Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Florida HomeBrew Forum > Hunahpu Day Meetup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default Hunahpu Day Meetup

I'll be there. How bout ya'll?

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
I'll be there. How bout ya'll?

Did they announce the date?

TD

Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

March 8th. Ticket sales to the general public on the 20th this month.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
TrickyDick

Recipes 

It a lot of money for a bottle of beer, not to mention the drive time and gas (@ < 10 mpg from about 80 miles away ).

I would like to try it, but what are the tickets, $50 and the bottle 20-25$? I've never tried it before, and might be fun to see what all the hoopla is about.

My daughter has a volleyball "tournament" that day, so I may be hosed. I may see about buying a ticket though, and if I get one, then I will try to make it.

I've heard its sort of a tailgate party campout in the parking lot the night before with BBQ grills, and beer? Is this true? I'm getting a bit old for that, and maybe hitting a hotel and cabbie ride over in the morning would be a bit more my scene. I know technically its illegal to bring homebrew outside of your home, but It would be fun to meet some forum members and share some homebrews, if this is the type of event that it is. I've never been to this before, so I'm not sure what it is all about.

TD

Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
aiptasia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
It a lot of money for a bottle of beer, not to mention the drive time and gas (@ < 10 mpg from about 80 miles away ).
Oh, well if it's inconvenient.....

The furthest person that I met that drove to Hunahpu day last year were from Washington state. There were a heck of a lot of snowbirds that drove down from the upper midwest and the northeast, and all over the south. People come in droves and everyone always brings something interesting to sell/trade/barter or bottle share. I bought a half case of fresh Zombie Dust for cost last year from a guy from Michigan. He brought three cases and had them all sold/traded by 3:00 am last year. It was worth it to him since 3F beers don't distribute to Florida and he was able to free up more trunk space.

Quote:
I would like to try it, but what are the tickets, $50 and the bottle 20-25$? I've never tried it before, and might be fun to see what all the hoopla is about.
Well, since you're near Orlando, i'm sure someone around has a bottle or two in their cellar you can eventually get a taste of. I'm not sure if Orlando has any regular bottle shares but keep your eye open for one or start your own. It's a great way to bring rare beers together in one place and get a taste of some things you've never had before.

Hunahpu is basically Marshal Zhukov, which is a malty Russian Imperial Stout. The treatment they give the beer in the secondary is:

Ancho peppers: A dried pepper common to Mole sauce. It imparts a complex smoked pepper depth without a lot of heat.

Pasilla peppers: Another dried pepper and renown for it's raisin-like pepper quality and flavor. It's sweeter and similar to dried raisins.

Cinnamon: A few sticks of cinnamon go in it for a tasty and fragrant back note. Not very strong on the cinnamon but it's in there.

Cacao nibs: They use crushed cacao (chocolate) nibs for that intense dark chocolate flavor boost.

Vanilla beans: Whole split vanilla beans go into it providing a vanilla balance to the mix.

Now, i'll tell you this: I have had a lot of beers in my life. I have tasted over 500 unique beers just in the past year (on untapp'd) with our bottle share and many more over the course of my lifetime. There have been VERY few beers that not only lived up to the "hype" surrounding them, but just plain exceeded them in my humble opinion.

Hunahpu is one of those beers. It's just that good. If you like Russian Imperial Stouts, you'll love this beer.

Quote:
My daughter has a volleyball "tournament" that day, so I may be hosed. I may see about buying a ticket though, and if I get one, then I will try to make it.
When the general sales tickets go up for sale, you better be on it. They had over 9,000 people last year and are limiting ticket sales to 3,500 this year. I know for a fact that 1,500 tickets have already been sold.

Quote:
I've heard its sort of a tailgate party campout in the parking lot the night before with BBQ grills, and beer? Is this true? I'm getting a bit old for that, and maybe hitting a hotel and cabbie ride over in the morning would be a bit more my scene. I know technically its illegal to bring homebrew outside of your home, but It would be fun to meet some forum members and share some homebrews, if this is the type of event that it is. I've never been to this before, so I'm not sure what it is all about.

TD
It's like a huge beer nerd party. They close the parking lot at the tap room and brewery itself, but the lot across the street at the old Sears building and in other parking lots nearby will be open (although they charge $). The brewery parking lot will contain about eight tap stations for beers, about ten food trucks, two tents for merchandise, four huge circus tents and tables/chairs for seating, two banks of porta-potties and some "state fare" style games such as basketball hoops and other stuff for people to do.

People will start lining up the night before to get in. Expect people in sleeping bags, lawn chairs and all manner of camping gear to be camped out on the sidewalk. There's really no need to do this as anyone with a ticket is guaranteed to get in and guaranteed the opportunity to purchase at least two bottles. People generally do it for fun and it turns into a huge bottle share and tailgate. The staff will start arm banding people at 5:00 am while taking a headcount, and then they'll start letting people in around 11:00 am.. At 1:00 pm, the three hunahpu sales stations will be open and you can get in line and get your guaranteed number of bottles. Bottles cost $20 each, cash and carry, no sales tax.

After that, you're encouraged to hang out, drink 2 oz. pours all day from any of the tap stations, listen to a band or two play and just enjoy yourself. My friends and I will be there and we always stay at the same hotel, which is literally about two blocks away from the brewery. We just arrive the Friday before, park our cars in the hotel parking lot and walk everywhere or take cab rides until we leave on Sunday.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Actually its starting to sound like a lot of fun.

Any tips on how to ensure I get a ticket on the 20th?

TD

Old 01-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
aiptasia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Actually its starting to sound like a lot of fun.

Any tips on how to ensure I get a ticket on the 20th?

TD
You'll need to be all over the Eventbrite ticket page on Monday (tomorrow) at 12:00 pm (noon) on the dot. What I would do is if I really wanted a ticket would be to get my credit card info handy and then open a window to the time.gov website and use their atomic clock to count down the time until noon.

At five seconds to noon, i'd open the link on this page and click the purchase link the second it becomes active. Keep hitting refresh until you can click purchase button and move fast. You'll have five minutes to fill out the web form with your CC info and finalize the purchase. Tickets are instant and downloadable as a PDF file. I highly recommend you print the tickets instead of storing them as a mobile app file on your cell or tablet.

If you see this message "Pending...." it means that over 1,000 people have beat you to the punch and are currently in that five minute window to fill out their info. If that happens, don't give up. WAIT FIVE MINUTES EXACTLY (12:05 pm on the atomic clock) and refresh the page and try again. With about 1,000-1,500 tickets going up for sale, you know some stoner dufus is going to have forgotten his wallet and CC, their two year old will pull a header into the fish tank or diarrhea will strike. So just wait and try again after five minutes.

If you can't get in no matter what, watch the Cigar City facebook page and/or twitter feeds for events where you can purchase whatever tickets they have left directly from the tap room. That would involve a drive for you from Orlando to Tampa but hey... at least it's one more opportunity.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 162 Posts

I'll be coming down Thursday from Atlanta. 3rd year in a row. Can't wait.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 808 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 233

If you buy a ticket and can't go, can you give it to somebody else?

Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 162 Posts

Yes. They said the ticket won't be tied to any individual.

Quick Reply