Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Florida HomeBrew Forum > Brewing in S.FL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
Taintedhops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing in S.FL

I'm about to brew my second batch, the first was good but sweet. I think my temp was on the high side for the ale. Now I'm gonna brew a IPA. How can I keep my temp down in S.FL where it's 80 on Jan 4, 2013.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedhops
I'm about to brew my second batch, the first was good but sweet. I think my temp was on the high side for the ale. Now I'm gonna brew a IPA. How can I keep my temp down in S.FL where it's 80 on Jan 4, 2013.
It's about like that here in SC in the spring and much hotter in the summer. I only brew ales and I simply turn the AC up a bit and Chill the hell out of the wort before pitching, get it down to the high 60s, of course that is assuming you have a chiller. Brewing in the south you need one. I also put my fermenter on a tile floor where i think its cooler, but I don't if it really makes a difference.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Taintedhops
Recipes 

I don't have a chiller yet, can I put it in the fridge for like 15 or 30 min?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedhops
I don't have a chiller yet, can I put it in the fridge for like 15 or 30 min?
I'm not sure how long it would take, never tried because I don't have room in the fridge for 5 gallons, but it would be better than room temp for sure. I know people do it, just aim for a few degrees below your target fermentation temp, probably in the 60s. Go for it! Just know that it will bring down your fridge temp too... I wouldnt worry about it unless you're keeping raw poultry in there. That reminds me, keep the lid on with your airlock until you pull it out to take the temp.

Quick Reply