Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > New NY brewing law being pushed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #21
VTDuffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
The only problem with the farm brewing thing is that NY need more maltsters if this is to go anywhere. I think there is a very small malt operation somewhere near hudson, since some guy sells his beer at farmers markets. The NY Times did an article on him a while back.
Interestingly, if you look at the way the press release was worded, the ingredients need to either be "grown or produced" in NY. Which really, when you think about it means that you could use barley grown in NY but malted elsewhere, or conversely use barely grown elsewhere but malted in NY.

Again, if the point is to encourage agriculture and/or industry to move or be created in NY, it kind of does both.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1753 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2974

When I said lousy with apples I meant it in the "we have more apples than we know what to do with" sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Considering NYS produces the most apples after Washington state, I'd say we are pretty good with apples. We also produce a lot of heirloom varieties, many of which we should be using for hard cider. Talk about an untapped buisness opportunity.

The only problem with the farm brewing thing is that NY need more maltsters if this is to go anywhere. I think there is a very small malt operation somewhere near hudson, since some guy sells his beer at farmers markets. The NY Times did an article on him a while back.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #23
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My question about the whole thing is this... "Can I gat a tax break to build a malting house to malt the barley we have to grow in NYS?"

Reason: typo
rutsah Likes This 
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on the malting tax break.

The issue is also infrastructure. Valley Malt in MA is running a reasonably successful operation. But they are constantly running out of stock and can't keep a steady flow of product... At least to brew stores here in NYC.

Plus, they have also had to work out the land as they went. There are few barley fields in NY as they have all moved to the Midwest. There are some wheat fields, but malting barley is in short supply.

I think adopting the whole chain is too risky as a new, organic operation (anyone follow NY weather this year?). But, if there are farms willing to grow the malt, I know how to malt! If anyone gets that far, I'll be your maltster! Then, it's about delivering a consistent product with the regularity and growth to work with fledgling, expanding, and high volume breweries in the state.

The demand is there, but there are quite a few steps to get there before you start competing with the big boys.

-S

Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 AM   #25
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

It's been out of business for a while, but the building is still there.

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

jcondzella Likes This 
Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
bb239605
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Anyone else think of futurama when they saw this thread title because it says New New York?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #27
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I live in a really rural part of the state. I can assure you there is a lot of farmland no longer being used. It is mostly dairy farms and it is hard to turn a profit unless they are a huge operation. Maybe something like this would help utilize some of that abandoned farm land.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #28
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Upping barley production is not a problem in my view... the "infrastucture" is already here in NY for growing any grain. Hops is another matter, but close behind the barley. My question is who wants to go in with me on a malting facility?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1753 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2974

Now HERE's a dumb question. Just how hard is it to grow hops in Orange County's famously rocky soil?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I believe a lot of the land in OC was sprayed with a chemical to fight the blight which makes hop growin impossible forever. Beer Sessions Radio had a guy on recently who mentioned something about that.

Quick Reply