Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > Georgia HomeBrew Forum > Savannah recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
choptop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Savannah recommendations?

Anybody got any must-see pubs in/around the Historic District of Savannah? I'm taking my wife for a few days next week we're trying to narrow down which spots we have to hit while we're there.

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live” - Charles Bukowski

VOTE FOR MY LATEST SHIRT DESIGN ON THREADLESS!

www.andyhuntdesigns.com
twitter.com/andyhunt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Man, I haven't been to Savannah in a few years now. There used to be an Irish pub next door to Paula Dean's mega-restaurant, but I can't remember the name of it. There were also a few places about a half a block down and then a half block beyond that was a little square and there was this underground/lower level bar of some type. Okay, I realize none of that is really very helpful, other than to say, there ARE places down near the historic area that aren't too hard to find.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
choptop
Recipes 

Heh, thanks. We've been looking online and found a handful of good looking brewpubs (The Distillery and Moon River, among others). Just fishing for recommendations. I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunity for drunkeness, regardless.

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live” - Charles Bukowski

www.andyhuntdesigns.com
twitter.com/andyhunt

Old 05-05-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We went to a number of bars around Savannah when we visited a couple of years ago. Nothing interesting or memorable except Moon River and The Distillery...

If you visit Distillery, grab some crab cake sandwiches. Superb!

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 05-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
choptop
Recipes 

Awesome, will do. Crab cake sandwiches are always a winner.

www.andyhuntdesigns.com
twitter.com/andyhunt

Old 05-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think the Irish place next to The Lady & Sons might have been O'Connell's. It seemed fine, but don't recall too much about it. Not sure if The Lady & Sons is still standing room only. It used to be, if you got a pretty cool attendant at the check in line, they would note that you were next door at the bar and they'd come and get you when your table was ready. If you got an A-hole attendant they made you wait outside for two hours. Screw that, her food was good, but not THAT good!

Enjoy your trip! I've been to Savannah a number of times and really fell in love with the place.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
choptop
Recipes 

Thanks! I haven't been there since before I was even old enough to drink in a bar, so it should be a fun trip. I'm long overdue for a vacation (but aren't we all).

www.andyhuntdesigns.com
twitter.com/andyhunt

Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
mixmasterob
Recipes 

Gotta hit the Distillery. Super nice spot. The IPA Onion Rings are pretty solid too.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
choptop
Recipes 

Back from Savannah. The Distillery was fantastic. Hung out there at some point about every day that I was there. The GM, Ben, is a really cool guy and shared a few mystery beers he had taking up space in the cellar w/ my wife and I. If I were to ever move to the area (which is a possibility down the road), that would definitely be my home base.
Moon River had a few really good beers, but of course they only serve their own, so the selection is limited to what they've recently produced at any given time. The Swamp Fox IPA was great.

Other recommendations for anyone else who goes: b.MATTHEWS on Bay St has fantastic food, free wifi, and a handful of good beers (Victory, New Belgium, Dogfish Head, Stone).
The same people that own b.MATTHEWS own a bbq joint on MLK called Blowin' Smoke that has a similar beer selection and really damn good brisket.
Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub has a good selection of English/Irish/Scottish beers, but more importantly they have an EPIC list of single malt scotches.

www.andyhuntdesigns.com
twitter.com/andyhunt

Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by choptop View Post
Moon River had a few really good beers, but of course they only serve their own, so the selection is limited to what they've recently produced at any given time. The Swamp Fox IPA was great.
I liked Moon River quite a bit. The fact that you could take a beer to go was awesome. (the whole lack of open container laws in the historical district is awesome)

They also have $2 screen printed pint glasses, although, of the 4 I bought, only 1 made it home, and the 3 fatalities all looked like they'd been chipped prior to being wrapped.

They make a good crab melt too.

Quick Reply