The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > Buzz off competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #21
Beernewb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Hi vtbiscuit,

First and foremost thanks for the great communication re:the event.

second, I dropped my beers off at Home Sweet Homebrew Saturday. George told me it would be cellared, so i explained to him that it was just bottled a few days ago and needed ambient temps. he stated that all beers were to be treated equally....I understand that, but this beer needs some ambient temps bc it's slow to carb, and that's what i assumed was going to happen until a few days before the event. I moved mine from my basement to my living room and they are carb'ing nicely now, but i fear that won't be the case if the ones i gave George are cellared until the contest.

lastly, i was just wondering when the initial judging was happening compared to the finals on 6/2...every day is important to me in my pursuit of carbonation..lol...

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #22
vtbiscuit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernewb View Post
Hi vtbiscuit,

First and foremost thanks for the great communication re:the event.

second, I dropped my beers off at Home Sweet Homebrew Saturday. George told me it would be cellared, so i explained to him that it was just bottled a few days ago and needed ambient temps. he stated that all beers were to be treated equally....I understand that, but this beer needs some ambient temps bc it's slow to carb, and that's what i assumed was going to happen until a few days before the event. I moved mine from my basement to my living room and they are carb'ing nicely now, but i fear that won't be the case if the ones i gave George are cellared until the contest.

lastly, i was just wondering when the initial judging was happening compared to the finals on 6/2...every day is important to me in my pursuit of carbonation..lol...

thanks.
All beer will be treated equally. I'll have to check with the lead coordinator, but I believe they are all stored at room temp until about 3 days before the event when they are all place into a walk-in cooler. Some categories will be judged Friday evening (6/1) and the rest on 6/2. We have to have some judging Friday night due to the number of entries. Essentially it's one big event (all category and best of show judging are done Friday/Saturday).

Good luck, and I hope your beers carbonation kicks in!

Dave
Spaceman Brewing
Facebook | Twitter | BUZZ Homebrew Club

Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Not sure yet if I'll make it down or not. If you see an older guy with shoulder length gray hair in a barrette, that will be me (I'm growing my hair out to donate)

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #24
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Ok. No news to anyone reading my posts, but I'm an idiot. Showed up at Iron Hill thinking I might meet Phil or some other homebrewers. Hmmm . . . looks pretty quiet. Ooops! Wrong Iron Hill. Oh well. The IIPA was excellent. One Belgian that was not so good, but another that was. Crab cake, yum. And the chocolate thing that my wife ordered for desert paired nice with the Wee Heavy.

So, now I'm a drunk and full idiot.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Ok. No news to anyone reading my posts, but I'm an idiot. Showed up at Iron Hill thinking I might meet Phil or some other homebrewers. Hmmm . . . looks pretty quiet. Ooops! Wrong Iron Hill. Oh well. The IIPA was excellent. One Belgian that was not so good, but another that was. Crab cake, yum. And the chocolate thing that my wife ordered for desert paired nice with the Wee Heavy.

lol. I'm sorry, that made me crack up. Which Iron Hill did you go to?

My wife and I, along with some friends, were drinking in the city at various beer bars. Hit up Farmer's Cabinet for the Mikkeler event. Some damn tasty beers. Just checked the website, has not been updated yet.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

We went to the Iron Hill in North Wales. Dropped competition beer off at Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville a couple of weeks ago. That's not too far from North Wales, so I just assumed it was the place.

(I know. Assume = A$$ of you and me.)

Nothing entered that I felt good about. Just looking for feedback, but was looking forward to seeing some homebrewers. Wife puts on a good face, but I know she gets bored of my beer talk. She was a lot happier with just the two of us and the quiet evening we had.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

next time hit the one in Chestnut Hil (just down 309 a bit from where you were). Paul has some excellent beers on tap there!

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 06-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The results are posted. There was almost 600 entries!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #29
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I saw! Took 2nd in Dark Lagers! w00t!!

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post

That's too bad. I was looking forward to meeting you. My wife bailed on me but a buddy said he'd join me so we showed up as they were finishing up the judging. We ended up sitting at the bar and had the sampler and some dinner (slow service). We finally made it back to the back of the bar where they already announcing the winners. We didn't really have much chance to talk to anybody. We didn't have time to hang afterwards due to the 3 hr drive home.

I did walk away with 1st place in the specialty beer category (out of 48 entries in that cat.) for my Light IPA (4.5% ABV) That was a bit of a surprise, based on how it tasted when I bottled it (from the keg). I was lucky and the beer went through a "change" just a couple days ago. The hops finally came together in harmony - just in time.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply