Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > Philly area Homebrewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #131
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I am not. It is my understanding you have to surrender your recipe to them, regardless of whether you do well or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #132
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Which one of you guys drives an blue RSX? I keep seeing a guy with a "I brew the beer I drink" sticker on 95/girard/73 going to and from work.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #133
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddsworth View Post
Hey is anybody entering the Triumph competition?
It was a big cluster last year when it was sponsored by Preston and Steve. They wanted your detailed recipe before even tasting your beer. Then instead of doing a preliminary round and limiting it to 25 in the final round like they said, they invited everyone who entered into the final round at Triumph. I think it was 300 entries - all different styles. You had to show up on the day of judging with a sixpack of cold homebrew.

There's too many hastily thrown-together homebrew contests lately.

The most insulting is the Chester County Brewfest. Not only do you have to provide 4+ gallons of beer for free, you have to pay a $50 deposit to insure that you show up. The prize? Bragging rights and a plaque. So I have to pay a $50 bond, schlep a keg, gas setup, liquid setup, etc. so that I can stand there all day and serve my homebrew while the organizers are charging $35/person? I know they can't compensate with money for legal reasons, but at least give some t-shirts and have an actual prize for the homebrewers. Where's the incentive? This seems like a giant front so that the organizers can have free beer for their BBQ. 'Oh...let's make it a homebrew contest so we can get these dumb homebrewers to give us free beer for our event. We don't feel like buying kegs of beer...that costs money.'

They should make it a BBQ contest, homebrew contest and battle of the bands all in one. Free food, free beer, free entertainment.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #134
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
It was a big cluster last year when it was sponsored by Preston and Steve. They wanted your detailed recipe before even tasting your beer. Then instead of doing a preliminary round and limiting it to 25 in the final round like they said, they invited everyone who entered into the final round at Triumph. I think it was 300 entries - all different styles. You had to show up on the day of judging with a sixpack of cold homebrew.

There's too many hastily thrown-together homebrew contests lately.

The most insulting is the Chester County Brewfest. Not only do you have to provide 4+ gallons of beer for free, you have to pay a $50 deposit to insure that you show up. The prize? Bragging rights and a plaque. So I have to pay a $50 bond, schlep a keg, gas setup, liquid setup, etc. so that I can stand there all day and serve my homebrew while the organizers are charging $35/person? I know they can't compensate with money for legal reasons, but at least give some t-shirts and have an actual prize for the homebrewers. Where's the incentive? This seems like a giant front so that the organizers can have free beer for their BBQ. 'Oh...let's make it a homebrew contest so we can get these dumb homebrewers to give us free beer for our event. We don't feel like buying kegs of beer...that costs money.'

They should make it a BBQ contest, homebrew contest and battle of the bands all in one. Free food, free beer, free entertainment.

There is some upside to that event, you get some exposure and directly interface with people drinking your beer (lots of them). But, they are clearly just taking advantage of homebrewers to turn a profit and I don't agree with that.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #135
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
There is some upside to that event, you get some exposure and directly interface with people drinking your beer (lots of them). But, they are clearly just taking advantage of homebrewers to turn a profit and I don't agree with that.
I think they say it's for charity, but I can't see any mention of where that money is going. If it was a charity I cared about, they didn't have the $50 deposit and their "Info for Brewers" didn't insult me as a homebrewer, I might consider it. The wording is pretty insulting that they provide "beer lovers eager to drink your beer." If you make good homebrew, people should be always eager to drink it. I'm eager to drink my beer, my friends are eager to drink my beer. I don't need randoms drinking all my beer.

Plus, I just realized that you have to give up your entire summer Saturday night since you have to "serve your beer from your table for the duration of the event." Lame.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #136
jwible204
Recipes 

I entered, I'll be serving a Citra IPA. My friend is also entered so hopefully we'll be able to get a spot next to each other. I'm just looking forward to interfacing directly with people and answering questions that guests may have.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #137
phillyhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey everyone! Thanks for the shout outs earlier. Don't forget June 23rd we're hosting a Homebrew Flea Market. Bring anything you'd like to sell.

Philly Homebrew Outlet located at 1447 N. American St, Philadelphia, PA 19122

www.phillyhomebrew.com - 215-755-4556 - info@phillyhomebrew.com

Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #138
TEarley
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hey, Doylestown brewer here. what's going on

Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #139
stblindtiger
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What are going to be the Philly Beer Week events that are a MUST go to?

I definitely want to try and hit up Teresa's in Wayne for that Hill Farmstead event, there are also a TON of things going on that Thursday too... What are you looking forward to most?

Bottled - Lots
Up Next - Rye Saison, Pumpkin Ale, Citra IIPA, Rauchbier

Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #140
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Not sure yet on the PBW events. We're trying to nail down some events that our club will be going to at thurs meeting. Probably will ride in on sat or sun and hit a few. I'll report back when we have a better idea...

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Quick Reply