Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > Philly area Homebrewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #291
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'll be at WOTW. Because it's my job.... see you guys there. Gonna be a crazy long day. I'm judging the morning session.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #292
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
I'm not going to make it to WOTW this weekend, I did submit 2 beers though. Instead I am just going to take a little old trip to Brussels and Brugge for a few days, ho-hum. I leave tomorrow night, cant wait.
well, that's a good excuse! Enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Over the river and through the woods.

Plan on being there. Always a good time.
Nice! Should figure out a way to meet up. I'm liking the brew pub pour session before the award announcements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotBrew View Post
I'm just back from a long weekend in Vegas with work. Was sooooo nice to be wearing shorts & t-shirt during the day!
I hear that!! It sucked having to put on pants, shoes (damn flip flops/barefeet is sooo much nicer), and a second layer this morning!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #293
ScotBrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I hear ya! Although being out in shorts/tshirt and then the sun going down wasn't much fun! Could literally feel the temp gauge dropping every minute!

Fermenter 3 - Green Flash IPA Clone
Fermenter 4, 5 & 6 - Empty
Bottled - Kolsch

Old 02-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #294
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 277

So how did you all do at the WotW last night? My foreign extra stout didn't place but I scored a 38, so I was pretty happy with that. Anxious to get my scoresheet back.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #295
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 79

38 is a great score. My wife and I took 2nd in the Strong Ales with an American Barleywine. Not bad out of 39 entries at the table! Some of those categories were brutal. We got a 38.5 on a bretted IPA, and didn't get a wif of anything in the Specialty category. Apparantly that was loaded with Black IPA's, and enough that there are pretty much two different Black IPA styles (at least as evident from the submissions). Either it's an IPA with a little bit of Carafa put in it to darken it, or it's a West Coast Stout that's been hopped all to hell. Either way, I'd be happy if they made that another category, or sub categories to IPA. And alot of people are playing around with bretted styles that aren't normally soured. Would like to see a category/sub category for that. Though that could be tough, if you screwed up a beer you could just put it in a "soured" collect all. i guess I can see that.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #296
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1
38 is a great score. My wife and I took 2nd in the Strong Ales with an American Barleywine. Not bad out of 39 entries at the table!
Congrats. This my first ever comp, so I was unsure what to expect. If you don't mind me asking, what score did you get? Or...what kind of score usually places?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #297
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post
Congrats. This my first ever comp, so I was unsure what to expect. If you don't mind me asking, what score did you get? Or...what kind of score usually places?
In a lot of smaller competitions a 38 would place if not win. I judged the specialty category yesterday and it was really intense. We had a ton of Rye IPAs as well as Black IPAs. I don't think it's remotely fair those two styles of IPA are in specialty category. That section should be reserved for beers with specialty ingredients as it was intended. I had a great day at WOTW even though I was working. I stood outside for 2 hours directing traffic. It was nice and quiet out there.

I finally had some free time to myself today so I worked on my kegorator. Went from a single tap tower to this....

Need to paint the tubing but whatever. I can finally pour all four beers the kegorator holds. I also sold one of my kettles and picked up one of the new Bayou Classic 64qt Deluxe kettles we started carrying at Keystone. They come with a pretty nice falso bottom system. I'll be using it as my direct fire mash tun. No pics of the kettle. It's still in the box...

Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #298
jeffjm
Custom Yeast Home Builder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post

The actual score doesn't seem to matter much when it comes to placing. I've placed as low as 30 and missed out as high as 42. It doesn't seem to matter how big or small the comp is, either. At an 850 entry competition recently, I had a German pils score a 40 and not place. My American IPA scored a 35 and took second place. Go figure.

I set out running but I take my time.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #299
jeffjm
Custom Yeast Home Builder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
We got a 38.5 on a bretted IPA, and didn't get a wif of anything in the Specialty category. Apparantly that was loaded with Black IPA's, and enough that there are pretty much two different Black IPA styles (at least as evident from the submissions). Either it's an IPA with a little bit of Carafa put in it to darken it, or it's a West Coast Stout that's been hopped all to hell. Either way, I'd be happy if they made that another category, or sub categories to IPA.
No kidding. At the last comp I judged, I did cat 23, and fully a third of the entries were black IPAs. I hope they get their own subcategory under IPA soon.

I set out running but I take my time.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #300
ScotBrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Has anyone ever been to McKenzie Brew House in Berwyn? I pass it going to/from work and checked it out online. Pics of it look good but was wondering if anyone had been before?

Fermenter 3 - Green Flash IPA Clone
Fermenter 4, 5 & 6 - Empty
Bottled - Kolsch

Quick Reply