Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Mississippi HomeBrew Forum > Growing hops in Mississippi.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
maf58d
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Growing hops in Mississippi.

Anyone else growing hops in state, and if so, what are you're results with what types. I have had better than expected results on first year cascade and nugget. would like to hear if anyone is having any luck with other varieties such as willamette or sterling or whatever. ---- Mark F. ----

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mark, sorry for such a late reply. I haven't been on HBT in a long time.

I've grown hops last year and this year. I've grown cascade, nugget, and EKG. My cascade and nugget produced cones last year, but no more than maybe a 1/2 - 1/2 oz once dried. However, this year was an utter failure. My hops came up pretty early this spring, shot up, and spread out pretty quickly. However, I got no cones this year. My hops are in large planters. I blame the heat and my hops being in planters for the lack of cones this year. My EKG didn't produce cones this year or last year. I think it's just too warm this far south for that variety in general. I also use a drip irrigation system on my hosp on a timer, so I know they got plenty of water.

Ontap: Hard Cider
Primary: IIPA, All-Tythos IPA
On Deck: Munich Dunkel, Classic Rauch, Breakfast Porter, American Stout

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
maf58d
Recipes 

Hey Ron, great to hear from you. I picked the last of my hops yesterday to bring my total to 15 ounces of cascade and 3 ounces of nugget dried, from 2 each of each risome. If I have no problems with the ground being too wet and getting some root rot, I hope to have more than I can use next year. I enjoy gardening and may dote on my plants more than most, but I don't know if I was that good at growing my hops or just lucky. I planted them in plastic barrels that I cut in half and used the top half with the top also cut out to make it open on both ends, and put them in the ground two thirds with the soil mixed heavily with compost and some sand to loosen my fairly heavy clay soil. When we hit the hot and dry stretch of summer, I watered them one gallon per plant every day or every other day going by how dry the top inch of soil felt and gave them a half dose of miracle grow twice a week. I also sprayed them for aphids after the almost wiped out one of the nugget bines. I took some pictures of them and will see if I can figure out how to post them on here soon. I think your hops are maybe just a small adjustment away from producing. Hope to hear back from you soon. ----Mark F.----

Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
maf58d
Recipes 

Ok,finally took some time,[actually a whole lot of time,figuring out how to get these pictures from my camera to a file I could transfer to here was a long go],to post some pictures of my hops that I took in late august.And to Ron, are you going to try taking yours from the planters into the ground? --- Mark F. --- kegged: bavarian dunkel, munich lager, vienna lager, brown ale, rye ale, golden cascade lager primary: vienna lager, blonde ale

hops-001.jpg   hops-002.jpg   hops-003.jpg   hops-004.jpg   hops-005.jpg  

Old 11-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Awesome! I am growing nugget in South Louisiana. Those look fantastic.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
maf58d
Recipes 

dcarter, how did yours do this year? ---Mark F.---

Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf58d View Post
dcarter, how did yours do this year? ---Mark F.---
They did great! As this is the first year, I wasn't really expecting much other than bine growth and root development but they probably produced about half of a 5 gallon bucket in hops. I didn't harvest this year since that would only yield about .75 oz of dry hops, but I was very pleased with the growth. Next year should be great.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 12-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Daybis
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf58d View Post
Ok,finally took some time,[actually a whole lot of time,figuring out how to get these pictures from my camera to a file I could transfer to here was a long go],to post some pictures of my hops that I took in late august.And to Ron, are you going to try taking yours from the planters into the ground? --- Mark F. --- kegged: bavarian dunkel, munich lager, vienna lager, brown ale, rye ale, golden cascade lager primary: vienna lager, blonde ale
Mark, Those look great! Since you seemed to have no problem this year, I'm curious what my major malfunction was this year. I'm guessing it had to do with mine being in planters. I thought about putting mine in the ground, but I have three dogs. One of them will eat just about anything, so I've been super paranoid about putting them in the ground. I've heard (I could be wrong) that once they are planted they are damn near impossible to get rid of since they spread and grow like weeds and it's difficult to get rid of all of the roots. I do have a spot on the south side of my house that's not part of the fenced in back yard I could plant them.

Ontap: Hard Cider
Primary: IIPA, All-Tythos IPA
On Deck: Munich Dunkel, Classic Rauch, Breakfast Porter, American Stout

Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
maf58d
Recipes 

Ron, if you made a small chicken wire, or similar fence around your plants, your dogs won't be interested enough to bother them,[ unless someone dumps bacon grease or such on your plants!]. I also think that maybe in Wisconsin, they might have hops growing like weeds. I don't think the same applies for Mississippi, I think just mowing around them is more than adequate. > Not trying to rag you, just trying to help you decide to stick them in the ground.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #10
maf58d
Recipes 

dcarter, I'm thinking half a 5 gallon bucket should have dried to at least 4 ounces! You could have brewed up something hoppy happy with that!!

Quick Reply