D

Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
bkwudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
LOL this has been a suprisingly interesting topic.
Especially some nice seafood, especially if it's the dirty, local, fresh as hell kind of seafood place

them!

Well then the only place you want to go is the "NO Name" It is ON the fish pier!

15 1/2 The Fish Pier
Boston, MA

Quote:
No Name couldn't be more of a hole-in-the-wall if it tried. However, it has good seafood and some of the freshest lobster you will ever taste.
And you can walk to the Harpoon Brewery !

Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #16
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know how much you were planning on traveling from Boston, but there's a wonderful tapas bar in Somerville (yeah yeah slumerville) that is supposed to be incredible! In peabody about 20 minutes north of boston theres a Brazilian Churrascaria called FireBull that has portuguese and brazilian beers on tap as well as an INCREDIBLE rodrizio.

I live about an hour north of boston, so if you wanted some great places up this way I know plenty of them.

As far as boston, you have to do top of the hub, its expensive but its at the top of the Prudential Center and the food is supposed to warrant the price.

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #17
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloHoppa View Post
I don't know how much you were planning on traveling from Boston, but there's a wonderful tapas bar in Somerville (yeah yeah slumerville) that is supposed to be incredible! In peabody about 20 minutes north of boston theres a Brazilian Churrascaria called FireBull that has portuguese and brazilian beers on tap as well as an INCREDIBLE rodrizio.

I live about an hour north of boston, so if you wanted some great places up this way I know plenty of them.

As far as boston, you have to do top of the hub, its expensive but its at the top of the Prudential Center and the food is supposed to warrant the price.
We go to top of the hub somewhat regularly after work as my office is in the prudential tower. They are O.K. but waaay over priced for what they are. My reccomendation is to go up to the bar and have a drink, then "get lost" when you are looking for the bathroom. A cheap beer up there is $9, but the skywalk, or observation deck one floor below is $12 to go up, so I mean save yourself the 3 and get a beer to boot.

Quote:

Old 05-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #18
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just as an update, I will be staying in Jamaica Plains but don't have the address. I will for sure be checking out Ten Tables (hopefully for their wine dinner), James' Gate, and the Noname place. Also will be checking out the Sam Adams Brewery, and possibly Garden @ the Cellar. But I have a lot of time here, and will probably be eating a lot more than I will be drinking Although I plan on doing quite a bit of each Was also thinking of the Craigie Street Tavern, but only if I can get in for the Wednesday or Sunday tasting.

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ten tables on Tuesday nights is great, I live in Jamaica Plain myself, and can't speak highly enough of the neighborhood and the restaurants in the area.

James's Gate is pretty cool, just stay on the bar side, or eat outdoors, the dining room is a little weird for my tastes. The bar is great in the winter with the huge open fireplace. They also have old speckled hen on tap, or at least they did about 3 weeks ago.

Right up the street from james gate is the JP seafod cafe, they have great sushi if you are in the mood and make some good soup.

And don't forget to stop by JP licks, they had a special leprichaun brew ice cream that they made with sam adams beer, it was a seasonal thing for the spring, and I don't know if they still have it but beer flavored ice cream was great.

Quote:

Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Nice! I already had JP Licks on my list I just couldn't remember the name when I was posting. Also on my list (now that it's in front of me) were Chau Chow City for Dim Sum, Union Oyster House for raw bar (and history), and The Formaggio Kitchen, because I love cheese and charcuterie!

Is it tough to get a spot for Ten Tables Tuesday night coursing?

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Quick Reply