Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > Trip to Boston needs some brewpub planning...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
TerapinChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Trip to Boston needs some brewpub planning...

Anybody make suggestions as to where I should be looking to go? We'll be in Boston for a week, and have a fairly open schedule. I'd like to do the Sam Adams tour, but would like a few good suggestions on places for a good pint. And any killer local lunch spots...

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 112

are you going to be in Boston or the burbs?

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well the sam adams tour and the harpoon tours are both great, but you have to do those on the weekends, during the week they are not open. In terms of places for beer you should go to the sunset grill and tap. Food is ok, but they have about 100 beers on tap.
http://www.allstonsfinest.com/

There is also a place called Bukowski's, food is mediocre, but they have about 20 beers on tap and almost anything you could ever want to taste in a bottle. It is a little funky, but the good beer really makes the place.

Other than that there are many many great places to eat and drink, it depends on what your budget is and what type of food you want. I used to reccomend places for a living, so I know most of the good places in boston and cambridge, let me know more details about your trip and I'll see what types of places will fit you best.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

OK I made you a google map and we can all collaborate by adding good places in boston we reccomend, the link is here
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&h...57249&t=h&z=14

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D

Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Map is awesome! What's up with the "Don't go here" and the "Danger" section? Without explanation, those are likely to be the first places I go.

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 05-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I haven't looked at the map but I'm betting Dorchester and Roxbury. Don't ask and don't go there.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I added http://www.redbones.com/.
Good beer and good food.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Check out Sunset Grille in Allston, right off of Commonwealth Ave. Over a hundred beers on tap, even more in bottles.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnmilford View Post
I haven't looked at the map but I'm betting Dorchester and Roxbury. Don't ask and don't go there.
Yes big john, it was dorchester and roxbury, I also circled the bromley heath projects and the old colony projects as well... Oddly enough I used to live in dorchester, and across the street from the old colony projects, just really not for outsiders.

They are the areas of town where baby mommas get in fights with other baby mommas and you see a liquor store on every corner. Not the nicest areas, and if you are looking for good places to eat, you won't find them in those areas.

One of my favorite quotes that sums up the neighborhood of dorchester would have to be from the day I was sitting on my back porch listening to my neighbor on her porch having a conversation. I only heard one side but it went something like this:
Her: " I'm not threatining you... I'm not threatining you... Look I see your point and I am staying calm... I'm not threatining you."
Breif Pause "someone on the phone says something"
Her: " BITCH ! I'm gonna ****ing kill you!!!!!"
She then threw her phone off of the porch.

I have been to quite a few good places for food in boston, the one drawback to the good places in boston is that they are a little on the pricy side. If you are looking for beer centric, the map and suggestions people have made are excelent. If you are not being a beer centric tourist, and perhaps want to try some fine wine or decent seafood there are other places I can suggest.

Oh and by the way, there is a rock bottom in downtown boston, but I didn't put it on the list, because well it isn't that good. And there are rock bottom's everywhere.

I myself live in the city, so I can confidently say as a beer lover you will most likely like the places listed. As a food lover they are all fairly good but not great. Oh and I marked out the strip clubs and where to pick up hookers as well.

Hey what dates are you going to be in town I might be able to recommend some interesting local events if you already know the dates.

Quote:

Last edited by Donasay; 05-12-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

LOL this has been a suprisingly interesting topic.
Being from Detroit, I'm not to worried about what Boston has to offer, but it is nice to know where these areas are. I'm also a chef, so I would totally be interested in some food-only recommendations as well. Especially some nice seafood, especially if it's the dirty, local, fresh as hell kind of seafood place

I will be in town from the 21st to the 28th, right through Memorial Weekend. I'm sure there will be cool things going on, and I would love to hear about them!

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Quick Reply