The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Brooklyn Wort 2013?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Brooklyn Wort 2013?

I just found out that I was fortunate to be selected as one of the 30 brewers for this year's Brooklyn Wort (which apparently is on September 8th now, not August 17th). Anyone else brewing for this? I've never been to one of these things; what's it like? I understand from looking at last year's thread (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f209/201...rewers-353032/) that decoration may be involved?

I have a few batches going now that, if good, I might enter, but there's also potentially time to brew something new if it'll have a quick turnaround. So, you know, probably not that oaked imperial oyster lambic, but 3 months is decent for your more straightforward stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 344

I was selected too, my first comp entry. I haven't been to Brooklyn Wort before, so I can't contribute much more than that. I'm interested to pick up the score sheets and see any comments.

I'm kind of pissed they changed the date though. I'm getting married on Sept 7th, so making it on the 8th might be a tough call. Or at least a tough sell to the fiance.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
motorneuron
Recipes 

Haha, I also am attending a wedding on September 7th (though not my own), so the 8th isn't great for me either. But all's fair in love and beer, or something. This will also be my first competition, so I have no expectation of doing well; I just think it will be fun.

My impression from reading around a little is that people tend to make weird things. I guess that makes sense, given that it's an "anything goes," non-BJCP contest. I still can't decide if that means I should try to make something truly odd, or if I should just emphasize making something that I think is my best showing, objectively speaking. I guess I feel like it's more in the spirit of things to go a bit outside the box, but I don't really have any experience with that yet. We'll see!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm sure it's a mix. I saw that an oyster stout won it last year.

What beer did you enter for the first round? Mine was a session IPA based on a recipe from this site. My main brew buddy submitted one of our saisons too, but didn't get picked.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
motorneuron
Recipes 

For the first round I submitted my version of the rye saison that's on this site and very popular (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/how-...t-comp-238831/). I didn't change the grain bill at all, though I did use slightly different sugar, a different yeast, and some proprietary spicing (nothing too crazy, and nothing that stood out).

I think in the end I'll just use whatever I have on hand that tastes the best in August. I do have a few ideas for some short-turnaround beers. My biggest problem for new batches is that I don't have real temperature control, so it'll be hard for me to do much over the summer that isn't saison.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hah, yea same problem here. First thought was saison, but now you've got me wondering how many others are having the same thought.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Decided to bow out from this one. Sucks, but probably the right choice. Best of luck to you, interested to hear how it goes. Maybe there are still some other HBT entrants lurking.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
motorneuron
Recipes 

That's too bad! I guess it's pretty poor timing with your wedding--unfortunate they changed the date. But on the bright side, at least now you won't have to brew an oyster kolsch to grab the judges' attention.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
BrewFresh
Recipes 

I'm in this contest too, only my second entry into a comp and I'm psyched to have been selected for the next round. However I am struggling a bit with deciding what to brew, like you other posters out there. A few weeks ago I brewed up the wookey jack clone that's posted on the boards here, so that's sitting around in secondary waiting for a keg and some dry hops...may qualify as "out of the box" enough to turn some heads. But i'm still feeling as though I should do another, or two more, brews as backup in case that one doesn't really shape up to be my best effort come september. Any inspiration out there lurking in the dark that someone wants to shed some light on?

I've got the stuff for this one and decided early on I was going to make it for Brooklyn Wort but now I'm thinking it's not "unique" enough. I think what bothers me most is I just don't know what the judges are going to be looking for: a well brewed beer or something well brewed that also stands out as being enough out of style to be daring.

Thoughts?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
motorneuron
Recipes 

My guess is that excellence is a necessary condition for doing well, and weirdness is gravy. I'm guessing that the beers that place will all be excellent. Among those, it might be that the one that is weirdest wins. But since I can't reliably produce excellent beer, I'm trying to focus on getting something that is without flaws and is really enjoyable to drink; I don't have the luxury to know how to do that and ALSO make something that is wild and crazy.

All that said, I do have a few things going that are not totally straightforward, either--a 100% brett saison, a made-up Kentuckyish common infulenced thing, a Belgian dark strong, and an RIS. If those turn out well, I'll enter them. So if they all wind up weird, I will probably make something hoppy at the last minute (that is, the first week of August) and hope for the best!

Quick Reply