Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Mississippi HomeBrew Forum > Mississippi Roll Call

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #41
captainkirk83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just stumbled accross this thread while searching for hops to grow in the state. Cascade and ????

This is me checking in from Madison.

Also there is a new home brew store in Jackson. Great to be able to buy local rather than online.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #42
Gus_13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkirk83 View Post
Just stumbled accross this thread while searching for hops to grow in the state. Cascade and ????

This is me checking in from Madison.

Also there is a new home brew store in Jackson. Great to be able to buy local rather than online.
Welcome! Brewhaha is a great LHBS. If they don't have it they will order it. Mac and Nick know their stuff too. If you have any questions of what you need or about brewing, they usually know the answer. Nick helped me come up with my first recipe for Punishment. I'm brewing it today and will tweak it for the next time.

Welcome! And let us know what you grow! I'm interested to see what will grow here in the state.
Bottled/Conditioning: BDSA #3 - Farmhouse Saison with Brett Brux and JP Dregs
Secondary: BDSA Rum Barrel Aged - Wild Ale - Sour Saison with Peaches - Year 1 Lambic - Berliner Weisse
Primary: *Empty for now*
On Deck: Saison Blanc - Oud Bruin - House Sour for Blending - Biere de Miel
Untappd: Gus_13
Twitter: @aaddkison

Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #43
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus_13 View Post

Welcome! Brewhaha is a great LHBS. If they don't have it they will order it. Mac and Nick know their stuff too. If you have any questions of what you need or about brewing, they usually know the answer. Nick helped me come up with my first recipe for Punishment. I'm brewing it today and will tweak it for the next time.

Welcome! And let us know what you grow! I'm interested to see what will grow here in the state.
Wait! what? There is a brew store in Jackson? Where?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #44
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodskreet View Post
Wait! what? There is a brew store in Jackson? Where?
BrewHaHa opened a few days before Christmas. They're located in (iirc) LeFleur's Gallary Shopping Center off of the north bound (east side of I-55) frontage road. It's located between Northside drive and the Krogers/Books a Million shopping center. The store isn't visible from the road it's around toward the rear of the shopping center, NOT hard to find. Mac Rusling is the owner and is a genuinely warm person, he's good people!

Contact Info:
https://www.facebook.com/BrewhahaSupply
4800 I-55 N, Suite 17A
Jackson, Mississippi 39206
Phone (601) 362-0201
Email mac@brewhahasupply.com
Website http://www.brewhahasupply.com (website isn't operational yet)

For the record their prices are very competitive. Frankly when it comes to grains & other raw materials they're as good a buy as anyone (I paid $1.50 per lb for european pilsner malt with 2-row costing less than that). Perhaps most importantly they'll be happy to package up anything you want and ship it too you. May I suggest giving them a try as if we want the convenience of a local homebrew store we need to support them.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #45
delta
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's in Lefleur's Gallery. Take the Northside Drive exit on I-55 (exit 100) and go north on the frontage road about a half mile, Lefleur's is on the right....the store is next to Weight Watchers.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #46
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Gus, what is 'Punishment'? Sounds like an IPA, or marriage therapy!

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but growing hops in MS can be tough. I've grown them at 3 different locations, multiple varieties, and have parents who owned a wholesale nursery so I basically had professional advice in growing them. I say all that to say that in full sun your chances are VERY slim. My father, who's forgotten more about horticulture than I'll ever know, couldn't get them to grow on the hillside behind his house even though we dug out holes and put in potting/top soil and organic matter. Rather than growing length and climbing the one's that did seem to grow a little would spread out along the ground. At my place here in Attala Co they just didn't want to do well. When I first planted them they did okay the first year, but went downhill from there.

However at my old house in Clinton I had a relatively small back yard which contained 5 huge oaks and quite the canopy. I planted 6 hills, built a nice 14' high trellis in an area that got about 6-8 hours of direct sun per day but the rest was shaded and sparse sunlight through the leaf canopy. My hops FLOURISHED, did amazingly well! Given the fact that the soil was treated similarly at all 3 locations my father & I deduced that in order to grow hops properly in MS it's best if you plant them where they get some solid shade for much of the day.

That's the best advice I have for growing hops and the only other thing I have to add is avoid planting them under pine trees or in acidic soil as they hate acid/love alkaline soil. Also they love water.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #47
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Freaking awesome! Thanks for the info y'all

Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #48
thewhoner
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Yea, the guys at Brewhaha are great!

I really enjoy their store. I wish they had a wider selection of malts, but I think they're doing it right by not stocking everything under the sun- yet. Besides, what they don't have, they'll get for you.

I haven't bought anything from anywhere else since they've opened. I'll be damned if I shop somewhere else knowing that this is the first & only store in Mississippi. The more we support them, the better their selection will become.

I can't stress it enough, you need to stop in. We need to help them grow so homebrewing grows in MS as well.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #49
delta
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhoner View Post
only store in Mississippi
Delta Brewing Supply in Greenville is open too.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #50
thewhoner
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Delta Brewing Supply in Greenville is open too.
I retract that statement! I was unaware

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS