Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Syracuse Area Brewers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
Andrew862
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agemmell
The worst part forms is the bottle conditioning! Also I am interested to hear how your 60 minute clone goes. I am in the process of building myself a conical fermenter to try my hand at an IIPA.
Just racked my dogfish head clone to the secondary. Looked good, tasted like an ESB. I added the dry hops into the secondary and this should bring the flavor/aroma inline with how actual 60min tastes. I'll post back when it is ready. If it is even close it will be a big win for me as I love 60min.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
Sollozzo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm in Cicero-North Syracuse. Currently a full time student at Syracuse University (CPA Accounting). Just got into home brewing recently with a friend of mine. Brewed our first batch of American Cream Ale. Should be ready in a little over a month. Would definitely be interested in meeting up and swapping ideas with other brewers. Feel like I could learn a lot more by going to conventions or gatherings, as opposed to just using the internet.

If anyone knows of events coming up, PM me or shoot me an email.

mjlembo@syr.edu

Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Bmaker62
Recipes 

Good morning everyone. New to the home brew myself as my wife figured I needed a hobby. About a hour north of Syracuse myself and Bottled an American cream ale yesterday myself and brewed a batch of begian dubbel last night. Started with a starter kit myself and brewed the porter, a German Blond, and a Irish Stour so far to.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
dummybrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, after my red ale hit the secondary it was done fermenting through the eyes of the airlock. I tested with my hydrometer, perfect fg. I've let it sit a week(they recommend 2wks) and the fg is still perfect. Is there a reason to let it sit another week prior to bottling? I can say I'm not terribly satisfied with the color of this beer, as it is not a deep red. I followed everything to a T. Not sure if this is something that will change during the next week or during bottle conditioning, any thoughts?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
BargainMugs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Big news for Syracuse. I spoke to a distributor manager for CNY Byrne Dairy and he said they will be getting 4 cases of KBS for Syracuse.

He said to expect KBS to hit the shelves early April.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Sollozzo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainMugs View Post
Big news for Syracuse. I spoke to a distributor manager for CNY Byrne Dairy and he said they will be getting 4 cases of KBS for Syracuse.

He said to expect KBS to hit the shelves early April.
That's good news. Any idea where I might find Allagash White in Syracuse?

I was in the Party Source store yesterday on Erie Blvd. and spoke with the owner. It's the only craft beer store in Syracuse that I know of, and he said it was impossible for him to get Allagash.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
BargainMugs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never seen Allagash in New York. I'm pretty sure they don't distribute to this state. Which is pretty weird. My sister can get it in North Carolina, but we can't get it from a Maine Brewery.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
lgaston99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummybrewman View Post
Well, after my red ale hit the secondary it was done fermenting through the eyes of the airlock. I tested with my hydrometer, perfect fg. I've let it sit a week(they recommend 2wks) and the fg is still perfect. Is there a reason to let it sit another week prior to bottling? I can say I'm not terribly satisfied with the color of this beer, as it is not a deep red. I followed everything to a T. Not sure if this is something that will change during the next week or during bottle conditioning, any thoughts?
What is the recipe that you followed?

-------------------------------------
Primary:
Secondary: Hard Cider, Sequestering Red
Bottled: Porter, Maple Pumpkin Ale, Mocha Porter, WH Honey Ale
Gallons Brewed: 30

Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
dummybrewman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Using 2.5g water begin heating to 150-165 degrees, Steep grains(8oz caramel 120L, 1oz chocolate) for 20 mins. Remove bag, but allow to drip(not squeeze) before discarding.
Bring wort to a gentle rolling boil, add 6.6lbs light LME to boiling, let it get back to gentle rolling boil and continue boil through the addition of the hops. Sprinkle in hops starting with 1oz of UK Goldings. Boil for 55 minutes, then add 1oz of UK Fuggle hops. boil for 5 mins, terminate boil. Cool wort and transfer into fermenter. Add the rest of the 2.5g of water. Check OG, pitch yeast between 64 and 72 degrees.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #20
Sollozzo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainMugs View Post
I've never seen Allagash in New York. I'm pretty sure they don't distribute to this state. Which is pretty weird. My sister can get it in North Carolina, but we can't get it from a Maine Brewery.
It's definitely served in NYC, so it's not the whole state. But hopefully it'll show up in time. Good beer.

Quick Reply