Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Recommend a good gastropub in NYC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Dunkelweizenpants
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Recommend a good gastropub in NYC?

(Mods - sorry if this is the wrong board, please move if it belongs elsewhere)

Hi guys,

I'm off to visit a buddy in Manhattan next month and I'm looking for a good gastropub with a solid craft beer selection - especially local stuff I can't get here in Chicago. Any suggestions?

We'll be with our ladies so the food definitely needs to be a step or two above regular barfare.

Danke und Prost!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I haven't been there myself, but the Spotted Pig is reputed to be awesome.

Two other suggestions, neither really a brewpub per se, but they'll have good beers and great food nonetheless:

Fatty Crab - Southeast Asian place, get the Porkbelly with watermelon dish - it's awesome. Great place to order a lot of small plates and try stuff you might not normally have. The name is a bit deceiving, if anything they focus on pork.

Flex Mussels - I don't think they don't carry NY beers, but they have a solid selection of foreign and domestic brews overall and I think Moules Frites and beer is such a classic pairing and the mussels and Oysters here are ridiculous.

For local beer look for:
Anything by Sixpoint Craft Ales (they're located in Brooklny, but available in a lot of good NY beer bars), my favorites are the Brownstone, Righteous Rye, and Sweet Action (it's a blonde) and Bengali Tiger IPA
Anything by Captain Lawrence (they're located in Westchester)
Not sure how much Brooklyn Brewery beer makes it's way out to Chicago, but they're pretty solid as well - especially Local 1 (a triple) and Local 2 (a dubbel)
Bluepoint (out of Long Island) make some decent stuff although their Toasted Lager which is their biggest seller seems fairly ordinary to me
Kelso (also out of Brooklyn) is solid, but much harder to find

Last edited by chrispykid; 03-12-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Dunkelweizenpants
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispykid View Post
I haven't been there myself the Spotted Pig is reputed to be awesome.

Two other suggestions, neither really a brewpub per se, but they'll have good beers and great food nonetheless:

Fatty Crab - Southeast Asian place, get the Porkbelly with watermelon dish - it's awesome. Great place to order a lot of small plates and try stuff you might not normally have. The name is a bit deceiving, if anything they focus on pork.

Flex Mussels - I don't think they don't carry NY beers, but they have a solid selection of foreign and domestic brews overall and I think Moules Frites and beer is such a classic pairing and the mussels and Oysters here are ridiculous.

For local beer look for:
Anything by Sixpoint Craft Ales (they're located in Brooklny, but available in a lot of good NY beer bars), my favorites are the Brownstone, Righteous Rye, and Sweet Action (it's a blonde) and Bengali Tiger IPA
Anything by Captain Lawrence (they're located in Westchester)
Not sure how much Brooklyn Brewery beer makes it's way out to Chicago, but they're pretty solid as well - especially Local 1 (a triple) and Local 2 (a dubbel)
Bluepoint (out of Long Island) make some decent stuff although their Toasted Lager which is their biggest seller seems fairly ordinary to me
Kelso (also out of Brooklyn) is solid, but much harder to find
Awesome, thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for!

FWIW yes we do get some Brooklyn Brewery stuff in Chicago, and what I've had has been fantastic (most noteworthy a chocolate stout I found last week).

Prost!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

For a straight up bar with 76 taps, hit Gingerman on 36 and Madison.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/Locations.php

This is a brewery that has a few restaurant locations in Manhattan.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Personally, I find Heartland to be the Applebees of brewpubs. Very corporate. One man's opinion though.

If you don't mind treking down to Greenwich Village, The Half Pint around Thompson and W 3rd is a great place for gourmet paninis and such. Good beer selection, reasonably priced, still a little off the radar (or it was a year ago) so it won't be completely packed. I had a grilled spinach wrap with pastrami, mushrooms, roasted red pepper aioli and goat cheese from the make your own sandwich menu.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 03-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRLynch View Post
Personally, I find Heartland to be the Applebees of brewpubs. Very corporate. One man's opinion though.

If you don't mind treking down to Greenwich Village, The Half Pint around Thompson and W 3rd is a great place for gourmet paninis and such. Good beer selection, reasonably priced, still a little off the radar (or it was a year ago) so it won't be completely packed. I had a grilled spinach wrap with pastrami, mushrooms, roasted red pepper aioli and goat cheese from the make your own sandwich menu.
True but he wanted food better than bar food

Secondary:

Old 03-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Two men's opinions actually. The beer is ok there, Kelso does a lot of contract brewing for them since not all of their locations have a brewhouse. I do like their Oatmeal Stout. The food is pretty terrible, especially by New York standards.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispykid View Post
Two men's opinions actually. The beer is ok there, Kelso does a lot of contract brewing for them since not all of their locations have a brewhouse. I do like their Oatmeal Stout. The food is pretty terrible, especially by New York standards.
Agreed, i can get better food off a cart on the street. Actually, if you do end up going to Heartland, go to the one on Broadway, drink, then stumble over to the gyro cart on 53rd and 7th. Phenomenal. Particularly at 2 am

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRLynch View Post
Agreed, i can get better food off a cart on the street. Actually, if you do end up going to Heartland, go to the one on Broadway, drink, then stumble over to the gyro cart on 53rd and 7th. Phenomenal. Particularly at 2 am
I know that cart, there is always a huge line of people waiting for food, especially at 2am. I was out drinking one night and we ended up going to a club in the area (Iguana's) and stopped by the cart afterwards. Normally I would never eat anything from a street cart, especially at night but that place is an exception.

Secondary:

Tags
beer pub, gastropub, new york city

Quick Reply