New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Vermont HomeBrew Forum > New England Brew Session & yankee enginuity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New England Brew Session & yankee enginuity

On Sunday December 3rd I'm planning on hosting the 1st New England Brew session for those in the HB Talk Community.

Since daylight will be at somewhat of a premium we should probably get started no later then 11:00am. Feel free to arrive earlier if you need additional time. I'd be happy to supply some stuff to grill for lunch, potluck for side dishes.

Bring your own equipment to brew yourself. There will be plenty of room in the backyard to accomidate us all.

I expect to have my Bohemian Pilzner, Warrior Pale Ale, and French Country ale on tap.

I have a mill (corona) that spits out crap for efficiency (55%), which you are welcome to use. I have enough gear minus an extra propane burner. I do have an extra kettle, and makeshift mashtun, and lauter tun. I have access to FRESH 1056 American Ale yeast if you need yeast, just give me a heads up, so that I can make arrangements for it to be here. I can also supply small amounts of malted wheat, chocolate malt, roasted barley, and crystal malt.

If anyone is interestd I can also make arrangements for a private tour of Mcneills Brewery.

Cheers!

Glibbidy

Last edited by Glibbidy; 05-14-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Awesome, count me in. I should have my keggle all set by them, and I'll figure out something on the burner front (either buy one or borrow a friend's turkey fryer).

I know some of the Vermont folks are a little out of range of a home brew store; if anyone wants me to pick up supplies, I will be hitting Hennesey Home Brew (hopefulyl catching up with 2nd Street) this weekend. Shoot me a PM.

I will be bringing along some homebrews for honest critique. Papa Charlie's Good Life Pale Ale will be fully conditioned, I'll also have some Altbier/Oktoberfest-ey ale that may need another week of conditioning that I would like to get in some other peoples' hands. I suspect my IPA will be long gone by then.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's a bit of a drive to VT, but I do have that day off work. Maybe I could drive up to the_bird's house, and go together from there? I'll chip in on gas and beer, of course!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Absolutely. Maybe stop in to Castleton, NY and pick up 2nd Street? We'd have to figure out how much gear we were bringing, I have a Honda Element that's got a good amount of space, but not as much as a pickup.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

At this point, I should definitely be able to go. Got to work out a few detail but I think it should be fine. I don't have access to a burner setup, so I might not pack equipment or supplies for wort'ing - maybe just lend a hand to other's operations.

Let's see though, I might have an Oktoberfest RTG but it is definitely going to be a bit early to sample a few others as they have just recently hit the bottles. I'll dig something up - once I'm 100% I'll check in.

...might be able to talk myself into scratching together a burner setup to match the Bird on his smoked porter.....very tempting.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

How about Kaiser? Can we get a real expert to come out and teach me how to mash properly? Make a lot of sense if people from the Boston area are coming out to carpool.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
gremlin
Recipes 

the date should be ok for me.
but since i have no burners or whatnot, i may just come and watch and learn! oh and try some good homebrew. i think i may have a few left that i can bring, too.

barrett

Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin
the date should be ok for me.
but since i have no burners or whatnot, i may just come and watch and learn! oh and try some good homebrew. i think i may have a few left that i can bring, too.

barrett
If I have my own burner setup by then, I should be able to borrow a fryer that you can use.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't have a burner either. I can bring a propane tank, however. Sounds like we might need to take turns on the flame.

I can bring my 5 gal MLT, ingredients, beer, propane, immersion chiller (setup for faucet, not hose) a 3 gal pot, fermenting and cleaning stuff, more beer.

If 2nd could meet me in New Lebanon, that would cut about 1.5 hours off the drive. If we are starting at 11:00, when will we need to leave your house, bird?

Hmmm...real names would be easier. Mine's Matt.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Probably 9:30, maybe a little earlier. It's about an hour back to Greenfield to hit 91, then maybe a half hour north to Brattleboro.

I have a 5 gallon MLT, a butt-ugly (but effective chiller), I should have a stainless steel chiller (someone here is giving me one), I'll have my keggle, probably a burner or two. I have an electric fryer if someone wants to use it to heat sparge water, I have a 5 gallon stockpot that can be used for the same purpose. If it's the three of us (I shot 2nd St. a PM and I should see him this weekend), we could probably squeeze everything into my car with one of the rear seats removed. I know he's working on putting together his keggle.

OH - we'll also need room to bring fermenters back. Bah, we'll figure it out - I am the KING of TETRIS FAMILY VACATION (i.e. loading the car).

Quick Reply