Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > New NY brewing law being pushed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Since beer is almost entirely water, seems like you could hit those numbers just by using local water. I guess they mean the grains and hops. I wonder if there is much farming capability to grow barley in a way that would be more competitive than growing corn or whatever they grow in rural parts of NY.

That part of the law probably won't stand up to constitutional scrutiny though.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
NJBlah
Recipes 

New Jersey needs something like that. Our brewing companies are terrible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1776 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 3021

As an upstate native who admittedly knows NOTHING of farming, I WILL say that there is a LOT more arable land in NY state than out-of-staters might think. Whether that translates to barley, I dont know.

Now, if we can make a delicious brewsky out of sweet corn I'd say we had it made...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
fletchsj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I see this as somehow being used in a spoof of the Pace Picante commercials. "New York City!"

also how is the proposed ingredients factored regarding percentage? if it's weight or volume that might be tough. but if each ingredient is weighted equally without factor to physical weight you could be on to something... grain could come from anywhere because it is only valued as 1 unit, just like gypsum or water, or hops, or any other additive :-)

Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Or apples... NYS is lousy with apples. hmm... apple beer...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
asidrane
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know Tundra Brewery is almost entirely NY grown. I think the only thing out of state is the malting of the grains.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
VTDuffman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchsj View Post
also how is the proposed ingredients factored regarding percentage? if it's weight or volume that might be tough. but if each ingredient is weighted equally without factor to physical weight you could be on to something... grain could come from anywhere because it is only valued as 1 unit, just like gypsum or water, or hops, or any other additive :-)
http://www.watershedpost.com/2012/cu...weries-license

In order to receive a Farm Brewery license, the beer must be made primarily from locally grown farm products. Until the end of 2017, at least 20% of the hops and 40% of all other ingredients must be grown or produced in New York State. From January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2022, no less than 60% of the hops and 75% of all other ingredients must be grown or produced in New York State. After January 1, 2023, no less than 90% of the hops and 90% of all other ingredients must be grown or produced in New York State. The beer manufactured under these guidelines would be designated as "New York State labeled beer". The legislation is modeled after the 1976 "Farm Winery Act," which spurred the growth of wine production in this state, including the creation of 237 farm wineries and tripling the number of wineries.

Something to keep in mind, these requirements only apply to small breweries seeking the special "Farm Breweries" license that is only available to operations producing less than 15,000 barrels of beer a year. I'm assuming there are less stringent licensing requirements and likely a lower tax burden associated with such a license.

The point is less about beer and more about promoting NY agriculture using beer which is still cool because, you know...beer

Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I liked the part when beer.

NuclearBrewer Likes This 
Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #19
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Or apples... NYS is lousy with apples. hmm... apple beer...
Considering NYS produces the most apples after Washington state, I'd say we are pretty good with apples. We also produce a lot of heirloom varieties, many of which we should be using for hard cider. Talk about an untapped buisness opportunity.

The only problem with the farm brewing thing is that NY need more maltsters if this is to go anywhere. I think there is a very small malt operation somewhere near hudson, since some guy sells his beer at farmers markets. The NY Times did an article on him a while back.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #20
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Malting would definitely be the issue, but I'm sure someone would jump into the game. As far as grains, NY was one of the bread basket states when I was in grammar school, I definitely remember being taught that. I don't know if we still are, but as was mentioned above, because of the City, many people would be surprised to see just how much farming goes on in NY state.

I'm going to keep my eye on this one closely. As much as I say I don't want to brew "professionally", my cousin really wants to open a BBQ/Brewpub upstate, and if it becomes easier to do, I might start talking to him.

Quick Reply