The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > Philly area Homebrewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #121
jwible204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dropped my Q entry off tonight and had dinner there. I had a weird problem with my keg when I was filling my bottles, it was pulling a ton of bubbles and foaming wildly. Because of this I wasted a lot of beer and the files aren't great, but I capped on foam so hopefully they won't oxidize. Are they kept refrigerated between drop off and judging?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #122
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
Yeah, bottling my beer tonight! Mine will be the slightly carbonated one! I figured it was free, then just lost track of time (honestly thought I had another week).

I will also be participating in the BBQ contest. I asked if it was kosher to bring down my jockey box and have my beer for myself and "helpers". Understandably, it is not.

I know this is late/last minute. But I throw the invite out there again for anyone in the area looking to participate in a group brew tomorrow. We're hosting one for our club at our place. The more the merrier. Plus, you might get to try out some of what I have planned for next weekends BBQ comp! PM if you're interested and would like an address.
Awesome, I'll stop by and try some of that BBQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
I dropped my Q entry off tonight and had dinner there. I had a weird problem with my keg when I was filling my bottles, it was pulling a ton of bubbles and foaming wildly. Because of this I wasted a lot of beer and the files aren't great, but I capped on foam so hopefully they won't oxidize. Are they kept refrigerated between drop off and judging?
Not sure, I would hope so but I kind of doubt it. I'll ask them and if there is an answer I'll get back to you. I'll be stopping in there this week sometime.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #123
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I'm going with a slighty different theme. I figure everyone will be doing pork. So I'm making "Smokehouse Sliders".

Mixing a crapton (yes that's a measurement) of diced bacon with ground beef. Then making a pocket and creating 4 flavors.

Feta
Asiago
Stilton Blue
Adams Reserve Cheddar

Figure I'll make about 80-100 of those, then making 100-130 BBQ Popper's. Jalepeno's stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and a lil smokie cocktail weenie, all wrapped in Bacon.

Making some ribs for family/friends that are stopping down, not really doing those for the general public since they cost so damn much. Still trying to decide if I should make some "pig candy" to finish it all off. We'll see when I go to sams, what kind of mood I'm in...

Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #124
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

mmmmm, meat cupcakes....

Ended up making 130 "Smokehouse Sliders". Now just need to prep the bbq poppers tomorrow.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #125
Coff
Recipes 

Yesterday was a good time, nice meeting you and your wife Derek. Next time we should bring some of our beers and have a sampling. Oh and thanks for the poppers and sliders, they were super good.

My only issue with events like this is that you get zero feedback on your brews, not even a little score sheet. I guess thats what you get when half the judges are Eagles offensive lineman. I was talking to a few people I knew that were judges and they said they didnt have my beer, it was a 100% Brett Bitter so they would have known if they had it.

I remember you saying something about how the judges knew whos beers were whos and that weighing on their decision? Is that true?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #126
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

That's what I was told. I'm guessing the judges wouldn't have the balls to come out and admit it. Then again, one of them was George Hummel, who is ........

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #127
Jakesbeer
Recipes 

Hey guys, we're getting the sheets in the mail to you this week. Thanks for coming out. That Brett beer was pretty tasty and Fess you're Q was the bomb. Nice getting to know you.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #128
Coff
Recipes 

Whoops, now I feel like a jackass.

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #129
Jakesbeer
Recipes 

We're already planning our next one for the fall so the feedback you've given is great. Would love it if y'all could help steward/judge,etc. let me know when a Glubb meeting is going down.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #130
waddsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey is anybody entering the Triumph competition?

Kegged: Russian Breakfast Stout, Super Galena DIPA
Bottled: Dark Water RIS, 2010 Cider
2011 Gallons: 120 Gone but not forgotten: I Was a Teenage Ponger, High 5 IPA, Last Minute IPA, Skull Paint IPA, Dreadnaught clone, Calypso, Seconds Be Fast, Impaler, Double Impaler, Saint Sinister IPA, Gobbler IPA

Quick Reply