Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I know a welder in Fort Irwin, CA? No.

i dont know why i find this so funny but it is.
probably because i was thinking the same thing.
i know a kid who does welding on the side.
he might be down to help.

aside from that, i live in chinatown and would really like to step up my brewing game.
right now im limited to stovetop in my tiny new place.
but i do rock an 8g pot on 2 burners and its pretty nice.
especially in the winter.
if anyone could use a hand with either an outdoor all grain brew or any ind of bigger setup in return for some knowledge, id be glad to help.

joshbhs04 said:
Anyone know of some welders? I was going to build my rack out here at my buddies shop but ran out of time.

Hey Josh, I recognize you from somewhere... Shenanigan=usrower

Moved downtown recently (west washington square) and just brewed my first IPA in my kitchen. Old electric stoves can push out a lot of heat which surprised me. Don't need a propane burner. The ferm fridge was an essential though.

Hey Josh, I recognize you from somewhere... Shenanigan=usrower

Moved downtown recently (west washington square) and just brewed my first IPA in my kitchen. Old electric stoves can push out a lot of heat which surprised me. Don't need a propane burner. The ferm fridge was an essential though.

What up bro! Ill be moved on aug 16th finally, and I will be looking for a welder in Philly not Ft Irwin haha.:mug:

if you need a welder, pm me what you need.
i have a buddy near temples campus that would most likely help out.

Howdy folks. Located in Central Bucks (Warminster). Still looking around for any local brewers.

Heard a local homebrewer is opening up a small operation in Hatboro next month. Calling himself Crooked Eye Brewing.

Howdy folks. Located in Central Bucks (Warminster). Still looking around for any local brewers.

Heard a local homebrewer is opening up a small operation in Hatboro next month. Calling himself Crooked Eye Brewing.

That's a true story...

There are more than a few locals to you. I'm in a local club called GLUB. We meet in Chestnut Hill which isn't far from you. We have a meeting next thursday at Campbell's Place on Germantown at 7:30pm. More than welcome to join us for the evening if you want to meet some locals...

Thanks Gitmoe. Thursday is my oldest son's birthday. Maybe next time.

Right on. Happy Birthday to the soon slightly older oldest son...

We meet the last Thursday of every month. Same place, same time...

There are several other clubs in the area. I'm sure some of the guys and gals in those clubs will chime in. This thread is usually fairly active.

Sounds great. This Friday kicked off 6 weeks of celebrations here. Youngest Bday, Oldest Bday, Wife's Bday, My Bday, Anniversary.

I am ready for them all!
Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin in fridge now.
Monk in the Yunk bottle conditioning. Will be ready for wife's bday.
Fonthill Farmhouse Saison ready mid Sept
Simcoe IIPA ready for my birthday in late Sept

I have a couple of questions:

Where are the best places for single bottles/six packs north of town (Glenside/Abington)?

Does anyone in the same area wash yeast and have a good Belgian Strain I can get a sample of (Westmalle, Chimay, Chouffe)? I'll trade brews or some of my limited strain collection. I'm stocked up on everything but yeast and over beer budget but want to brew!

Where are the best places for single bottles/six packs north of town (Glenside/Abington)?

Does anyone in the same area wash yeast and have a good Belgian Strain I can get a sample of (Westmalle, Chimay, Chouffe)? I'll trade brews or some of my limited strain collection. I'm stocked up on everything but yeast and over beer budget but want to brew!

cold, head on over to Union Jack's Glenside location. you'll be paying takout prices though. Where in the area are you? a couple of us are in/outskirts of G-side. Otherwise head up 611 to Wegman's in Warminster.

I live in Jenkintown and work in Glenside. Thanks for the recommendations.

There are more than a few locals to you. I'm in a local club called GLUB. We meet in Chestnut Hill which isn't far from you. We have a meeting next thursday at Campbell's Place on Germantown at 7:30pm. More than welcome to join us for the evening if you want to meet some locals...

:mug:

SWMBO and I are going out that night. I would love to join a club, but I don't think I've got the time right now. Maybe I'll try and make it some time.

The Bottle Shop in Southampton has a great selection. Little pricey but aren't they all? I shop at Capone's in Norristown a lot since it's super close to my house.

Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin in fridge now.
Monk in the Yunk bottle conditioning. Will be ready for wife's bday.
Fonthill Farmhouse Saison ready mid Sept
Simcoe IIPA ready for my birthday in late Sept

I see you shop at Keystone... I work there full time as their graphic designer and a regular sales guy. I'm the big fat guy with a beard. That'll narrow it down...

I've been saying it for awhile now but I'm really going to try to make it to the GLUB meeting next week. Hopefully my pale ale will be ready. It's carbing now and I haven't sampled it yet.

Gitmoe, I've talked with you a few times. I was there last night 10 minutes before closing to get some supplies. Having trouble figuring out the saison. The SG was 1.012 9 days after brewing so I moved it to a carboy. Now it's still bubbling a little at a time so I'm letting it sit.

Gitmoe, I've talked with you a few times. I was there last night 10 minutes before closing to get some supplies. Having trouble figuring out the saison. The SG was 1.012 9 days after brewing so I moved it to a carboy. Now it's still bubbling a little at a time so I'm letting it sit.

This is why I always keep frozen vials of 3711 on hand, I use it to finish out Saisons all the time. Grab yourself a smack pack and pitch it into your Saison, it will dry out in a week.

This is why I always keep frozen vials of 3711 on hand, I use it to finish out Saisons all the time. Grab yourself a smack pack and pitch it into your Saison, it will dry out in a week.

That's pretty sound advice. A lot of saison strains will leave you hanging between 1.015-1.025 for no apparent reason. A repitch is always a great option. Since you're down to 1.012 I'd guess that will finish on it's own but it could take a while. I love saisons but I really hate dealing with saison yeast strains...

I just bottled my first saison and I used 3726 (a friend sent me a vial) and that took it from 1.056 to 1.002 without a pause. The gravity sample tasted great too so I'm glad I have three jars of that yeast in the fridge now!

A lot of our customers and members of GLUB have had great experience with the Lallemand Belle Saison dry yeast. I really wanted to brew with it this summer but I haven't had time to brew since maybe early June. I'm brewing next week no matter what, no excuses. My buddy who is a cellarman for EPIC Brewing Co out of Salt Lake City / Denver will be in town and we're gonna geek out and do a collab...

Gitmoe said:
I haven't had time to brew since maybe early June. I'm brewing next week no matter what, no excuses.

Just left Keystone. I haven't had any time to brew since my one year old was born, but with #2 showing up in Nov I am making time to brew this weekend. Got all my ingredients for a big RIS. it's been too long.

Just left Keystone. I haven't had any time to brew since my one year old was born, but with #2 showing up in Nov I am making time to brew this weekend. Got all my ingredients for a big RIS. it's been too long.

I haven't brewed since end of May. June saw too many things on every weekend, culminating with NHC at the end of the month. July was vacation and ungodly humidity. August has just been busy. But not sunday. Only question is what am I brewing, and can I get what I need in time. Wanna make a personal delivery Gitmoe? ;)

As a Pastoral intern, Sundays are work days and Saturdays are prime sermon prep time. But I get Mondays off so I can drag my brewing stuff all over the apartment while SWMBO's at work. :mug:

stop by keystone today, I might actually be brewing beer at work. It's rare, but it happens. We need to fill a firkin for a new thing we're doing... Who wants a New Zealand hopped saison from a cask?

I almost exclusively make farmhouse style ales. I don't get what all the fuss is over 3724/575 in re: under-attenuation. As long as your wort is highly fermentable and your primary temps are in the 80f-95f range.... you should be fine. I suspect most people try to make higher gravity Saisons ... 5.5%abv and up, which may account for the dreaded "stall". All of mine are usually finished in 3 weeks, maximum. I find 3711 to be bland and one-dimensional. just because it quickly dries an ale out to virtually nil is the reason I suspect most people are fond of it. I also suspect one could achieve similar results with champagne yeast.

I think a better choice than pitching 3711 into a stalled DuPont strain ferment, is to pitch Brett. waaaaaay more character.

on a related note I just tapped a keg of a farmhouse that was made with the new white labs, platinum saison blend. Very, very nice. From grain to glass in under three weeks.

BootsyFlanootsy said:
I almost exclusively make farmhouse style ales. I don't get what all the fuss is over 3724/575 in re: under-attenuation. As long as your wort is highly fermentable and your primary temps are in the 80f-95f range.... you should be fine. I suspect most people try to make higher gravity Saisons ... 5.5%abv and up, which may account for the dreaded "stall". All of mine are usually finished in 3 weeks, maximum. I find 3711 to be bland and one-dimensional. just because it quickly dries an ale out to virtually nil is the reason I suspect most people are fond of it. I also suspect one could achieve similar results with champagne yeast.

I think a better choice than pitching 3711 into a stalled DuPont strain ferment, is to pitch Brett. waaaaaay more character.

on a related note I just tapped a keg of a farmhouse that was made with the new white labs, platinum saison blend. Very, very nice. From grain to glass in under three weeks.

I brew mostly Famhouses to, and for years I didn't get why people had issues with DuPont stalling until this March. I brewed a half barrel simple Saison and split it into 3 better bottles, 565, 3711 and ECY08. 3711 finished at 1.002, ECY08 at 1.005 and 565 at 1.022.

Now I just pitched a healthy Brett slurry and funked it up but not everyone wants to play with Brett. So I think the better advice is to use 3711 to dry it out, champagne would work too I suppose. I kind of agree with 3711 being a bit bland, but your yeast character is already there in a stalled beer.

I just pitched Saison III into an Amber Saison last week, I'm happy to hear it's working out good.

I don't get what all the fuss is over 3724/575 in re: under-attenuation. As long as your wort is highly fermentable and your primary temps are in the 80f-95f range....

Most homebrewers who only brew one or two farmhouse beers a year would never think to ferment that warm. 70-75 is what most brewers ferment at regardless of style or strain. When I help customers wanting to make a farmhouse beer I suggest fermenting above 80 and they all look at me like I'm crazy. We ferment our farmhouse kits at keystone in our sunroom which stays about 85 all the time in the summer. Our Fonthill Farmhouse is probably my favorite recipe in our selection right now. Solid farmhouse base + New Zealand hops = win...

Most homebrewers who only brew one or two farmhouse beers a year would never think to ferment that warm. 70-75 is what most brewers ferment at regardless of style or strain. When I help customers wanting to make a farmhouse beer I suggest fermenting above 80 and they all look at me like I'm crazy. We ferment our farmhouse kits at keystone in our sunroom which stays about 85 all the time in the summer. Our Fonthill Farmhouse is probably my favorite recipe in our selection right now. Solid farmhouse base + New Zealand hops = win...

Which keystone do you work at? Im moving to Wynnewood on Wednesday and will be hitting up some stores to replenish my supplies.

Back