Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Brewing in NYC...city water OK?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

I've been brewing with it for 5 years with great results.. right out of the tap.

And PS... its a well known fact around here that its the water that makes our breads and pizza superior to pretty much everywhere else (although the best loaf of fresh bread I've ever had was in Kosovo).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
Skins_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a neutral party to the pizza controversy, as I am from DC. I have had pizza in Chicago and NYC and Chicago takes the cake every time. I mean, one slice of that deep dish is enough to satisfy, while that paper thin grease soaked slice from NY takes 3 or 4 to be content.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #13
NYCBrewGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Heresy! Chicago deep dish is not pizza... at least not in the way anybody from the east coast thinks of pizza. NYC pizza is the best and a taste of the pies offered by any of NYC's top joints - DiFara, L&B, or, my new favorite, Motorino will quickly help you forget any "grease soaked slice" you may have had at a lesser eatery.

As for brewing - I've only made a handful of brews in my 6 months as a homebrewer but NYC water with no additions seems to do fine so far. I'm also fairly certain that Sixpoint uses the local water (and they often speak favorably of NYC water in interviews). And lets not forget that Brooklyn was once the brewing capital of the US.

Now all we need is a good home brew shop in town...

Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #14
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

www.brooklyn-homebrew.com

Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've been brewing with it for 5 years with great results.. right out of the tap.

And PS... its a well known fact around here that its the water that makes our breads and pizza superior to pretty much everywhere else (although the best loaf of fresh bread I've ever had was in Kosovo).
That is correct. A friend of mine in FL told me there is a bagel store that brings water from NYC to make bagels in FL.

There is some bottled water company that uses NYC tap water (not Dasani). They pump it in a warehouse in Brooklyn and transport it by truck to bottling plant in NJ. The whole gimmick of this bottled water is that its from NYC and its not driven a long distance, so its more green. You might as well just drink NYC tap water and avoid buying bottled water all together.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 12-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #16
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBrewGuy View Post
Heresy! Chicago deep dish is not pizza... at least not in the way anybody from the east coast thinks of pizza. NYC pizza is the best and a taste of the pies offered by any of NYC's top joints - DiFara, L&B, or, my new favorite, Motorino will quickly help you forget any "grease soaked slice" you may have had at a lesser eatery.

As for brewing - I've only made a handful of brews in my 6 months as a homebrewer but NYC water with no additions seems to do fine so far. I'm also fairly certain that Sixpoint uses the local water (and they often speak favorably of NYC water in interviews). And lets not forget that Brooklyn was once the brewing capital of the US.

Now all we need is a good home brew shop in town...
L&B's changed owners a few years ago and its not as good as it used to be for square slices.

http://www.totonnos.com/ is still good.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Quick Reply