Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > New NY brewing law being pushed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default New NY brewing law being pushed

Cuomo Pushes Bill Allowing Small Companies to Brew Beer

"New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo proposed a bill that would make it easier for small companies to brew craft beer and increase demand for New York-made beers and wines.

The law would allow brewers to sell New York wines and wineries to sell New York beers at their retail outlets.

So-called farm breweries would be allowed to open restaurants, conference centers, inns or hotels next to the brewery.

The proposed law would require that New York-made beers would have to contain 75 percent New York grown ingredients. After five years, a New York beer would need to have 90 percent of its ingredients grown in New York State.

nurture my pig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thughes, you beat me to it. I was going to post about that this morning.
"One measure seeks to boost production of craft beers with a "made in New York" designation and to spur the state's farmers to plant more hops and barley needed to make beer. A similar initiative in 1976 expanded grape growing and wineries on the East End and elsewhere." Let's hope it helps brewers as much as it helped wine makers (winers?).

Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm doing my part by growing "NY" hops.

nurture my pig

Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 690 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 409

It's a no brainer.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
VTDuffman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
Let's hope it helps brewers as much as it helped wine makers (winers?).
IIRC, the term is "vintners."

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1667 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 2837

I like winers... hehehe... unlike moonshine, has anyone got sicker than a case of the trots from poorly brewed beer? Seems like anyone opposing this bill would have to have a mentality reminiscent of the temperance movement...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

can you really source out enough barley from NY to establish something like this within 5 years? I mean grapes I get; NY wineries are already on the map. I just don't see the barley production pipeline being there as most barley is used for feed. That means barley producers would have to step up their game to get the barley usable in a food (beer) and get it into a sales pipeline. When producing feed grains they don't have to worry about cleanliness, packaging, etc.

This is awesome though -- and definitely a big boon for craft-brew shops. I just hope that the local grain farmers see it as a way to supplement income.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1667 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 2837

If what you are saying becomes a huge issue, could this mean we could see some unique NY brews using alternative grains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSingleton View Post
can you really source out enough barley from NY to establish something like this within 5 years? I mean grapes I get; NY wineries are already on the map. I just don't see the barley production pipeline being there as most barley is used for feed. That means barley producers would have to step up their game to get the barley usable in a food (beer) and get it into a sales pipeline. When producing feed grains they don't have to worry about cleanliness, packaging, etc.

This is awesome though -- and definitely a big boon for craft-brew shops. I just hope that the local grain farmers see it as a way to supplement income.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSingleton View Post

This might force the issue for brewers in the state to utilize barley grown here in NY (I don't even know the numbers). I'm sure that if the grain production isn't then up to par, they'll petition the state for an extension.

VTDuffman, I knew that "winers" wasn't the correct term. I always get stumped when trying to remember vinters though. There are two guys here (at my job) that brew (communications technicians) and two that make wine (radar/ARTS techs). There's an eight foot stretch of walkway in between our areas. I was thinking of putting up a couple of banners. For their side, "spritzer drinking winemakers" and for our side "beer brewing men"...

Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

75% huh?

OK:
25% NY hops
25% NY water