Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > Pittsburgh!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
char005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, and make sure to do lunch at the Church Brew Works. 4 medals at GABF this year and also small brewpub of the year. Went there recently after a long hiatus from that place and the brews were awesome. Had a brett pale ale and a thunderhop extreme. Both super tasty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #12
hinkle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

While your trip has long been over, just for others in the pittsburgh area.

Bocktown was alright. I'll be blunt, a cook gave me grief because I pronounced "Weyerbacher" WAYer instead of WIREr. They still didn't have their imperial pumpkin. Waiter was nice and did his best. (I was at their Beaver Valley Mall location) Only 1 trip there.

Hollywood Gardens in Rodchester http://www.hollywoodgardensbar.com/index.html I saw was unmentioned. I guess it is about 30 mins from Pittsburgh. IMO its worth the trip. They only have 300 some beers, but have 20 some on tap. The waiter we had was also very knowledgeable on the beers they had. It is bit of a hipster kinda place, poorly lite, industrial feel, open ceilings, etc. Drink another you won't care. Its similar to Bocktown that you can walk into their "Beercave" and have a look at their selection. Foods pretty cheap too. If your there and like tattoos, check out Crayons, its only a block or two away, went to school with one of the artist there. Also only 1 trip there, BUT! Founders Brewing was there giving out FREE samples of their Breakfast Oatmeal stout and their IPA. MMMMMMM free beer

North Country Brewery http://northcountrybrewing.com/welcome.htm Another unmentioned but an hour away. A little pricey, they do limited their "high octane" beers to two, but they brew all their own beers. Foods pretty good too, just a little pricey like I said. Not far from 79

Full Pint http://fullpintbrewing.com I didn't see them mentioned either, I had heard one of the guys from North Country left and started Full Pint with a couple other brewers, but thats just hearsay. I don't know the true story. All I do know is their "Night of the Living Stout" is perfect. I've haven't had their Perc E Bust or the TRI-PA. The Chinookie is very hoppy, very. All of it is pretty good. The Festavis is also pretty good. I don't see it listed on their "soon to be open" site.

Please let me know if their is a Pittsburgh thread, this was just the first I came across.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

One other place I'd add (although it's a treck) is Vintage Estates in Boardman, OH. This place is a great stop if you're driving through OH to Pittsburg or vice versa, an is about 75 minutes out from Pittsburgh. They have a gigantic bottle shop, a restaurant, and a mead bar. It'd be tough to get there if you're in Pitt for the weekend (you'd miss too many good places while you're driving), but it's an excellent place to visit if you have some spare time.

Also make sure to hit the public market if your ever in the strip district. East End has a growler shop in the corner, and samples are $1.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
kaboom133
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wow, Its nice to see Greensburg show up on here. Headkeeper does have an awesome bottle selection, and mister bones has great food and a nice mix n match. If anybody happens to be in the Greensburg area, stop by Johnny's Wife's place in Jeannette. They have a pretty nice selection also, 29 taps, though 4 or 5 of them are BMC, and a decent bottle selection, plenty of locals like helltown, all saint's and full pint too. Plus, you get the added bonus of me buying you a beer or two if you shoot me a pm before hand and I'm free! (disclaimer, I work there, and this is a shameless plug)

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers77 View Post
My home base. My best friend designed the place and Dave (the owner) is a really nice guy. Get there if you can!
No ****? Who do you know? The bartenders are all some of my best friends (known them for a long time even before the House) and the current manager John (Dave's son-in-law) is a buddy of mine. Wonder if I've seen you there before. I used to stop by all the time after work (but not so much these days).

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Quick Reply