Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > General Lafayette Inn & Brewery (PA)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #11
SixFoFalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree that the General isn't "all that" by any means, but I'd still say it's above average and worth visiting rather than walking into a random bar-restaurant if you aren't familiar with the area. The level of cigarette smoke in the place is ludicrous... it's practically criminal if you are supposed to be serving good food and drinks. But they are still doing good things compared to the average pub or restaurant. I thought the porter was very good and the bock was nice (although that's not a style I'm ever truly wild about) and the few other beers I sampled were at least OK.

I'm right between the Manayunk Brewing Company and the General. Unlike the General, which I've only visited once, I know the Manayunk Brewing Co. inside and out (and I've probably seen too much inside those walls as far as most people are concerned.) I don't know if I'll ever respect the brewing side of the house, after some of the things I've seen and tasted there. The food is usually good, though, and the service is usually pretty good when they aren't stealing your money. Depending on the night, the band, and the level of Main Line and/or frat boy activity, it can be either a great place to hang out or a nightmare.

Thanks for the review, RoaringBrewer. From the other reviews I've read on-line, it seems that the weekend evenings can be a bit "off" in terms of food quality, crowds, and service. Did you have any trouble with very slow service? That seemed to be a common complaint in many of the reviews I read. Was there a band?

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

low hopped mediocre beers? wicked lame.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Wow, thanks for the review. Sounds like I won't be making the trip out there after all...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
Cauldron7
Recipes 

bummer that they are playing the hop shortage games. From the people i haave talked to at other local brew pubs around Philly, they all seemed to be well contracted on advanced hop orders and dont feat they will be effected by the shortage. I wonder why the General doesnt think ahead like that?
Thanks for the review!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

They "should" have contracts already in place...Lots of other area breweries seem to be adapting with out too much pain. Who knows...

Shame that the beer just didn't stand up. The ones that I have had elsewhere over the past year were mighty tasty.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #16
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been there a few times. Never had to deal with a crowded Saturday night crowd though.

I recently purchased tickets to their WinterFest though. Feb 16th, noon to 3:30. I think they're having something like 12-14 local breweries there. $45 for food and beer. There's also an additional "brewer's only" session afterwards until 6 pm for $20 or $25. The girl I spoke with said they'll probably have some vertical tastings and just brewer's talking in general. I'll be going to the first session at least. I usually have a little too much fun at events like this and the vertical tasting might be lost on my pallate at that time.

Anyway, I'm in Roxborough. If anyone in the neighborhood wants to swap some beers, I'm game.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #17
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo99
I've been there a few times. Never had to deal with a crowded Saturday night crowd though.

I recently purchased tickets to their WinterFest though. Feb 16th, noon to 3:30. I think they're having something like 12-14 local breweries there. $45 for food and beer. There's also an additional "brewer's only" session afterwards until 6 pm for $20 or $25. The girl I spoke with said they'll probably have some vertical tastings and just brewer's talking in general. I'll be going to the first session at least. I usually have a little too much fun at events like this and the vertical tasting might be lost on my pallate at that time.

Anyway, I'm in Roxborough. If anyone in the neighborhood wants to swap some beers, I'm game.
Awesome! I just marked my calendar for that event. The last local beer event I went to was the "Buy Fresh, Buy Local" fest at the Yards brewery in Kensington this summer. I was a newb to beer tasting events then... this time I will bring a notepad.

I'm in Roxy, too. (Right on Henry Ave.) I'm up for a beer swap. I don't have anything in bottles at the moment though, and I'm literally right in the process of swapping out the chest freezer I ruined last week for a new one that I picked up this morning, so my kegs are warm for the time being.

As far as the "hops game" goes... I think we all have to remember that many of "us" are real connoisseurs of beer, but probably better than 80% of the cash that comes into the average brew-pub from sales of their house beers comes from people who are just into the novelty of in-house brewing, and/or just like the place regardless of what's on tap. If the cost of hops goes up such that it increases your brewing costs by more than 10% or so, how are you going to re-coup that cost? Jack up the cost of a pint? That won't fly with the masses, so sales would dip (people would drink something else, or just go somewhere else.) But the masses will probably be OK with just drinking some other styles that don't require an expensive dose of hops... many of them wouldn't really know the difference.

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon

Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Anyone else going to Winterfest this Saturday? There are many great breweries on that list.

Quick Reply