Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Florida HomeBrew Forum > Hunahpu Day Meetup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 AM   #21
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
I just heard that CCB is only letting 3500 people in this year, last year the turn out was 10k?
9k according to CCB's official count for last year. And yes, it is limited to 3,500 this year. They're beefing up security at the entrance gate because you just know a whole ton of people are going to show up and expect to get in.

To them I say, ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoewes View Post
I'm just waiting waiting waiting for 11:00cst to buy my ticket.

I'll be in Tampa (Palm Harbor technically) the whole week for Tampa Weer Week this year.
Sounds good. Hunahpu's day has been a part of Tampa's Beer Week for the past two or three years in a row. I'm sure 7th Son will probably do an afterparty on Sunday, too down in St. Pete. I think they call it the Hunahpu Hangover Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Can we bring Homebrew to share or is that illegal?
Never been to a beer geek event before like this (well except the brews guild party in SD last fall for beer week kickoff but that was a while different vibe).
Sure. Homebrew is fine. I brought a mixed bag of my homebrew last year and people didn't snub it, just drank it with gusto. I'm going to do the same this year with my Hunahpu clone. I know some of the bar staff and a few of the brewers and they're eager to see how close i've gotten to the recipe. It's not an exact clone because I had to sub Guajillo peppers for Pasillas and repitch with champagne yeast at bottling when the Thames Valley yeast farted out on me. But, it's still nice and rich and huna-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoewes View Post
Wait... I'm supposed to let other people taste my beer??? Not sure I have that much self-confidence yet.

Up here (Minnesota) we have Darkness Days (@Surly) and people line up all night and bring the most outrageous stuff for bottle share... I assume that this is very similar. Except for the lining up ALL NIGHT... oh and it's not cold.
It's the same here. There will be some epic bottle sharing going on including rare stuff from all over the world. Everybody should be in a mellow beer drinking mood, so just strike up a conversation with the people around you, crack open a beer and offer people a pour.

I'm sure we'll be sharing some 2010 Maduro and dusty Jai Alai. I might even be able to trade my six year old Sweetwater 420 for something good, maybe a HOTD Dave or somthin', ya never know.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #22
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Should've saved my miserable attempt at barkshack gingermead brewed in 06' I finally threw out the last of it. Horrid stuff. I'm sure the beer zombies would've enjoyed though. LOL!

Hope I can make it, and maybe meet up with some of the HBT folks.

TD

Old 02-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #23
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 172 Posts

A tiny local brewery named Burnt Hickory in Kennesaw, Ga announced they will be pouring at Hunahpu Day. I don't know how they got an in to this, but congratulations to them. Highly recommend trying their stuff.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
aiptasia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
A tiny local brewery named Burnt Hickory in Kennesaw, Ga announced they will be pouring at Hunahpu Day. I don't know how they got an in to this, but congratulations to them. Highly recommend trying their stuff.
All they did was donate a keg or two. They probably still had to buy tickets to the event. A friend of mine manages a local brew pub and they have donated a few sixtels in the past to the effort. No free admission but there is a private tasting area for the brewers representing their beers usually. They'll usually have on various BA stuff for the brewers all day and they can socialize and whatnot.

The beer itself will wind up at one of several filling stations and as previous kegs kick, they'll put on the new kegs and post what's currently pouring on large markerboards. You'll have to make the rounds often at the different pour stations to see what's on tap at any given moment, or do what we do and go to H-day with a lot of friends and report back to each other what's on tap and where it is.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #25
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I announced to my wife that I will be going to this. It was a tough go, but the path is cleared.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #26
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 172 Posts

Good job!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #27
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If anyone is coming from out of town, come give me a shout. My homebrew club, PUBGuild, will be serving at the event! I'll be there with a Baltic Porter I just kegged last night that tastes scrumptuous pre-carb!

Quote:
No free admission but there is a private tasting area for the brewers representing their beers usually.
And they did give each local brewclub five free admissions in exchange for serving at this event!

Also, note it IS a format change this year. The last couple years it has basically been a big tailgate party in a parking lot while everyone waited to buy the bottles. This year is a full-blown beer festival, with about 25 breweries and 6-8 homebrew clubs represented, and including about 20 varieties of CCB beer on tap. It's going to be well worth the $50.00. Also, even though the bottles are $20 each, they sell THE DAY AFTER THE EVENT all over Ebay and Craigslist for $60 each, and the ones that have been aged for a year or two typically sell for $80-120 each. So, come to the fest, buy three bottles, sell two bottles, and you get a bottle for yourself and the beer fest for free!

Quote:
I'm sure 7th Son will probably do an afterparty on Sunday, too down in St. Pete. I think they call it the Hunahpu Hangover Party.
Just to clarify, 7th Sun is not in St. Pete. It's in Dunedin, about 25 miles North of St. Pete. They also host the Hunahpu Hangover Party at their brewery in Dunedin. If you are coming in from out of town, there is LOTSSSSS more going on in St. Pete than Dunedin! Although Dunedin is a cool little town on it's own, and 7thSun is a great little brewery, there are 6 breweries, about a dozen more brewpubs, and hundreds of restaurants and shops in St. Pete, all close to the waterfront and all within about a 3 square mile area at the most. If you come to Tampa Bay for Hunahpu day, spend some time in St. Pete!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

cmoewes Likes This 
Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #28
aiptasia
Recipes 

I know i'll be there.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #29
ja09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
If you are coming in from out of town, there is LOTSSSSS more going on in St. Pete than Dunedin! Although Dunedin is a cool little town on it's own, and 7thSun is a great little brewery, there are 6 breweries, about a dozen more brewpubs, and hundreds of restaurants and shops in St. Pete, all close to the waterfront and all within about a 3 square mile area at the most.
Good to know. I'll be there and I'm just starting to look into hotels. Thinking either downtown St. Pete, downtown Tampa or along the coast somewhere.

On another note, this is my first time and I'm super pumped. Coming from MN and I'll be bringing some rarities from Surly, New Glarus, Toppling Goliath, Central Waters and others. If this is anything like the Darkness Day bottle share, this will be awesome. Just not sure how I'll still be standing after seeing the master taplist

Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #30
cmoewes
New Brew Dude

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja09 View Post
Good to know. I'll be there and I'm just starting to look into hotels. Thinking either downtown St. Pete, downtown Tampa or along the coast somewhere.

On another note, this is my first time and I'm super pumped. Coming from MN and I'll be bringing some rarities from Surly, New Glarus, Toppling Goliath, Central Waters and others. If this is anything like the Darkness Day bottle share, this will be awesome. Just not sure how I'll still be standing after seeing the master taplist
Wait, if you're bringing MN beer what am I supposed to bring

I'm thinking we might need to have a MN contingent planning meeting to prepare for Tampa Beer Week because I keep running into people who are going to be down there.
On Tap: Hibiscus Rye Saison, Steve's Wheaties, Ding Dong IPA, BWine

http://www.talkaboutmy.beer/

Quick Reply