The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > Philly Brew Magic Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
WissahickonBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Philly Brew Magic Brewers

Fellow Brewers:

After quite a bit of research online we recently acquired a BM and completed our first full brew this past Saturday. I know our speed and efficiency will increase with every use. Overall, the engineering and design is impressive. The workmanship of every component is professional grade. I wish we had more fermentation space that would allows us to run a couple more batches right away!

Automation is an aspect of the system, but it's a far cry from an automatic process! We will learn as we go, but it would be a great opportunity to network with other local Brew Magic owners to share ideas and swap stories!

Are there any Philly Brew Magic Brewers out there? Please regard "Philly" as the Delaware Valley!

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
WissahickonBrew
Recipes 

Not a one?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I have a single tier but it is not automated nor a brew magic. I wanted the hands on approach.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
WissahickonBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply!

I checked out your link with photos, your ST looks great! So far what we have found the term "automated" is a bit overstated with the BM. Of course it is a far cry from pots on the kitchen stove for the last 4 years! My hope is we increase proficiency in duplicating our best recipes but I just know we are missing some of the wisdom experienced users have learned over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
I have a single tier but it is not automated nor a brew magic. I wanted the hands on approach.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Are you using a rims tube with the BM? I figured that, coupled with a PID, was pretty much as automated as it needed to get! I don't have any pids/starters on the burners, etc. It's all direct fire, and reliant on analog thermo's. Oh, and me keeping an eye on the temp (which is tough to do sometimes).

Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
WissahickonBrew
Recipes 

Yes the tube works well creating the gentle whirl pool as designed. It's necessary to keep a sharp eye on mash temps and utilizing the burner until you get to within range, then the electronic heat ex-changer takes over to maintain temp stability, and no scorch. Relative to the entire brew day this is a short period of time to be ultra vigilant, but with beers in hand, a little friend helping you stay on track is welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
Are you using a rims tube with the BM? I figured that, coupled with a PID, was pretty much as automated as it needed to get! I don't have any pids/starters on the burners, etc. It's all direct fire, and reliant on analog thermo's. Oh, and me keeping an eye on the temp (which is tough to do sometimes).

Old 11-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
ensignvix
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi there, while not in Delaware Valley, I do own one up in the Lehigh Valley. I've brewed 17 batches since getting it in April. I can post a bit more later with my findings but in general I'm very happy with the system.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
WissahickonBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the post. We have 4 brews under our belt and feel confident now about ingredient volumes, timing, boil volumes, etc.

Doing great partial mash brews for 4 years it took a bit of adjustment going all grain RIMS. LOVE the tool and anxious to brew more and more. Our latest double IPA turned out clean, flavorful with just the right bite of hops.

Next batch will be an oatmeal raisin Christmas ale. Hoping for full body and rich session flavors and aroma.

My original post was intended to engage with other BM owners to trade success stories. Thanks for joining in!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
WissahickonBrew
Recipes 

WOW, I salute you sir! You are either very thirsty, or have many new friends since getting your BM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignvix View Post
Hi there, while not in Delaware Valley, I do own one up in the Lehigh Valley. I've brewed 17 batches since getting it in April. I can post a bit more later with my findings but in general I'm very happy with the system.

Quick Reply