Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Staten Island Homebrewers Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default Staten Island Homebrewers Thread

Discussion thread for Staten Island Homebrewers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

My name is Sonny, been brewing for almost 7 years now. Unfortunately the only active SI club folded a little while back but there's plenty of people brewing on the Island who like to BS and get together every so often. Hopefully we can get something going again soon.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I hope this isn't the extent of the staten island brew club

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Well we can judge by how popular this gets whether a club is worth it. After the last attempt, I have a lot of reservations. Mark gave that one his all, got a TON of good press, and it still never panned out.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
DrPhilGood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey my name is Phil and I am a Staten Island home brewer. I brew with HBT member, SeanGC and are are in the process of organizing a local club. I think he's been talking to mikey and a few other guys. My e-mail is philgodna@gmail.com if you guys want to b.s.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Nice to "meet" you. I'm interested to see what Sean's plans are. It would be great if we could get something going on SI, but I really think there's some obstacles to overcome. Mark Zap told me Sean contacted him recently about getting something started.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
SeanGC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Airborne guy. Yea, phil and I have been working out some of the logistics, such as when and where to meet up. I would, personally, like to have a preliminary open discussion with a few of Staten Island's seasoned (for lack of a better word) home brewers first, just to prepare the group to accomodate all of their needs.

We have about 6-7 people interested in meeting up initially, including the founder of St. George Barley and Taps Craft beer club. You are more than welcomed to attend. I will post the details of this prelim meeting once they've been worked out. Hopefully for the end of this month. After we've worked out the club details, we'll open it up to anyone who is interested.

A website and forum have been set up and installed, waiting to be populated with information.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Have you thought about asking Ken at Killmeyer's? I always figured he would be amenable to letting us meet there.

I think where went sent wrong with the NBHS was trying to have a brew meeting every month. Its hard for a lot of people to block off an entire day for that.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
SeanGC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, ideally, spreading the love around and holding meetings at different venues would be great. Killmeyer's, Adobe Blues, The Cup, Baystreet Salon, Tottenville Tavern etc. However, constantly changing the meeting location could create confusion, which is why this initial meetup would help determine the best way of going about this. Maybe we could start at Killmeyers, if it's best for everyone.

And I agree, mandatory monthly meetings can be difficult for everyone to attend. That is why I would love to create a strong online component to the group that would keep everyone connected, regardless if they attend meetings in person.

We're also working on member incentives. We already established a commitment from Bitter & Esters in Brooklyn, who agreed to give our members an in-store discount.

When are you available this month to discuss?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
thedude00
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is what i been thinking about just ideas would like to get feed back on everything
Objective

Some objective i would like to focus on is

Brewing techniques, promotion of the home brewing hobby, education about beer, expanding brewing horizons, teaching newcomers the act of home brewing. Would like the club to be open to everyone from people never brewed a beer to award winning brews. I talked to the people at the hilton on the island about having meetings there. There is a couple options from 1- 20 people we can use a private room in my restaurant for free if we order food. Could get a small event space for a couple bucks and we do not need to order food. This is just one options as of right now still going to look for other spaces. We can do club brews meetings in member's yards i know we can use my as offen as the club would like. Question is dues, To start a lot of people may ask why dues what is it for "Expenses for the club may be rental of meeting space, cost of commercial beer and food, supplies club brewing sessions" Dues can be done monthly or yearly. Maybe with yearly dues you get a club t-shirt again all just ideas as of right now.

For meet we could do...
Organize homebrew competitions
Demonstrate techniques of brewing for new comers
Home brew class " always something to learn when homebrewing doesn't mater how long you been doing it"
Taste homebrews
Exchange recipes
Compare brews
Just a couple of points that i think i meeting should have. Not going to list all right now

I would start a website/blog for the club even could start a small forum where member's could chat, where information about the club and events that are going on could be posted. we need a way to keep the club on members minds like monthly or weekly newsletters about the club, meeting, events. People lose interest in things that are not on there mind. Their is a lot of stuff that can be done as a club.

This stuff is just some ideas i been messing with. I know this post is a big mess of stuff . But what i want to do is put together a club for people that love home brewing like i do place where people can learn new things, where we can grow as homebrewers. Where we can try to grow the hobby on SI. I am willing to put in the work and the time to put together a great club. What do you think about all this. What are your ideas on a club

Quick Reply