The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Syracuse Brew-pub Scene?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Syracuse Brew-pub Scene?

So, the SWMBO, myself, and some friends of ours (another couple) have a trip to Syracuse planned for the weekend of November 9th - 11th. Get out, see some new scenery, and hang out with these friends of ours we only get to see once every month or two... The plus is that they are also a brew-friendly crew and love to visit the brewpubs, etc. and try new stuff...

I've already done some research and have a few brew-pubs and beer bars mapped out for us to check out, but thought I'd check in here to see if I missed any on my google searches or anyone could critique some of these places - of course all you get by going to their website is the goodstuff... So, here's the list of places I've found and plan to get to most all of them over the three day trip:

http://www.sudsfactory.com/ - Syracuse Suds Factory

http://www.middleagesbrewing.com/ - Middle Ages Brewing Company - from what I understand this isn't a brewpub (no food) so much as a brewery with a tasting room and souvenir shop? Still hitting it up...

http://www.1812ale.com/ - Sackets Harbor Brewing – This one is a 45 minute - 1 hour drive from Syracuse I believe, but looks pretty cool…

Don't think these are micros, but both of these mention 50+ taps, so I can only imagine the micro selection from the northeast:

http://www.bluetusk.com/ - Blue Tusk Pub

http://www.kittyhoynes.com/xml/?htm=...mp;fl=navAbout – Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub

Help me fill in our agenda with some other suggestions!

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The blue tusk is the hot set-up. Not a brewery, but a really nice selection of beer on tap.

I heard that the Empire brewing Co. recently re-opened. They had a decent selection of stuff on tap, as well as guest beers. IIRC they are a few doors down from the Blue Tusk on Walton St.

If you like BBQ check out Dinosaur BBQ, not the greatest selection of taps, but.....darn good bbq.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ditto on Glibiddy about Blue Tusk and Dinosaur. Go to Dinosaur for the barbeque, it's very good, then work your way over to Blue Tusk, it's an easy walk.

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
FatMonsters
Recipes 

SilkkyBrew
I'm from Syracuse. Here is some information for ya

Syracuse Suds Factory: Skip it. I don't know anyone who enjoys their brew. The other stuff on tap or bottle selection is pretty standard.

Middle Ages Brewing Company: Check this one out. They do have a tasting room and souvenir shop. They usually have 7 on tap to choose from and they let you buy others that they will go tap from out back.

Sackets Harbor Brewing: This one is like 1 hour drive from Syracuse. They make 1812 which is really good and can be found on tap anywhere in Syracuse.

Blue Tusk: Very cool place to check out multiple taps.

Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub: Cool place, but nothing on tap that is special.

Clark's Ale House: Neat place with about 12 - 15 taps, but they rotate and they get quite a different mix. No loud music, its more of a english style pub. Good conversation and good brew. And they make good roast beef sandwiches

Empire Brewing Company: I like this place. The beer is starting to improve. When they first re-opened their beer was a disappointment, but last time I had their belgian dubbel and it was good. Good food too.

Improper: Another place with multiple taps. I like this one more than the tusk, but they are both really good. Improper has some good food too. If you go, don't just look at the beer menu, they have more on tap that are sometimes not listed on it. Its only updated every so often.

Saranac: Is like a 40 min drive. You can do a brewery tour and then they give a couple free tastings.

Wagner Valley: This is a 40 - 60 min drive and it is in the heart of the upstate NY wineries (three lake region full of wineries). Their beer is okay.

Dinosaur is a great place to eat and they have a pretty good list of brews. There are some good places in Rochester (1 - 1.5 hr drive). Beers of the World is a candy store for adults with an extreme amt of beer choices. Rohrbach is a brewpub with good beer and Custom Brewcrafters, just okay, is a microbrewery with sampling.

Hope this helps. Sorry it was so long. Let me know if you enjoy the area!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
todd_k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulcahey's Brewing
SilkkyBrew

Saranac: Is like a 40 min drive. You can do a brewery tour and then they give a couple free tastings.

Technically, Saranac isn't a brewery. It is made at the FX Matt Brewery in Utica, NY . They give a good tour and you get 2 free samples when it's done. cost is $2.

I second (or third or fourth) the BBQ at Dinosaur.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Where is Empire Brewing located? I heard this reopened, but I couldn't find an up to date webpage last time I searched. Guess I'll try again!

Thanks for the great info guys!!

EDIT: Found the website - looks like they just put this up in the past 2-3 weeks. Empirebrew.com

Last edited by RoaringBrewer; 11-01-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Where is Empire Brewing located?
see notes below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
IIRC they are a few doors down from the Blue Tusk on Walton St.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
Technically, Saranac isn't a brewery. It is made at the FX Matt Brewery in Utica, NY .
Yes, technically it is the FX Matt's Brewery. Everyone here refers to it as Saranac. I wonder...how many people would know that FX Matt Brewery is where Saranac is produced? Pretty good question to the non-beerophile...

Kinda like, technically Sam Adams is made by the Boston Beer Company, right? I know I know...pointless argument...

Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
FatMonsters
Recipes 

The Empire is directly across the street from the Blue Tusk on Walton. Or next door to PJ Dorsey's or a couple doors down from the Syracuse Suds Factory - all on Walton. The Empire was re-opened by the owners of Sackets Harbor Brewing Company. The brewer at Empire went to work for Sackets after Empire closed. Now he is back at Empire.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks again for the info fellas... I realized that Empire is very close to the Tusk after I found their website...

I'll let you know how the trip pans out! Mulcahey, if you are interested in meeting up for a beer - let us know!

Quick Reply