New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > State College, PA Brew Expo - July 28th

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
MATT0404
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I missed the last two years due to deployments, but I'll definitely be there this year! I have some friends who are coming up from DC/Fairfax area. We're going to the early session.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is coming up quickly; only a few days. Who will be there for sure?

I (the SWMBO, and two friends) will be at the late session with a room at the Penn Stater for after.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm going to the early session with my brother.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The wife and I are going to the early session. I willl actually be taking notes so if you see someone doing that it could be me.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Darn, everyone is the early bird...

I am taking a notepad too.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So I was at the early session... much busier than I remember from last year. A good number of new brewers to keep things interesting... my brother and I agreed that our favorite of the show was newcomer Abbey Wright. I couldn't stop drinking their Bittersweet Porter, it was great.

DFH also had the randall out which was cool to see (and taste!), that was a first for me. Other than that, I was disappointed in a few of the brewers, like Stone and Stoudt's. They had no surprises, just their regular selection... Stone with their IPA and Arrogant Bastard, Stoudt's with their APA, Weizen, and IPA. I would have liked to see something out of the ordinary. At least some of the smaller brewers like Otto's had things JUST for the BrewExpo.

Oh and I was glad Unibroue brought a few different ones... love their stuff but hate to buy it by the case around here. It was good to try Quelque Chose and Unibroue 16.

Great time all in all, I look forward to going again next year.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #17
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Definitely had a great time as well. Although I agree it would have been 110% more enjoyable if they kept the # of tickets constant and spread it into 2 rooms. The waiting lines for drinks weren't all that bad, but there was NOWHERE to stand without being bumped until it started to die down a little around 9PM... Not sure if the 1st session was sold out, but the second was and the line to get in at 6 was wrapping through the entire hotel and conference center. Took me til 620 to even get in... Oh, and by the time I got to the head-table to sign up for seminars (maybe 640) EVERY seminar was filled and no more signup. Looks like this has definitely become a popular event...

Beer selection was superb though and I tried anything and everything (almost) I hadn't had prior (which was probably > 50%). I enjoyed Johnstown Brewery, East End, and Abbey Wright very much... Also, had to hit a few old stand-me-bys. Stopped by Bells, DFH, etc. even though I'm familiar with their stuff. The 60 minute out of the Randall was great and the Raison D'EXTRA definitely has some kick at 18%...

Good time all in all.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #18
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Did you notice that a few breweries were missing? I didn't see Appalachian, Great Lakes, Brooklyn, Clipper City, or Oskar Blues.

Also some of the beers listed on the site didn't make an appearance... like Unibroue Ephemere Cassis or Mardesous.

Oh also, those gluten-free beers actually didn't suck!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #19
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, I saw some of the Breweries were missing. I assume it's because they didn't bring enough to last two sessions (underrated the demand), but who knows... I think I saw Stouts packing it in before 9PM too (maybe not, but looked like it) b/c, I'm assuming, they ran out?

I only got to taste two of the Unibroue offerings as well. There was killer lines for their beers like all night long and I just went elsewhere.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #20
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was at the first session and didn't see those guys, so I'm thinking they weren't there at all. Kind of a shame, I really wanted to try Brooklyn's stuff... never had it...

Quick Reply