Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Florida HomeBrew Forum > Buyer beware at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
cclloyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Buyer beware at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

SWMBO and I spent Labor Day weekend at Universal Studios in Orlando doing the rollercoaster thing and basically just playing tourist. We didn't drive all weekend because for one we were staying at one of the hotels on the property - and two, I was beer or cocktail in hand most of the weekend. Anyway, adjacent to the Universal theme parks is big restaurant and entertainment area called City Walk and it has a number of places to eat and drink and make fun of the drunken fools etc. So we go to The Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. for dinner and they have the usual suspects on tap - BMC dominant with Stella, Guinness and Yuengling as well. I happen to like Yuengling as a cheap tasty commercial brew and buy it quite often at the local grocery for about $10.00 a 12 pack. We order our food and I order a Yuengling draft - large or small asks the waiter so of course I say large which is 22oz. So far so good, right? We finish our meal and get our check. I'm looking at it thinking damn this is kinda high for a couple of sandwiches, a soda and a draft beer. It turns out that the Yuengling was $11.50!!! I called the waiter over and advised him that I didn't want the souvenir glass and to please adjust the bill accordingly. Oh no he says, that doesn't include the glass. The glass is another $5 if you want it. I asked him in all seriousness if they were out of their f'ing minds charging that much for a Yuengling draft.
He says no, BG considers Yuengling an "ultra premium domestic" and proceeded to tell me that he agrees that it is a ridiculous price for a draft and marks it down for me to the 16oz. price of $6.50. He obviously saw his tip growing wings and made a smart move to protect it. As it turns out the 22oz. draft is a scam anyway given the price of the 16oz. Of course I realize that they are in it to turn a profit and Orlando is gonna be pricier than most places because it is a tourist mecca but Jesus criminy!! I filled out the comment card with the appropriate derogatory remarks and a vow to never return. Just for comparison sake, a domestic 16oz. draft at Margaritaville is $4.25 and the "ultra premium" varieities are $4.75 - still too high for what it is but more in line with what I expect at a restaurant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You are right to complain if you think it is a rip off.
I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK all establisments bust have a price list in clear view.
So it is buyer beware but IF you don't check then it's your fault.

Still no reason to rip the customer off.

What you can do is state the product is not worthy of the price and offer to pay a fair price. If the vendor can prove you are paying for product plus service then they can argue the toss.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
sterling214
Recipes 

A lot of the time, you will find that if you don't ask to see a beer list at many US restaurants, you will not see the price of the beer. I hope you hit Bob Marley's while you were there, very tasty food.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I feel your pain, brother.

I complained to the manager at Mike's Sports Bar in Lawton, OK after seeing Shiner on the IMPORT side of the menu and charging a premium price for it.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Shiner is an import? Is Texas a foreign country then?

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 09-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

That's another very common tactic used in the industry - labeling beers as imports - Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Shiner - anything that isn't BMC. Finnegan's Pub at Universal Studios has Killians as an import. Huh?

I do agree about asking the price - which I did not - so I was at fault in that context but I still am gonna squeal when they try to put it in my backside.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If I don't see a price list, I ask how much and how big is the glass. That beer would have cost you $8.50 in an airport bar and that's getting screwed, but at least it's lubricated.

$11.50 for glass of domestic pee pee wasser is more than getting screwed. It's practically criminal IMHO since you do not know till you get the bill. It's not hard for me to toss back 3 of those big beers, but my jaw would have dropped to see a tab of $34.50 plus tax, plus tip bringing it up to $40 for 3 freaking beers.

I know folks will say, "Well, don't drink there". No problem, post the prices and see how many folks order water. Bottom line, I would not visit an establishment that gouges customers on beer.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Borisbbadd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

$11.50 for a glass of beer, thats discusting..................

Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Borisbbadd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
Shiner is an import? Is Texas a foreign country then?

If you live in Utah, everywhere is a foreign country.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

that place sucks anyway. i went to one in san francisco, will never go again. food was lame, everything was overpriced and their beer selection was lacking.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply