New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > John Harvards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
oberon567
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Was the wheat wine on tap at John Harvard's one they brewed, or was it Harpoon's Leviathan Triticus? I couldnt find the Triticus anywhere besides the brewery itself, though they said it was on taps (and actually only taps, none was bottled). If they are getting tasty brews like the Harpoon Leviathan series on tap that is reason enough to head over there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
Calico Jack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon567 View Post
Was the wheat wine on tap at John Harvard's one they brewed, or was it Harpoon's Leviathan Triticus? I couldnt find the Triticus anywhere besides the brewery itself, though they said it was on taps (and actually only taps, none was bottled). If they are getting tasty brews like the Harpoon Leviathan series on tap that is reason enough to head over there.
This was John Harvard's recipe--beer was called California Stars.

I've seen Harpoon's on tap at Cambridge Common, Deep Ellum, and Bukowski's.

Don't try and church it up boy.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

John Harvards doesn't have guest taps, just their own stuff. I go to the one in Manchester CT all the time, and their new brewer (I believe the one from RI) is pretty damn good. They also put some of their selection on cask. I had a nice hoppy barleywine and a damn fine IPA on cask there.

Depending on the rotation the beers are pretty nice. They do have the standard Pale ale for the BMC drinkers all the time, but the rest of the selection follows the seasons appropriately. IPAs however, are always on

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 09-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Calico Jack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLynchLtd View Post
John Harvards doesn't have guest taps, just their own stuff. I go to the one in Manchester CT all the time, and their new brewer (I believe the one from RI) is pretty damn good. They also put some of their selection on cask. I had a nice hoppy barleywine and a damn fine IPA on cask there.

Depending on the rotation the beers are pretty nice. They do have the standard Pale ale for the BMC drinkers all the time, but the rest of the selection follows the seasons appropriately. IPAs however, are always on

mike
Uncle Frank.
I haven't been to the Manchester location since Chris left for Cambridgehouse. What I know of Frank is that he was a homebrewer with just a tad of commercial experience (i.e. he helped out here and there). It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
Uncle Frank.
I haven't been to the Manchester location since Chris left for Cambridgehouse. What I know of Frank is that he was a homebrewer with just a tad of commercial experience (i.e. he helped out here and there). It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Uncle Frank it is. I'll be intersted to see what he comes up with too.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #16
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsWickedBrew View Post
Ha! I live in Cambridge, and I was searching the net to find a diff place to go for dinner w/ the SWMBO tonight. I came across this place for the 1st time tonight...& now I see this. What are the chances! We didn't go...so I can't comment. I am a big fan of Cambridge Brewing Company though in Kendall Square.
Just wanted to thank you for mentioning this place. I went last night with my girlfriend (we brew together) and I have to say that the food and beer were EXCELLENT! We both particuarily enjoyed the Weekapaug Gruit. I think we are going to brew this next. I wrote down the ingredients they listed on the menu and need to search for a recipe. Thanks again!

Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #17
Calico Jack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glad you had a good time.

Keep your schedule open for The Great Pumpkin Festival on Oct. 31. 4 guest brewers will be bringing pumpkins beers--2 of which will be a pumpkin saison and a pumpkin hefe.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to know! Thanks I will keep it open, sounds like a great time!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I went to the John Harvard's in Framingham about a month ago. The food and our waiter were great, but the bartender was a dick when we were getting a couple beers before our buzzer thing went off. The beers were alright - kind of bland and not very exciting. Their IPA was weak and watery. Ironically on the way out there was an article framed on the wall near the door about the master brewer and how proud she is of her IPA and how great it is... blah blah blah. I'd go back for the food and a quick beer if I was in the area but wouldn't go out of my way or go there just for the beer.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
I went to the John Harvard's in Framingham about a month ago. The food and our waiter were great, but the bartender was a dick when we were getting a couple beers before our buzzer thing went off. The beers were alright - kind of bland and not very exciting. Their IPA was weak and watery. Ironically on the way out there was an article framed on the wall near the door about the master brewer and how proud she is of her IPA and how great it is... blah blah blah. I'd go back for the food and a quick beer if I was in the area but wouldn't go out of my way or go there just for the beer.
If you're out that way again skip Harvards and go to Owen O'leary's in Southboro. It's on the east bound side of route 9.There beer is excellent and the food and wait staff are awesome. If you happen to be out that way Monday thru Thursday pm me and I'll meet you for a beer.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Quick Reply