Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Alabama HomeBrew Forum > Any homebrewers in Alabama ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #41
gimmejava
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Huntsville Alabama here. If it were legal, I'd probably have a Janet's Brown Ale that I brewed and friends that love me for it. I'd also have a Belgian Dubble and seriously be thinking about brewing up a batch of Arrogant Bastard clone since the first one I would have brewed would have been so awesome. I can only imagine how satisfying it must be to enjoy AG brewing.....if only it were legal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #42
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejava View Post
Huntsville Alabama here. If it were legal, I'd probably have a Janet's Brown Ale that I brewed and friends that love me for it. I'd also have a Belgian Dubble and seriously be thinking about brewing up a batch of Arrogant Bastard clone since the first one I would have brewed would have been so awesome. I can only imagine how satisfying it must be to enjoy AG brewing.....if only it were legal.
AG brewing is awesome....or so I hear.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

gimmejava Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #43
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the B'ham area and looking for other enthusists. Is there a club out there? The ones I found all seem to be defunct. Would love to meet up with others and shoot the breez etc.

Also, does anyone know of a source for used 5 gallon sankeys or corny kegs in the B'ham area?

Oh, and if it were legal, I'd probably be on my second batch ever (still a newb doing partial mash kits)--pumpkin ale--and have Midwest's Autumn Amber bottled.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #44
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcouch View Post
In the B'ham area and looking for other enthusists. Is there a club out there? The ones I found all seem to be defunct. Would love to meet up with others and shoot the breez etc.

Also, does anyone know of a source for used 5 gallon sankeys or corny kegs in the B'ham area?

Oh, and if it were legal, I'd probably be on my second batch ever (still a newb doing partial mash kits)--pumpkin ale--and have Midwest's Autumn Amber bottled.
The MW Autumn Amber was a big hit with my people. Love that beer. All I can say is Craigslist is your buddy. I put a "Wanted" listing out for kegs and got two replies within a few hours. They kegs weren't listed, so you have to go out of the way a little to find them. As far as clubs go, there are a few scattered around the state, but with the laws being the way they are, no one likes to advertise. From what I've found, they're pretty tight knit groups and you have to know someone who knows someone to really get in.

Kegged - Ryerish Red

― William Shakespeare

Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #45
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The autumn amber did not disappoint. After reading some horror stories on here about first batches gone wrong, everything on mine seemed to turn out fine. But the bottles are a bit over-carbed (I'll measure my final volume next time before dumping the entire bag of priming sugar in)

Oh yea, thanks for the CL tip. Already have a good lead.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #46
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
The autumn amber did not disappoint. After reading some horror stories on here about first batches gone wrong, everything on mine seemed to turn out fine. But the bottles are a bit over-carbed (I'll measure my final volume next time before dumping the entire bag of priming sugar in)

Oh yea, thanks for the CL tip. Already have a good lead.
3/4c (by weight) in 1c water has been the perfect priming measurement for me.

Good luck with the kegs. I'm still wrestling with mine. The gas side works great, but I'm not getting anything out of the liquid. Bought new posts and disconnects and still no love.

Kegged - Ryerish Red

― William Shakespeare

Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #47
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Dumb question, but what do you mean 3/4 cup by weight? Or does the c stand for some other unit of measurement? Hope you get that keg running. Maybe a bad seal somewhere else? Obstruction in the beer dip tube?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #48
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Dumb question, but what do you mean 3/4 cup by weight? Or does the c stand for some other unit of measurement? Hope you get that keg running. Maybe a bad seal somewhere else? Obstruction in the beer dip tube?
Take a paper plate and put it on a scale. Add your dextrose until you hit 3/4 cup. A measuring cup is by volume and won't give you an accurate amount because different ingredients weight different amounts.

I'm gonna win the fight with those kegs if it kills me. I've replaced the posts, o-rings, and traded out lids. The dip tubes look clear, but there's an issue I haven't found yet (obviously). If they hold pressure, then something's gotta give. I have a pecan brown that's been in the fermenter for almost 5 weeks that I'm dying to drink. I don't have enough space or bottles right now to store them.

Kegged - Ryerish Red

― William Shakespeare

Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #49
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've got a three day weekend coming up. If brewing was legal in AL, I'd be planning on making a 6 gallon batch of Skeeter Pee, even though summer is over.

Of course, with it not being legal, there was no point in ordering the tannin, yeast nutrient and energizer from NB, so I didn't....

Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #50
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I hear ya. If it weren't illegal, I'd be brewing an old ale this weekend for a family Christmas party. But alas, I'll probably just make 5gal of a sweet barley tea.

Kegged - Ryerish Red

― William Shakespeare

Quick Reply