Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Who is brewing on Long Island?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #31
KirbyPanK1500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Cool... another homebrewer in Seaford. PWM74, where are you? I am between Merrick Rd & Sunrise Hwy and Washington & Jackson Avenues.

I was displaced by Sandy so I am living back with my folks and that has put my brewing on hold even though my father has a nice wine cellar that I could use. All of my equipment is in storage until I get the hell out of here. Fortunately, I am moving to Farmingdale on March 1.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #32
KirbyPanK1500
Recipes 

I have gone to a few of the meetings for the Long Island Beer and Malt Enthusiasts club but haven't been to one in several months. Pretty cool group.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When and where do they meet? I was going to check out B.E.E.R. but have a standing conflict on Mondays.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #34
KirbyPanK1500
Recipes 

Their meetings are the first Wednesday of the month and they move around as far as where they meet, I've been to meetings in Patchogue and Massapequa.

Their website: beermalt.org doesn't seem to be up right now but that's where I usually find out where the next meeting is.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #35
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I guess I'll add in my two cents. Been brewing again for about two and a half years. Started out with Mr. Beer and am doing partial mash kits from AHS. I've only done ales but a lot of them. Stouts, choc stouts, porters, IPAs, APAs, brown ales, etc., about 260 gals so far. Slowed down due to Sandy/snow storm. I live in Miller Place. I'm a member of BEER, but because I work a rotating shift and have a side business, I usually don't have the time to attend meetings. Going to be heading to the spring beer fest at Nassau Col next month when my co-worker gets back from deployment. Went last year and had a great time. Also went to Martha Clara also very good. I can tell you more about the beers I had at the beginning than those at the end. We rented a van (and driver) to get us there and back.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #36
pwm74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i live down in the harbor, Roanoke street.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #37
eric19312
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c
Well, I guess I'll add in my two cents. Been brewing again for about two and a half years. Started out with Mr. Beer and am doing partial mash kits from AHS. I've only done ales but a lot of them. Stouts, choc stouts, porters, IPAs, APAs, brown ales, etc., about 260 gals so far. Slowed down due to Sandy/snow storm. I live in Miller Place. I'm a member of BEER, but because I work a rotating shift and have a side business, I usually don't have the time to attend meetings. Going to be heading to the spring beer fest at Nassau Col next month when my co-worker gets back from deployment. Went last year and had a great time. Also went to Martha Clara also very good. I can tell you more about the beers I had at the beginning than those at the end. We rented a van (and driver) to get us there and back.
Hey almost neighbors!

Brewtopia (port Jefferson) starting up an informal, lets get together and taste some home brews, on first Tuesdays of the month. I missed the first one but am planning to make it next month. Also have a judged brewing contest in the works. Pretty low key but looks to be fun.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #38
toast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post
What yeast strain and temperature?
I used a dry Belgian Saison yeast (Lallemand Belle Saison). I've never used it before so I'm anxious to see how it comes out. I'm fermenting at 68-70. I was going to put the heating belt around the fermenter, but decided not to.
Secondary1: Big Bourbon Brown Ale
Secondary2: Belgian Saison

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #39
eric19312
Recipes 

Will you let temp increase as it ferments or control temp? Sounds like you are planning to control.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #40
toast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post
Will you let temp increase as it ferments or control temp? Sounds like you are planning to control.
No, I'm just gonna let it ride along with at the ambient temperature in my house, If it's something that comes out good and worth doing again, I'll ferment with the heater belt on and see if it gets funked a bit.
Secondary1: Big Bourbon Brown Ale
Secondary2: Belgian Saison

Quick Reply