The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Mississippi HomeBrew Forum > What Have the Mississippi Homebrewers Been Up Too?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
DrewBrew08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What Have the Mississippi Homebrewers Been Up Too?

Just wondering what you guy have been doing? How you been? What have you been brewing lately or done for beer?

Brewed 2 batches yesterday, Belgian Triple and a Smooth Nut Brown. First time to brew 2 batches in a day and it was exhausting. Needed to be done so I called in sick to work. (Yes, I'm that committed.)

Hope all is well you guys!

Cheers!
Drew

Primary # 1: Air
Primary # 2: Air
Primary # 3: Air

Bottled: Pale Ale Prince #11, Blueberry Muffin Top #12, Belgian Tripel #13, Smooth Nut Brown #14, Boston Red Ale #16, Belgian Dubbel #18

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
DrewBrew08
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I hate you guys I feel no love

Bottled: Pale Ale Prince #11, Blueberry Muffin Top #12, Belgian Tripel #13, Smooth Nut Brown #14, Boston Red Ale #16, Belgian Dubbel #18

Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBrew08 View Post
I hate you guys I feel no love
Haha, sorry Drew. I've been slacking on getting on HBT lately.

I've been doing pretty well. Now that I'm done with school, I have a lot more time for brewing. I've been brewing a good bit here lately. My most recent brews have been a holiday spiced english brown ale with cinnamon and nutmeg, an american stout, imperial porter, APA, berliner weisse, parti-gyle imperial porter/brown porter.

I'm brewing up a pseudo-Lambic today or tomorrow. I'm not going to use bugs. I'm just going to use the grains and hops recommended in Brewing Classic Styles. I'm going to ferment with the Euro ale yeast. I'll secondary with 6 lbs of raspberries. I'll add lactic acid to taste when I keg it.

I'm glad you started a thread like this. I was thinking about starting one myself with the hopes of being more active on HBT.

Cheers,
-Ron

Ontap: Hard Cider
Primary: IIPA, All-Tythos IPA
On Deck: Munich Dunkel, Classic Rauch, Breakfast Porter, American Stout

Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
DrewBrew08
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybis

Haha, sorry Drew. I've been slacking on getting on HBT lately.

I've been doing pretty well. Now that I'm done with school, I have a lot more time for brewing. I've been brewing a good bit here lately. My most recent brews have been a holiday spiced english brown ale with cinnamon and nutmeg, an american stout, imperial porter, APA, berliner weisse, parti-gyle imperial porter/brown porter.

I'm brewing up a pseudo-Lambic today or tomorrow. I'm not going to use bugs. I'm just going to use the grains and hops recommended in Brewing Classic Styles. I'm going to ferment with the Euro ale yeast. I'll secondary with 6 lbs of raspberries. I'll add lactic acid to taste when I keg it.

I'm glad you started a thread like this. I was thinking about starting one myself with the hopes of being more active on HBT.

Cheers,
-Ron
Good to here Ron! Wish the Mississippi thread was more active than this. Great to hear you are still kickin' it up in Columbus!

I suckered a friend of mine into brewing down here in Brandon. His first batch turned out swell and was happy for him.

I still consider myself new but help in anyway I can. Recently brewed my first partial which is fermenting at the moment. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Cheers to you and hope all is well!

Drew

Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBrew08 View Post
Good to here Ron! Wish the Mississippi thread was more active than this. Great to hear you are still kickin' it up in Columbus!

I suckered a friend of mine into brewing down here in Brandon. His first batch turned out swell and was happy for him.

I still consider myself new but help in anyway I can. Recently brewed my first partial which is fermenting at the moment. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Cheers to you and hope all is well!

Drew
If it was a bit more active, I might hop on here more often.

Are you a member of HBAMM?

What beer did you make with your partial?

Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
DrewBrew08
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybis View Post
If it was a bit more active, I might hop on here more often.

Are you a member of HBAMM?

What beer did you make with your partial?
No, I'm not a part of any club at the moment. Partial was a Red Ale. Readings and everything came out as expected. Bottled it up and it is conditioning as we speak. I'm starting to get more beer than I have room for, but that isnt a bad thing

Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Gus_13
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'll participate in the thread!

I'm the buddy DrewBrew08 got into brewing. Brewed my second brew yesterday. It's a Belgian Saison from extract. I added 3.3lbs of Bavarian Wheat malt to the boil. I pitched the Belgian yeast and added Brett Lambicus as well. Next weekend I'm going to add in WL Sour Mix #1 and that will be the last I look at it for about 6 months until I feed the yeast and bugs again.

Next I'm going to brew an IPA to have something to drink while I ponder this Belgian Dark Strong Ale.

Untappd: Gus_13
Twitter: @aaddkison

Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Gus_13
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Daybis, I noticed you have done a couple Berliner Weiss brews. How long is fermentation process on those? I'm wanting to do a couple more brews and have a couple going at a time. My Funky Cold Medina will be in the closet for a year. I like tart styles and Berliner Weiss has been on my radar.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Gus_13
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have Punishment mashing away right now. I'm pumped for this brew. Should be a good one. I'll let this one go and then change up the recipe a bit to see what I like.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus_13 View Post
Daybis, I noticed you have done a couple Berliner Weiss brews. How long is fermentation process on those? I'm wanting to do a couple more brews and have a couple going at a time. My Funky Cold Medina will be in the closet for a year. I like tart styles and Berliner Weiss has been on my radar.
Gus, Sorry for the late reply. I have done a total of three batches. My first one stayed in primary for 6 months. It didn't get sour at all, but it had the aroma of a sour beer. I added 2 oz (88% solution) lactic acid when I kegged it. It turned out great. Some of my brewing buddies loved it.

My second one is still in the primary, it's been there for over a year. It's slightly more sour than my first batch and it has a very distinctive sour beer aroma. With the first to batches, I did not oxygenate my beer as well as I probably should have. I believe the lower levels of oxygen hampered the amount of sourness. I'll probably be kegging this one in the very near future and adding lactic acid to this one as well.

My third batch has been in the primary for 4 months. I oxygenated the hell out of it. I haven't tasted it yet. I have it hidden in closet. I plan on checking on it sometime this summer.

I plan on doing another one in the very near future, but I plan on fermenting it in a plastic bucket. Since plastic is a lot more oxygen permeable than my glass carboys, I'm hoping that will make the beers a lot more tart without the addition of lactic acid.

Quick Reply