Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > General Lafayette Inn & Brewery (PA)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
SixFoFalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default General Lafayette Inn & Brewery (PA)

Anyone else been to the General Lafayette Inn & Brewery in Lafayette Hill, PA? It's a nice very historic (think revolutionary war) B&B that brews and serves some tasty beers.

I recently went there and I think it was a good find. I got to watch one of the brewers in action on one of the big mash tuns while I sampled a nice porter. The food and atmosphere weren't bad either. I only had 2 complaints--the cigarette smoke in the bar area (I'm spoiled living in Philly where smoking is banned in most bars, but the General is just a few miles outside the city limits) and then there was the guy who came out to set a fire in the fireplace, and then filled the restaurant with smoke because he didn't open the flue, and then he decided to fix that by opening the door and letting the 20° air blow in and freeze out everyone in the dining room every time the wind changed direction.

Anyway, the place has been around forever and I'm sure someone else here has at least stopped in for a drink or a bite to eat, and I'm curious what other people think of the place. I definitely plan on stopping in for a few more pints in the future.

http://www.generallafayetteinn.com/

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Haven't been there yet, but going there this weekend. The SWMBO and I are going to Chesnut Hill area for the weekend - spa, melting pot, etc. for Saturday... Planning to hit the Lafayette later in the evening with another couple to have a few pints...

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Default Iron Hill Brewery

General Lafayette is about an hour from my house. Sounds like a good day trip. Thanks for the review.

SWMBO and I will be heading to Newark DE this weekend. There's an Iron Hill Brewery there. Anyone have any experience with them?

Billy-Klubb

Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I haven't been there yet but I may in about 3 weeks. I have a friend about 20 minutes outside that area and he highly recommends it. I'll probably go there for my birthday dinner and then stay overnight...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldur
General Lafayette is about an hour from my house. Sounds like a good day trip. Thanks for the review.

SWMBO and I will be heading to Newark DE this weekend. There's an Iron Hill Brewery there. Anyone have any experience with them?
Iron Hill is a "chain" brewery in the PA/DE area. It's not bad at all, but as you can imagine, most of the brews are kind of 'mainstream'. I went to the Lancaster, PA location recently and there were no beers I would consider 'outstanding', but 3 or so of the 8 they offered were pretty solid and drinkable...

Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Haven't been to the General but I have had their beer on tap at another location...excellent stuff!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Plans are finalized... I'll be there around 930PM on Saturday evening.

If any of y'all come out that evening, post up on here and I'll try to check the iPhone before I go... If not, look for a review to be posted at some point Sunday or Monday.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringBrewer
Plans are finalized... I'll be there around 930PM on Saturday evening.

If any of y'all come out that evening, post up on here and I'll try to check the iPhone before I go... If not, look for a review to be posted at some point Sunday or Monday.

What did ya think?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Cauldron7
Recipes 

I love the General, I havnt been there in quite a while, this is making me want to go back! Let us know what you thought of your visit!

I live halfway between two Iron Hill locations (both West Chester and Media locations are within a 10 minute drive.) I frequent both of them, because of the proximity. Generally speaking Media location tends to have more "seasonal" or selections that arnt part of the standard 6-8 beer they always have on tap. I was at the West Chester Location this past weekend, and they just realeased a Barleywine that was wonderful. THe hoppiest barlywine i ever had, i am sure i will be back for another before the weeks end. But if you are in the area, and havnt yet been, i suggest visiting the Victory Brewery. it aint a pretty pub, but they have my favorite locally brewed beers.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 AM   #10
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I thought the Lafayette was just kind of "Ok"... Maybe on the slightly upper-side of "Ok", but definitely not great.

The outside of the place looks much more magnificant on the webpage - its kind of ratty looking in person, but I guess thats what you get for a building from the 1700s.

The interior dining areas appear quite nice and the bar area is half decent, but the pool and other areas just give it kind of a ratty-bar kind of feel on a Saturday night. I got carded at the door as if it was some kind of club, it was smoky, etc. Not bad, but just not what I expected.

The beers - they were so, so too IMO. The mild on cask and the porter on cask were great beers. Their blonde was pretty solid for a blonde IMO too. The pale ale - where are the hops? In fact, in all of their beers, where are the hops? No IPA in site... I even read on one of the beer descriptions, "due to the hop shortage we are brewing low hopped beers - try our big malty bock" or something to that effect. It shows in all their beers IMO. Suck it up and brew something with hop flavor! The raspberry mead ale - I was expecting wonderful things - was, blah... I don't know. I enjoyed my SNPA I got on draft at the melting pot beforehand more than any of the Lafayette beers other than maybe the cask beers.

Not a bad place and glad I visited, but I'd take the 10 mile or so drive over to the Manayunk Brewpub before going back to the Lafayette - only hit that place in the early evening though. Reminds me of a "club" on weekend evenings. Too loud, crowded, etc. to enjoy their good brews.

Quick Reply