*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > HOPS-BOPS 2012 Results?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #151
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

My Alt scored a 40 (1st place table 2) and all others I entered were in the 30's. I agree it was a low scoring competition but I didn't taste any of the other beers. My wife always thought Nodding Head was a dingy place, maybe that has something to do with it, haha.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #152
kbone50
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy0209 View Post
Holy crap...first at table 4!!!!....with a pale ale that scored a 30. They must have low balled the hell out of everybody.
You took first with a score of 30? Something is off, as I took second, but my score was 38.5... oh well, I did it more for the feedback than expecting to place or anything. This was my first competition...

Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #153
jeremy0209
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbone50 View Post
You took first with a score of 30? Something is off, as I took second, but my score was 38.5... oh well, I did it more for the feedback than expecting to place or anything. This was my first competition...
maybe I got the wrong scoresheet like some other people on this forum. I don't see anything in the scoresheet linking it to my beer per se (my name, beer name, ingredients, etc.) I think I'm going to email them. I care more about feedback than placing and, if I have the wrong scoresheet, that isn't very good feedback....however, if I have the right scoresheet, and you have a higher score than me, then you obviously deserve to be ahead of me.

EDIT: I just emailed Nancy. Maybe she can tell me if I received the wrong scoresheet or if I was incorrectly awarded first place.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #154
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbone50 View Post
Placing is usually determined by a mini-BOS format. Your 38.5 might have been scored by a different set of judges than Jeremy's 30. Some judges score on a different curve than each other and the mini-BOS format for placing neutralizes those variances. In other words, score is not the determining factor in placing. My American Brown also scored higher than 30 and I took third place.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #155
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
Placing is usually determined by a mini-BOS format. Your 38.5 might have been scored by a different set of judges than Jeremy's 30. Some judges score on a different curve than each other and the mini-BOS format for placing neutralizes those variances. In other words, score is not the determining factor in placing. My American Brown also scored higher than 30 and I took third place.
Yup, that's how they do it. My buddy entered a Kölsch as a Kölsch and also a Blonde (in a different comp) and the Kölsch scored higher than the Blonde but the Blonde placed better.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #156
jeremy0209
Recipes 

Well, I haven't heard back yet, but I was able to track my entry number (I wrote it on the check) and they gave me the wrong scoresheet. Hopefully they send the right one soon.

Primary: :(
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Kegs: Mental Health Day English Bitter
Up Next: The Lawnmower
Puzzle Piece Brewery on Facebook...when I'm not too lazy to update it.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #157
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy0209 View Post
Well, I haven't heard back yet, but I was able to track my entry number (I wrote it on the check) and they gave me the wrong scoresheet. Hopefully they send the right one soon.
They change the numbers upon receiving them to assure anonymity.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #158
kbone50
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
Yup, that's how they do it. My buddy entered a Kölsch as a Kölsch and also a Blonde (in a different comp) and the Kölsch scored higher than the Blonde but the Blonde placed better.
Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Like I said, first competition for me...

Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #159
jeremy0209
Recipes 

I heard back from Nancy...here's the email:

Hi Jeremy,
Don't worry about scores v. placement. They don't always indicate the judges'
preference. As for your entry number not matching, they are changed when the beers are
registered.
Congratulations!
Nancy

I always thought the BJCP scoring system was there to eliminate preference of the judges (which is subjective). Oh well, I'll take it...horray for me and I'm sorry if you managed to score higher than me and finished lower. Quite honestly, I'd rather have the higher score because, to me, that means I'm making better beer....beer that's close to style and has fewer technical flaws. This is my second first place and my third placement overall in three different comps. It's also the third lowest score I've ever had. Go figure.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #160
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 79

the reason sometimes a lower scored beer will take the table is because the person that entered the beer didn't necessarily enter it in the correct category. So while the beer was a sub average helles bock, it would have been an amazing maibock, or something similar. So yeah, it didn't score well in the category it was entered in, but was a damn good beer and should have taken the table.

At least that's my understanding of how that works anyway.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Quick Reply