Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > Masstoberfest 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 219 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Masstoberfest 2013

Hi Kids,

OK, I got a go ahead from SWMBO for Saturday Septemeber 28 for this years version of Masstoberfest. If you've been before you know all about it; the agony, the ectasy, the joy, the tears, the naked midget jello wrestling. If you're amoung those poor dysenfranchised souls who haven't made it than this is your chance. Masstoberfest is a party for brewers, by brewers, and about brewers and brewing. While not actually required, you are highly encouraged to bring your rig and brew a batch that day. LIkewise, you are encouraged to bring samples of what you've already brewed to share with everyone. If the only guy you've shared your brews with is your brother in law and his idea of good beer is Natural Ice, sharing your beer with a bunch of people who actually know what good beer is supposed to taste like is a great way to get feedback.

Here's the deal...

Who is invited? You are. If you are reading this board than you are probably a Massachusetts home brewer, a friend of a homebrewer or a homebrewer wannabe.. Come on down. Bring the wife. Bring the girlfriend. Please don't bring both unless they like each other. Well behaved children are welcome, squalling brats get tossed on the bonfire. Squalling SWMBO's get tossed on the bonfire. We let in the rare outsider. Shecky, AZ IPA, Data, Kaiser, and NHWrecker all get day passes. the_bird is technically a Mass resident so we have to (reluctantly) let him come. Sorry, we voted on it last year and decided we need to let him come.

My house... PM me for address details. For obvious reasons I'm not putting my address up on the board.

Time... If you are brewing show up early, 10:00-ish. That should get you done, even assuming a 6 hour all mash day, by 4-ish. If you are just eating and drinking come later. If and when the beer runs out, the party is over. If and when the sun comes up the next day I'm kicking out the die hards and going to bed. If and when the cops come they generally pull up a chair and join us.

Food... I'll be BBQ'ing a hog and generally make a pot of baked beans and Atomic Buffalo Turds. I'll have a couple of kegs on hand. Everyone usually brings something to share. Bring whatever you like, I'm not assigning anyone anything. If you can't bring something, for what ever reason: broken stove, lack of finances, semi-communicable diseases... Don't let that keep you away. No one gets checked at the door.

Drinking... We're all adults here. You are responsible for your own intake. If you have too much to drink, be a responsible adult and hand over the keys. I've got plenty of room for tents. Nuff said.

Bonfire... In a Lord of the Flies like way, the skin, bones and head of the hawg generally get tossed on the fire as the natives dance wildly about. Either that or we sit around on lawn chairs and gaze slack jawed into the flames.

And finally... The Masstoberfest Cup. You've all heard about it, the single most covetted trophy in Massachusetts homebrewing circles, the Masstoberfest Cup. Jay Durand, aka the_bird won the inaugral year, Dave Morton, aka NH Wrecker won last year. Each years winner is responsible for safeguarding the Cup and making it a little bit better for the next years winner. The winner of the cup is chosen by a complex, archane and completely arbitrary method that no-one truely understands. Don't look with too much longing at the Cup, that could catch the judges eyes and you might end up winning.

OK, that's it. Hope to see you all then.

PTN

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Daddymem Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1276 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 806

Wonder if we can convince Yooper to join us...

Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
ComcastWineRookie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 77

looks like I am free that weekend

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Is this the one where you deep fry the pig or the one where you pass around the stove pipe trophy? I can never remember.

And I may attend, if my 40% barley brandy is done in time.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Melana
Up to no good....

Recipes 

BBQ and deep frying are two different things.... PTN is a pit master not a fry cook.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So as not to scare off the n00bs, lets hide our real personalities in this thread and only show our true colors in the DPOMHBST. If they come and survive the day then we'll know if they can play with the big dogs.

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Old 08-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Oh, hello Mr. PTN. Thank you kindly for the invite to your annual party. I'm not sure I'll be able to attend, but if I do, I can bring some balloons, and maybe some paper plates.

Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Melana
Up to no good....

Recipes 

I was going to say something along the lines of:
'scare off the boobs? from what, the dead hookers? That will clear some more space under the shed'
I thought better of it.

I'll bring something tasty to eat (cake perhaps) and perhaps some beer...

Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

We absolutely don't want to scare off the boobs. I'm a HUGE fan of boobs. I'm an even huger fan of huge boobs. But there are no bad boobs, just bad bras.

All boobs are welcome. (Except Rookie. He's the only kind of boob I don't like.). Anyone with nice boobs, as determined by me, gets free admission and the eternal gratitude of the rest of the attendees.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

do you have room in the yard for a tent? I'll check airfares, and see what I can come up with.

the_bird Likes This 

Quick Reply