Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #3771
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

My BIL brought me a bottle when he came to visit (he lives in the Netherlands). Been saving it for a special occasion; debating whether the quirk of the calendar is special enough.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #3772
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Give us a report of the BIL's brews you have tasted. Liquor store close by is having a taste test of De Molens and others. What one was your favorite?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #3773
paulthenurse

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 321 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Snails are good. As is the Westy. But for $85/6 pack I want a hottie in a string bikini serving it to me. In fact I want to be drinking it from her belly button on a beach in Jamaica. Now THAT would be worth it. But at $85/6 that's about $1.25 a fluid ounce.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #3774
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I've been arguing with Walker-San about the Westy pricing. $85 for a sixer is what, fourteen bucks a bottle? With the glasses included, it's like $12 or $13 a bottle. I've spend more than that on a bottle of beer PLENTY of times, I just don't usually buy a full six pack of something that expense at a time. Bought a bottle of Rochefort 8 a little while ago for maybe $8 or $9, don't remember and didn't think twice about paying it.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #3775
paulthenurse

Recipes 

The entire idea of it irritates me. Up till now they were reclusive monks living in seclusion from the secular world. They were monks first and brewers a far distant second. Running out of beer to sell wasn't an issue, missing prayers because you were sparking an extra batch of beer to meet demand was.

This seems totally wrong to me. It was their adherence to their monastic lifestyle while brewing a great beer that made it special. I felt privileged to go to the Abby and have a few beers. It was very expensive to do so but I didn't mind paying that premium. They were monks who happened to make a great beer. The fact that tourists were making pilgrimages to their Abby didn't affect them, they were men who chose to live behind walls.

That seems to have all changed. Now it's about grubbing money. Anyone who abandons their values in the pursuit of money cheapens themselves and by extension all of us. I doubt I'll be buying any

Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #3776
TheDudeLebowski
Recipes 

I agree with bird. I think I've paid a lot for a BMC in expensive bars just because it was the only thing available. It's the money versus values argument. It's like a donation to me. They've been pretty restrictive on the price and even the date of release. They're using it for their renovations and I have no problem defining it as charity It's benefiting the material world which money does enter to a lot. It drives me crazy with beer snobs arguing that they've had better and proceed to list what they've been able to get on the black market. It's just beer. Enjoy it. or even better brew it.

EDIT: Actually the ones that irritate me are the ones that horde something like Kate the Great or Dark Lord and then sell it on the black market to make money or pay for their share. The hype for westy is created from outside their walls. These others just are the money grubbers.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #3777
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
That seems to have all changed. Now it's about grubbing money. Anyone who abandons their values in the pursuit of money cheapens themselves and by extension all of us. I doubt I'll be buying any
Who's to say that they're money-grubbing? Who's to say that they aren't taking their profits from these beer sales and using those monies to support their charitable endeavors? That's the whole point of selling beer (or jam, or cheesecakes, or anything), to get enough $$ to support the monastery and anything that's left over is supposed to be used for charity.

I've always thought that the monks were dumb to NOT take advantage of the supply/demand imbalance; sell more beer to guys like us, and use our money to do good works. It's charitable giving that we can all support because it gets us drunk.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #3778
TheDudeLebowski
Recipes 

To put it in perspective how many times have you been at a restaurant and your lady friend wants to order a bottle of wine that is 5x the price of what you could pick up across the street and bring in? That puts a certain twitch in me when I see the bill. I've yet to have a beer that has truly blown my mind compared to a good wine or scotch. It's more about enjoying the experience. Travelling to the abbey would be a good experience tho.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #3779
paulthenurse

Recipes 

So suddenly they're struck by the philanthropy stick? Why didn't they brew more to give to charity five years ago?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #3780
TheDudeLebowski
Recipes 

They brew to live the life of solitude and prayer. Their life of solitude does include acts of charity outside of the Abbey but they tend to stay away from money. Unfortunately they need money to rebuild their abbey. I wonder if you could convince them you'd work for beer and avoid this whole money problem. Show them your mega tun portfolio.

Quick Reply