Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Vermont HomeBrew Forum > Burlington, VT brewpubs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 01:28 AM   #11
theKman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Vermont is a beer lovers paradise. Check this link out:

http://www.vermontbrewers.com/passportprogram.html

Click the download link on the page to see both sides of the actual "Passport." I've got 16 out of the 18 stamps. I've actually been to all 18, but two were closed when I got there. I'll be turning my card in at the Vermont Brewers Festival this weekend. Thanks to The Alchemist for turning me on to this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #12
Ben25
Recipes 

And I'm moving there at the end of this year. HELL YEAH!

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
mtarrant
Recipes 

Default Switchback Clone?

I'm getting back into homebrewing after a 15 year absence. I just built a kegerator, so will never bottle again (probably why I left the art to begin with).

I love Vermont particularly Stowe (Mr. Pickwicks is a fav),and am a huge fan of Switchback and the Alchemist. Can anyone (Dutchyman?) share some knowledge of the Switchback ale?

Much Thanks!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 AM   #14
Zacharias
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Theres also The Shed in Stowe, and the Rock Art brewery in Morrisville, not really a brewpub itself but worth mentioning!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

I'll be in Burlington two nights for a conference this week and wanted to get a few opinions of some "can't miss" beers while I'm there. I'd prefer to try something I can't get in the mid-west. I'm up for anything style-wise and would prefer something funky (but well made) than the perfect pale ale. This thread is very informative and I'll definitely be checking out VT Pub & Brewery and American Flatbread. Any opinions on the Farmhouse Tap & Grill?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
seanybubbles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live about 1.5hrs away and any time I'm in Burlington I like to check out all three. Farmhouse is new (6months) but worth the visit. They have a good selection of odd bottled beers.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
neilph
Recipes 

The Three Needs is also worth a shout out. They are creative! Also, not too far away the Three Penny Tap Room in our states capital is very much worth the drive. I think its a half hour to fourty five minutes. On the way, stop at The Alchemist (open after 4) in Waterbury. They have an award winning unique style that I can't describe!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The Alchemist is a great place but last time I was there, the beer... frankly... just wasn't good. Last year when I went up through Vermont on a beer tour, the Heretic (their barleywine) was phenominal... this year, I was really dissappointed in the beer. It just wasn't good. I also had their gluten-free saison (the owner/brewers wife is allergic to gluten so they always have one gluten-free on tap) and that wasn't good at all. Maybe it was the "gluten-free" that was throwing me off but other than it being kinda light in SRM, there wasn't anything "saisony" about it.

Don't get me wrong... next time we go up, we'll absolutely stop at the Alchemist but I was really surprised at the beers when we went up three weeks ago.

If you are going to the Alchemist... GO TO the Blackback Pub and Fly Shop right across the street. It is a brand new, little tiny hole in the wall place. 9 taps of great beers, really cool owner/bartender and great little place. The whole place has about 8 stools and that's... about all you can fit in there.

Right in Burlington... there is a new place... Das Beirhaus... that isn't bad. It is obviously a German "beirhaus" and they have 8 taps of all German beers... Ayinger, VINE-sta-fan... etc. Decent place.

Farmhouse was great. Great food and really solid beer list.

Flatbread is always a safe bet.

Vt Pub and Brewery isn't my favorite place but you gotta go there.

Three Needs is ok. If memory serves me correctly they had about ten taps... a lot of Vt beers on tap (not a bad thing) and then they usually have anywhere between 1 and 4 of their own beers. I had the "Wild Blonde" three weeks ago and it was pretty good.

Bobcat is a GREAT stop if you feel like shooting down to Bristol.

Folks will probably make fun of me but I actually liked stopping at Magic Hat last year when we went up. They had something like 12 different taps running in the sample room. The beers I tried were pretty solid and there were a decent number that I had never seen in stores.

If you're traveling up the west side of Vermont along Rt 7, I would also stop at Long Trail. They have some solid beers. I had their imperial porter last year and thought it was pretty tasty. The bgi reason to stop at Long Trail though... the "yaki wings". GET THEM. Tremendous wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
mlkco
Recipes 

There is good brew to be had (although no pub) at Rock Art Brewery
www.rockartbrewery.com

Edit: sorry I didn't read page 2 of this thread and Rock Art was already mentioned

Last edited by mlkco; 11-17-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

I checked out Vermont Pub & Brewery and Farmhouse Tap and Grill and wanted to give my 2 cents. VT Pub & Brewery was OK. Not remarkable, but not bad. Farmhouse was very busy, but very good. Great selection and friendly/knowledgeable staff. I read about Hill Farmstead Brewery while in VT and tried some of their beer at Farmhouse and I would definitely recommend it. Well made and interesting beers.

Quick Reply