Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Long Island RIMS/Herms set up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
LiGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Long Island RIMS/Herms set up

I have been thinking of building a rims or herms system and have been trying to read up on it. I think I have an all right idea but at the same time I feel lost. if I could see someones up close/ in use I feel like it would help me get my head around it better. Or maybe even find someone who is also looking to build one. Go through the process together... Any ideas/ advice would help

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
sch21c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm in the same boat. Trying to figure out what kind of system I want to put together. Presently using a couple of coolers and a blichmann burner, which all work well, but I'd like to (as one usually does when obsessed with a hobby) take it to the next level. Debating brewstand style (vertical or single tier) and RIMS/HERMS/etc.

I've brewed a couple of times with people who have had the blichmann top tier setups, but not using any type of automation. I like the modularity of it, but I think I like the concept of a single tier system better.

Where are you located? I'm in Bellmore.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Mtn_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I'm a RIMS guy now but I was unsure which way to go initially. I started with this set-up, which was cheap, taught me a lot about recirculation technique and easily incorporated into my final RIMS design. It's all manual, which gave me a good feel for the system. The last two photos show how I ultimately added the pump into my system. As you can see there was no waste.

image-1741766918.jpg   image-1735935068.jpg   image-1633941630.jpg  

Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
sch21c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Interesting. Do you do your boil on the range as well, or just the mash? We just finished renovating (Sandy related) and got one of those heavy duty ranges. I'm going to see if can get 7 gallons of water boiling on it this weekend.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Mtn_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch21c
Interesting. Do you do your boil on the range as well, or just the mash? We just finished renovating (Sandy related) and got one of those heavy duty ranges. I'm going to see if can get 7 gallons of water boiling on it this weekend.
I have since moved the operation to the garage, as seen in the photos. For awhile I used the first system for the direct fire mash and did boil up to 7.5 gallons on the 16,000 BTU burner. I live at 5,000 feet and I bet it would be even weaker at lower altitudes. It worked but was pretty marginal with a barely adequate boil. For awhile I still did the mash on the range and then carried it outside for the boil on a turkey fryer but carrying 8 gallons of wort in a pot got old quickly.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
LiGuy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

thanks for the ideas... I am thinking of trying to build a rims.. not really sure yet.. I am in east northport

Quick Reply