Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > East Coast-West Coast Brew Off WTF?!?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #51
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2700 Times on 2091 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I didn't enter this comp, but this Art guy is such a tool I can't help but feel that he is personally to blame. I can't imagine 5 BJCP judges saying "Yes I will judge Thanksgiving weekend", and then all deciding "Oh wait, I'll be at moms" at the last minute.

My instinct is that the judges were never properly notified, they maybe got something like "hey dood cud yu juj a competishun in a wile?". They said yes so he set the thing up and then last weekend he called them and got "Are you ****ing nuts? Its Thanksgiving retard!" So that's how it got to this point.

The point is that this is an insult to every homebrewer and it is unacceptable. This guy is obviously a complete moron and isn't going to want to take direct responsibilty so that means there's going to have to be some kind of action taken. I would want to know which judges were going to be involved. I kind of doubt that they are personally responsible when it comes down to it, but there's got to be some way to sully this guys reputation to the point that nobody in the beer world will have anything to do with him. It will take some energy to make it happen though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #52
CaptKiRkLeS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I told him to judge my beers. I'm not worried about getting my beer back so I might as well make him work for it.

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #53
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Make sure to post back with whatever tasting notes they share with you, as I'm certain they'll be the best quality tasting notes any of us has ever seen...

Old 11-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #54
dlittle29
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb
Make sure to post back with whatever tasting notes they share with you, as I'm certain they'll be the best quality tasting notes any of us has ever seen...
The bier wuz gud

Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #55
ZamaMan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I bet he's "filling" good. Seriously what moron can't spell feel!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #56
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKiRkLeS View Post
I told him to judge my beers. I'm not worried about getting my beer back so I might as well make him work for it.
I asked if any BJCP certified judges would be participating or if it's just the homebrew club members that will be judging. The answer was that it will just be the homebrew club members.

I too opted to participate. I figure I'm not local so I can't pick them up and I'm sure as hell not paying again to have them shipped back. It's pretty disappointing, but it is what it is.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 11-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #57
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I chose to ignore him. My beers were with Kirk's, so maybe they will get "judged", maybe they won't. I don't care either way. Based on the emails we have been receiving, I'm in no need of the feedback they will provide. "Neds mer choclet" isn't going to do me any good. Neither will "Plese sind fur mer botlles fur Best of Showe. My dog will b juging it."

I am more concerned with getting a response from the AHA. Both emails I sent returned automatic responses regarding Thanksgiving, so I am hoping for a response next week. As long as I don't see "East Coast vs West Coast II" next year, I'll be happy.

Until then,

Peas ought, dueds! Happie Thxgving, da newst holdaye en da wurld!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #58
neovox

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Plese sind fur mer botlles fur Best of Showe. My dog will b juging it."

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #59
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2426 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1377

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovox View Post

Needs moar hops!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #60
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Gary Glass responded to me today:

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention. The BJCP handles all competition registrations, so I checked in with David Houseman, the Competition Director for the BJCP. David indicated he had received a complaint about the competition and had checked in with the competition director. Here’s David’s response:

“They had about 40+ entries but only got one BJCP judge to sign up so they cancelled the formal competition but agreed to refund the entry fees and to go ahead and judge the entries and provide feedback to the entrants.”

From David’s response, it sounds like they are going to go ahead with the judging, but didn’t want to take the entrant’s money given that they did not have as many BJCP judges as they had intended.

Neither the AHA nor BJCP have direct control over any competition. The purpose of the Sanctioned Competition Program is to provide a framework for running competitions, including forms, procedures and awarding points for judges. If a competition fails to meet the few requirements of running a sanctioned competition, we can decline to sanction the competition in the future. There is nothing in the sanctioning guidelines dealing with cancelation of competitions and no minimum requirement for BJCP ranked judge participation, so no specific rule that has been violated in this case. As such, there is not much we can do other than refuse future sanctioning if this becomes a pattern for this particular competition.

Cheers!
Gary

Gary Glass
Director
On top of that, my package was returned! As Neovox stated, the address I shipped to (provided by the idiot running the comp), was for a closed business. At least I got my beer back! All told, I'm out $11 and I now know that the AHA responds personally to emails regarding problems.

Quick Reply