Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > East Coast-West Coast Brew Off WTF?!?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #31
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like Art's already started getting into those entries...

Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #32
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Airborneguy - This thread is very interesting. I also entered the competition. I originally sent my entries to the address published in the "Entry info section" on the BJCP competition site, only to have the enters refused upon delivery. I contacted Art via email to ask what was going on and was told that the published address was his business address, which was damaged during the storms and is now closed. He apologized and gave me a new address... his home. I noticed too that shortly after the conversation, the address on the website was updated. ($12 FexEx down the drain). I received my shipment back and sent another shipment to the new address ($16 this time since it is residential). Today I received the paypal refund with the same explanation. I was totally pissed given what I've spend in shipping. I have not yet reached out for an explanation, so I'll be interested to see how this goes. Nothing I have states that beers will still be judged. I jumped up on HBT to see if anyone else had posted and sure enough....

BTW, this was the explanation that was given in the refund email....

Quote:
Note from merchant
Attention all particapants entred into west coast east coast home brew compition November 27 2011 it is with sad regreat that i must inform you that the compition has been cancelled do to the holiday and a lack of judges we fill we can no longer put on this compition acording to AHA rules and regulations. all entry fees will be refunded to all particpaints all checks will be returned. if payed by paypal your acct will be credited Im trully sorry Art

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #33
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Please send him an email and post here what he replies. His latest email started with "Dude, give me a break", definitely not the response I expected.

After what you said, I'm wondering if my entry was delivered at all! I sent to the business address also. I believe the first line was "OC"?

This is a very disappointing situation to have to go through, as it will definitely affect my decisions on whether to enter certain competitions in the future.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #34
neovox

Recipes 

The business address was:

Quote:
Ocean City Cigars (OCC)
9305 COASTAL HWY
OCEAN CITY, MD 21842
The updated address was:
Quote:
36288 SUNFLOWER BLVD
SELBYVILLE, DE 19975

Old 11-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #35
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Art,

So what's going on with the comp? There is no comp at all? How did this all just happen?? I don't think it's right that we go through sending the beer for a BJCP event and have this happen.

What gives???

That's what I just sent....let's see what kind of response I get.

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #36
neovox

Recipes 

Sent to participants last night:

Quote:
west coast east coast cancellation

hello by now most of you have received the notice that the home brew competition was canceled early this morning. do to circumstances be on are control i had no other option but to pull the plug. we had 4 judges pull out of the competition in the last 4 days with the holiday coming i could see were this was going.

we had one of are judges on Monday that was to bring down the beer from are drop off point in Baltimore tell me their was only a couple of entry's their when in fact they had over 30 entry's that we didn't now about with no help and no time to drive 6hr to pick up the entry's that we didn't have enough judges for the anyway we felt that we couldn't hold this competition to the highest standards of an AHA competition and be fare to every one an award the AHA certificate.

All of you have been given a refund via the method you payed pay pal,personal checks, or cash this was done this morning.

if you want to pick up your entry's you can do that any time just let me know when is good for you.

OK with all that said I'm going to confuse you.

west coast east coast competition is no longer sanctioned by the AHA and west coast east coast is dead being that we didn't have enuff judges to be sanctioned AHA and award a certificate .

ocean city home brew club still plans on judging any entry that wants to be judge it just wont be by a sanctioned AHA judge. your beer is all ready here it cost you nothing for this feed back everything is the same except we wont be doing it at the brewery and we wont be giving out the AHA certificate.

we still plan on awarding 1st 2nd 3rd place medals for all the categories listed on the competition page. we still plan on giving a BOS trophy it just wont be this Sunday. your entry will be judge by a fellow home brewer. some of you have all ready contacted me with the go ahead to enter your beer and some of you have told me to ..... .... hey that's your choice. if you want your entry back we will pack it you just need to have ups pick it up.

some of you may not want to have your beer judge or sent back in that case we will trash it at your request.

I'M sorry for the confusion earlier i wanted to send out this email with your refund so you would understand but it been that kind of day so if you still want your beer judge by your fellow home brewers i will need an email back from you by Monday Nov 28

if you want your beer back let me know and we can help you arrange that.

if you don't want to enter and you don't want your beer back please let me know

if we do not here back from you by Nov 28 will discard your entry

ATTENTION IF YOU DROPPED OF YOUR ENTRY AT MHB YOU MUST PICK IT UP THEY WILL NOT SHIP IT BACK TO YOU

i hope this has cleared some off the air

please let me know what you would like to do

art

Old 11-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #37
usfmikeb
Recipes 

Wow, I've learned a big lesson from all of this, and I didn't even submit an entry. In the future, I'm going to ensure that I have some communication with any event in order to ensure that everything feels kosher. Not that it is anyone's fault in this on this site, but if I'd had an email exchange with this guy in advance of the competition, there's no way I would have mailed him an entry.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #38
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
do to circumstances be on are control i had no other option

hukt on fonix wurkt for me!

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #39
usfmikeb
Recipes 

I was impressed that he managed to spell "circumstances" correctly!

Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #40
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
I was impressed that he managed to spell "circumstances" correctly!
His letter is exactly what every teacher in America has been fearing since the introduction of spell check.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply