Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > New NY brewing law being pushed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1608 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 2668

Another thing I was just thinking is if we could convince New Yorkers that good quality apfelwein is something that they want to drink we could get it on the shelves within the law's guidelines easily. With so few ingredients and ingredient #1 being New York apples (perhaps New York water if forced to make a concentrate), it seems like a no brainer. Long before us New Yorkers were making whiskey we were making apple jack, and lots of it... maybe this is could be a return to our roots with a twist.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #32
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Agreed, but for cider. I hate apfelwein.

rexbanner Likes This 
Old 04-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #33
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1608 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 2668

...or cider... I like cider too...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #34
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I wish I knew this law was coming a few years ago so I could have started a hop farm. We have several hop farms around us and they sell the whole crop before it's harvested every year. There is no way they could plant enough hops in the near future to keep up with local demand. We have 3 new microbreweries opening soon and another distillery. I was at a local brewery last week and he thinks the biggest problem will be getting the barley malted, he seemed to think it had to be done in NY? He did say that he was going to save lots of money when he can change his license.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #35
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Another thing I was just thinking is if we could convince New Yorkers that good quality apfelwein is something that they want to drink we could get it on the shelves within the law's guidelines easily. With so few ingredients and ingredient #1 being New York apples (perhaps New York water if forced to make a concentrate), it seems like a no brainer. Long before us New Yorkers were making whiskey we were making apple jack, and lots of it... maybe this is could be a return to our roots with a twist.
The first hooch I ever made was apple jack from FFA cider that turned on us before wee could sell it all. I managed to take possesion of it... by the New Year it was very nice stuff. I was out in the wood shed ast the back of the house and it froze. Welll.... My buddy and I got it drizzling into bottles during the Christmas break ... not a drop was wasted... but we were.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #36
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

It's looking good:

Albany, NY (June 14, 2012)

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, Majority Leader Dean Skelos, and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver today announced an agreement on legislation that will strengthen and help grow New York State's vibrant craft beer industry.

The legislation is designed to support New York's breweries and wineries, increase demand for locally grown farm products, and expand industry-related economic development and tourism. The legislation will protect an important tax benefit for small breweries that produce beer in New York, exempt breweries that produce small batches of beer (regardless of location) from paying an annual State Liquor Authority fee, and create a Farm Brewery license that will allow craft brewers to expand their operations through opening restaurants or selling new products.

"New York's craft breweries are not just creating great beer that is consumed across the world, they are creating jobs, supporting farmers and our hops growers, and bringing in tourism dollars all across the state," Governor Cuomo said. "This is a big victory for our craft brewers and will help New York's already vibrant beer industry continue to grow. This shows that New York State is truly open to business once again, and I thank Majority Leader Skelos, Speaker Silver, and the legislative sponsors for their hard work in reaching this agreement."

http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/061...raft-breweries

nurture my pig

Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #37
Fly_Rodder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 60,000,000 gallons = Small craft breweries?

Quote:
Under the agreement, any brewery that produces 60 million or less gallons of beer in New York would be eligible for a refundable tax credit applied against New York State personal income and business taxes. The credit amounts would be 14 cents per gallon for the first 500,000 gallons produced in New York, and 4.5 cents per gallon for the next 15 million gallons produced in the State.
I'm all for helping the little guys get established, but that's 2m barrels/year. Giving huge corporate breweries (ahem, Bud) significant tax breaks, just gives them more an advantage then they already have.

The label payment exemption is pretty nice for the smaller breweries though.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #38
maximep
Recipes 

hmmm what about kilning? is this permitted to occur outside of NY state? seems stringent but a good step forward nonetheless.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #39
jdowling
Recipes 

So it looks like this will go into effect sometime in July 2013? Sounds like Cuomo signed it and reading the text of the law it says it goes into effect 180 days after it's signed. I'm not a lawyer or anything but that's how I read it.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #40
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Oh hell, now spammers are going to spam in older threads?

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Quick Reply