New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > HOPS-BOPS 2012 Results?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #91
joshs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just heard back from them that they sent the wrong sheets to me. They will be sending the correct forms tonight. They were very responsive when I alerted them of the error so I have high expectations that they will correct this tonight.

-Josh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #92
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonami View Post
Holy hell, that's about a pound of hops in that IPA ( I know it's a double batch, but still). You must be a very rich man

Thou Shalt Not Bring It Weak....

Old 10-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #93
crbrown25
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Got my sheets back. Entered a pumpkin ale in 21A & got a 31 & 29. I'm feeling pretty good about it considering it's my 1st competition entry. Very interesting to get feedback from someone who isn't my mom, who tells me every beer i brew is the best beer she's ever had. She's a liar but i love her. I've got to say that i think the judges comments are spot on. I agree with pretty much everything they wrote.

Fermenting:
On Tap: Nothing
Bottled: East Riding of Yorkshire Northern English Brown Ale, Brown House Honey Porter, EdWort's Apfelwein, 1876 IPA
soonami Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #94
jeremy0209
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrown25 View Post
She's a liar but i love her.
hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #95
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy0209 View Post
30 on my Cascade Pale Ale....the one judge wrote "good recipe" and "well made" and he gave me a 28 (he also said he detected plastic and oxidation). The other judge said "not enough hop flavor" (he said no off aromas or flavors) and he gave me a 32. Oh well, still better than BMC. Too bad I only have 15 bottles left.
Don't take these people seriously.

I've been brewing for 4 years and have several medals. They didn't give any of my beers above a 30. Their commentary made no sense. They said both my English mild and pumpkin ale, both mashed at 154 and fermented with WLP 002, were "too dry." Numerous other comments made no sense either.

This gave me flashbacks of when I attended a brew club meeting and everyone there seemed to live for putting other people down. It really seemed like these judges were trying as hard as they could to give low scores. One comment on my mild was "a very boring beer."

I think the lesson here is never enter this comp again.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #96
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Got my score sheets last night to, and the correct ones to boot. One beer I entered is a Saison that Ive been tweaking the recipe on and I want to dial it in so I entered it to get an idea of what I should be doing differently and I think it helped alot. The judges reaffirmed some of the same things I was thinking so I'm glad I was on the right track, and its scored a 35.5 as well so not bad for a working recipe.

The other beer I entered was the exact beer I entered last year and won a gold medal with, same batch only a year later. I was digging in my beer fridge and found 3 counterpressure filled bottles of my Blond that scored a 42 last year. I cracked one opened and it was super oxidized, and kind of solventy, drinkable but not enjoyable. Maybe it wasnt the nicest thing to do the judges but I entered it to see if I was picking up on some of the same off flavors due to the age as they did and they certainly did and then some, scoring a 22. So I got what I wanted out of this comp

Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #97
soonami
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Don't take these people seriously.

I've been brewing for 4 years and have several medals. They didn't give any of my beers above a 30. Their commentary made no sense. They said both my English mild and pumpkin ale, both mashed at 154 and fermented with WLP 002, were "too dry." Numerous other comments made no sense either.

This gave me flashbacks of when I attended a brew club meeting and everyone there seemed to live for putting other people down. It really seemed like these judges were trying as hard as they could to give low scores. One comment on my mild was "a very boring beer."

I think the lesson here is never enter this comp again.
I think the qualifications of the judges matter too. Dave Houseman and Pete Garofalo were there judging (both Grand Masters)-- those two guys were contributors in the first study guide and the style descriptions so I would trust their opinions. Newbie judges without any BJCP credentials? Maybe not as much.

Also, since I was stewarding, I remember certain categories were judged the Friday night and on Saturday in the morning session and which were judged later, so I think the quality of the palettes and comments might have dropped off a bit during the course of the day as people had more to drink

Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #98
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
One comment on my mild was "a very boring beer."
Isn't a mild by definition a boring beer? haha.
BJCP-
Quote:
A light-flavored, malt-accented beer that is readily suited to drinking in quantity.
That stuff drives me nuts. I understand they are just doing their best, but some of this stuff gets a little frustrating.
My IPA comments from judge on aroma-
Quote:
Pronounced citrusy/resiny hop character dominates the aroma, but some malt is also present ----- 8/12
From BJCP-
Quote:
Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived from American hops. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background, but should be at a lower level than in English examples. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. Some alcohol may be noted.

So, where the hell did I lose 4 points? Looks like I pretty much nailed the aroma according to the comments.
Comments from one judge on mouthfeel-
Quote:
A little thin
Comments from the other judge on mouthfeel-
Quote:
Good carbonation, but the residual malt from underattenuation creates a fairly heavy beer.

The beer had an FG of 1.010. How much more attenuated do they want it to be?
I got dinged on having some grassy notes too.

BJCP-
Quote:
Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required.
Like I said, everyone is a volunteer and is just doing the best they can, but when they write things on the scoresheet that directly contradict the style guidelines, how the hell is someone supposed to craft a beer to style? You shoot to hit the style and the judges don't even seem to read the guidelines when judging the style.

Flavor comment from a well known and experienced judge who will remain nameless-
Quote:
Grassy notes, Hops, hops, hops, seems underattenuated, fuller ferment might help dry out and bring hops to balance.
If he tasted "hops, hops, and hops" then why is he dinging me for not bringing out the hops more?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #99
jeremy0209
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
So, where the hell did I lose 4 points?:
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. My numbers are: Aroma-7/12, Appearance-3/3, Flavor-13/20, Mouthfeel-5/5, and, yet, the overall impression was only 4/10. WTF? Based on the other numbers, I would think it should be at least 6/10.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #100
Dukeman9988
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy0209
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. My numbers are: Aroma-7/12, Appearance-3/3, Flavor-13/20, Mouthfeel-5/5, and, yet, the overall impression was only 4/10. WTF? Based on the other numbers, I would think it should be at least 6/10.
I literally had the same except thing except I got a 3/10 for overal on my bitter. Haha

Quick Reply