Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Florida HomeBrew Forum > Sunshine Challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default Sunshine Challenge

Didn't get any responses last year but that's not stopping me from posting it again this year.

Sunshine Challenge. Tabs on the left for more info. If a page is wonky hit refresh and it should clean up.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

A few pics from the event. Almost 600 entries. I entered 8 brews and won 3 medals (1 of each 'color'). Very happy overall, had a great time, and learned a lot. Got to meet Ray Daniels and he signed my DGB book. But can I just win a raffle item one friggin time?

A few of the bottles from Belgian Night:

My cage for two days (cellarmaster):

Here's the inside after the first round was complete:

Judging (Ray Daniels near center in red shirt):

BOS judging. I was pretty sure the Category 3 beer was mine but it got booted off the island around 7th-8th:

Awards banquet (dude standing on left is the Heavy Medal winner with 9 medals, Josh Brengle):

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Nice. 3/8 at a 600 entry comp is a pretty good rate.

I'd like to see our local competition moved to a hotel. We have a place that's fine for judging and the banquet that is free so it is hard to move but it makes it hard to hang out Friday night or have a good time at the banquet safely since there are not hotels in walking distance.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3153 Times on 1968 Posts
Likes Given: 2666

I got 3 ribbons also! Two 3rds and a 2nd.

9 entries.

One of them (turns out) was infected and probably was gushing at the judging table. Sorry, judges. Tasted fine, but I dumped the rest of the bottles anyway.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Thanks remilard, no way I was driving any of those nights. We get a slightly reduced rate.

One thing I learned that I'd just assume not was what a Brett hangover is like. Everything smelled the same until after lunch.

And I did drink the first sour I actually liked, Rodenbach Flemish (not the Grand Cru). I'm not giving up on sours just yet.

passedpawn, you must be AD then? Congrats! I met the dude that accepted your awards for you. IIRC, he had a bunch of old Chimay at Belgian night (all those bottles in the upper left in pic), I stayed close by.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3153 Times on 1968 Posts
Likes Given: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
passedpawn, you must be AD then? Congrats! I met the dude that accepted your awards for you. IIRC, he had a bunch of old Chimay at Belgian night (all those bottles in the upper left in pic), I stayed close by.
Yep. That would be Nelson - great guy. Meeting him for beers tonight. Getting my hardware, too

Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Yes, very nice guy.

Ray Daniels was giving the 2nd stage Cicerone exams. I'd kinda like to do it but it's not cheap. I can't seem to find any open BJCP exams, they fill so fast.

Quick Reply