Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum > The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #3111
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1474 Times on 891 Posts
Likes Given: 932

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Sweet! Just talked to Melana, she and Big John should be in. Shot a message over to Billie Clark, maybe he'll take the drive over with me again. And, I don't have to miss David Grisman at MoCA.
Yes, count me in. I'll make sure to cook something tasty for the experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #3112
TheDudeLebowski
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmmmm. 10+' hurricane produced swells and a triathlon. Can you leave your Dirty Water Porter in your will to me?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #3113
barneygumble
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
This is a wicked long thread you's guys. Reading through this, I can't help but channel some Adam Sandler from the Psychotic Legend of Uncle Donnie. "Yeah, I had a few chardonays. What of it?"

Ok, ok, he's from New Hampster...fine. But I am
definitely and unabashedly a Masshole, albeit a
displaced Masshole. Phonetic spellings of towns I've lived in as proof: Chemsfid, Berrica, Raveeah, Sale-um Aya, Pepprull, Ashbinham, Gahdnuh, Loll, Graw-in.

Where and when in Ashburnham? I lived on Sunset lake for years. Miss it there.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #3114
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
Where and when in Ashburnham? I lived on Sunset lake for years. Miss it there.
North Ashburnham off of 119 at Mt. Watatic.
The plan is to move back in the spring.

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #3115
TheDudeLebowski
Recipes 

Looking for some advice: I know you guys travel in beer/alcohol centric locations and bring bottles back. I'm heading to San Diego for a couple of days and have a little time for shopping at various locations. I use to just send cases to friends in NH to avoid the old MA laws from the vineyards. However, I'm only going out to SD for a quick turnaround and my suitcase will almost be empty on the way out. Do you guys bring bottles back in checked luggage? and how?...most of it will be individual beers and not wine. I hear airports sell air packaged bags for fragile bottles in checked bags. Is this what you guys use?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #3116
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeLebowski View Post
Looking for some advice: I know you guys travel in beer/alcohol centric locations and bring bottles back. I'm heading to San Diego for a couple of days and have a little time for shopping at various locations. I use to just send cases to friends in NH to avoid the old MA laws from the vineyards. However, I'm only going out to SD for a quick turnaround and my suitcase will almost be empty on the way out. Do you guys bring bottles back in checked luggage? and how?...most of it will be individual beers and not wine. I hear airports sell air packaged bags for fragile bottles in checked bags. Is this what you guys use?
I am in the Airport Baggage Handling business. When peole ask me if it's really as bad as people say (in terms of rough handling) my answer is that it can be, so it's best to take every precaution.
Many airports still operate with legacy sortation equipment that basically operate like a giant boxing glove. You know, like in the old cartoons...the giant fist on a spring. The baggage handlers can be even worse.

To do it right, plan on the protective packaging taking up a lot more space than the bottles. When you get out here, look up a liquor store chain called Bevmo. They sell wine bottle mailing cartons with foam core inserts. Those work very well for 750's. Theres no way a bottle will get broken in one of those short of the rare carbonation explosions. People ship wine all the time this way, and it works great...just remember that wine doesn't have the carbonation issues. I'd want to wrap the whole thing in plastic just in case.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #3117
TheDudeLebowski
Recipes 

Thanks. I'm suprised they allow any large amount of liquid in checked these days. I've never had any luck with baggage handling before. I'm definately wrapping it in a couple of plastic bags. I'm still p*ssed that somehow my Caddy Shack dvd was stolen en transit on last years golf trip. I was weary of trying to bring back beer.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #3118
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I brought back something insane like 17 750s a year or so ago from the NHC in San Diego. I went to CVS and bought some bubble wrap, wrapped the eff out of each bottle, stuffed my suitcase and a simple duffle bag, and checked em. Not one broken bottle. I flew first class (got the seat on points) but I seriously doubt that helped the bags in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #3119
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6266 Times on 5439 Posts
Likes Given: 809

I flew a case of homebrew to DC a couple months ago in checked baggage. I put each bottle in a hiking sock or wrapped in a t-shirt. No broken bottles. I've done this a few times without any breakage.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #3120
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
I brought back something insane like 17 750s a year or so ago from the NHC in San Diego. I went to CVS and bought some bubble wrap, wrapped the eff out of each bottle, stuffed my suitcase and a simple duffle bag, and checked em. Not one broken bottle. I flew first class (got the seat on points) but I seriously doubt that helped the bags in any way.
If those baggage handlers only knew that bag belonged to someone in first class it would have been luggage soup. NEVER put any kind of Fragile signage on checked items. If it's fragile, don't put it in there, or take sufficient packaging precations so that it is no longer fragile.

I'll tell you the problem with bubble wrap. If your bag is flagged for hand inspection, TSA is going to unwrap all of your packages and not take the same care you did to put it back together. Then they are all going to have a good laugh.
At least with the wine cases, it's a simple matter of putting the bottle back into the bottle shaped foam insert.

Quick Reply